You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

A growing trend

35 comments in this topic

[RAN]
Members
984 posts
11,592 battles

What i see lately is a growing trend for battleships to not move, to targets till halfway through the game then  they move like in this last game i had and move at from what i saw half speed.. I know they didn't have technical problems as they were turning but they didn't make a concerted move. At 10mins left on the clock they were only less than half way to the cap while others were effectively engaging and taking more damage than they needed to.

In my last game 2 bb's and 2 cruisers, a third of our force just sat there leaving the other 2 thirds to face a full team so they can come in like heroes on full health and clean up the damaged ships and claim kills, if they are good enough.

Tell me wargaming what can we do about this as its a growing trend. Sure you can report them but its my experience that this doesn't really do anything unless  you put in a support ticket which i will do.

Members
341 posts
1,994 battles

Yea, there's a lot more people playing BBs with the tournament going on and they clearly have no idea what they are doing. So freaking timid, screwing over all their teammates who are CAs or DDs.

Members
858 posts
15,015 battles

Not new.  Been like this since release.  You can't report them for playing the way they wish.  WG needs to make bb range the same or less then ca/cls.  Then they will have to move up and not end up with a 9% hit rate. 

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,747 battles

Yea, there's a lot more people playing BBs with the tournament going on and they clearly have no idea what they are doing. So freaking timid, screwing over all their teammates who are CAs or DDs.

yup, though for DD players its a good time to farm some EXP! lots of dumb BB players is always welcome when your'e a DD captain!:teethhappy:

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Tournament? Do you mean the elements event?

Because going BB is quite a silly choice for that; a rapid fire DD or CL is so much better for racking up those sweet, sweet hit ribbons.

Beta Testers
237 posts
12,560 battles

Not new.  Been like this since release.  You can't report them for playing the way they wish.  WG needs to make bb range the same or less then ca/cls.  Then they will have to move up and not end up with a 9% hit rate. 

I don't understand what makes you think that FORCING players solves all and every problem in existence?

Members
4,608 posts

What i see lately is a growing trend for battleships to not move, to targets till halfway through the game then  they move like in this last game i had and move at from what i saw half speed

I've learned over the course of some 2500 BB battles that if I move full speed from the beginning, all that happens is I get focused, my allies turn away, and I sink within 5 minutes into the game.  When that happens players like you scream why did I yolo?  And OMG, what a terrible BB captain you are!

I probably have some 90% of all CA allies abandon me if I push right away, which leads to the question, why should I push if I'm just going to be abandoned?  I've found a delayed push is much more effective as it allows me to see what I really need to do.  Should push, or should I fight a delaying action.  Am I on the strong, or weak side against the strong or weak side.

Positioning is everything for a BB.

• Cool 7

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles

I've learned over the course of some 2500 BB battles that if I move full speed from the beginning, all that happens is I get focused, my allies turn away, and I sink within 5 minutes into the game.  When that happens players like you scream why did I yolo?  And OMG, what a terrible BB captain you are!

I probably have some 90% of all CA allies abandon me if I push right away, which leads to the question, why should I push if I'm just going to be abandoned?  I've found a delayed push is much more effective as it allows me to see what I really need to do.  Should push, or should I fight a delaying action.  Am I on the strong, or weak side against the strong or weak side.

Positioning is everything for a BB.

+1.  I usually start moving, but slowly, at least until I see how things are shaping up in the battle.  Rushing in without support usually doesn't end very well.  

b

Members
2,334 posts
6,897 battles
If this is in Standard Battle what you see are experienced players know the 2/3's of the team are going to boarder skirt and abandon the Base. They think they are going to rush around and get the enemy base this fails about 90% of the time leaving the home base empty and the enemy ships come down the middle and win. At the beginning of Standard battles I remind the heavy slow ships Remember the Base Defense. So before you start reporting players because of your ignorance gain some experience and realize there is a lot to this game instead of Lemming trails.

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles

I lay back a bit at the start but as things start to fall into place you see places where you can really make a difference- which I think is generally the way that BBs can succeed. At least, that's the way they work for me reasonably well. Some people never really push up and sit back shooting at things at range... missing more often than not and ultimately get focus fired to death at the end while they're the last boat standing. From a survival standpoint I suppose that works for them- because usually the other team has capped to 1000 by then... but I know it can be infuriating for team members. 

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
5,855 battles

Well... Now I at least know why BB's are failing to push... Don't chip my paint syndrome it seems is alive and well.

You don't need anyone to 'stay and defend the base'. You need players that can read the mini map and react to it.

Members
858 posts
15,015 battles

I don't understand what makes you think that FORCING players solves all and every problem in existence?

I don't understand why you think bbs need to have 20km range.  90% of players can't effectively play at that range, but try anyway.  Move up 5 km and all the sudden they can actually hit things.  Bbs are supposed to get shot at.  They are the tanks of the game.  Sadly most of them think they are snipers via bad advice, and wg giving top end bbs over 20km range. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,522 posts
28,454 battles

That'd be pretty awesome...  force the BBs to be the tanks they need to be :)
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

tater tactics is to log in late.  I've been seeing this with DDs as wel now.  lol.      BBs are easiest class and I have highest stats with  them even though I dont' play them as much. Good for padding my stats.    Situation awareness is OP though.   I actually wouldn't mind BBs having same max range as cruisers of the tier.  minimize sniping.

[SPTR]
Members
2,462 posts
3,945 battles

No.

Just no.

I'm not the kind of guy that sits back and does nothing. I mostly run NC/Bama and tend to play them fairly aggressively (not stupidly, aggressively). But the range is useful. Lowering the range would make USN/IJN BBs completely irrelevant and make the already really strong German BBs completely dominant, as this would force everyone to fight close up. This would also bring on a lot of cruiser players whining about BB OP, because even more battleship players would be driving around at 10-15km - perfect distance to delete broadside cruisers.

Members
858 posts
15,015 battles

No.

Just no.

I'm not the kind of guy that sits back and does nothing. I mostly run NC/Bama and tend to play them fairly aggressively (not stupidly, aggressively). But the range is useful. Lowering the range would make USN/IJN BBs completely irrelevant and make the already really strong German BBs completely dominant, as this would force everyone to fight close up. This would also bring on a lot of cruiser players whining about BB OP, because even more battleship players would be driving around at 10-15km - perfect distance to delete broadside cruisers.

so no because it would make people perform better in bbs.  Lul

[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts
16,276 battles

It's not growing, it is rampant. I love to play BB's but I have to admit most BB players drive me nuts, especially the ones on my team.

I think WG could easily fix this though.

Give BB's points for every point of damage healed.

• Cool 1

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

Ah, yes...hugely frustrating.  It really is a simple thing though.  Consider this - my Fuso can shoot 20+ km.  That means, given that tier, if I am 15 km away from a cruiser I am completely immune in the case of all but Budy, K-berg/N-berg, Molly.  I might be more effective a little close...but, I still get some hits at this range with near zero risk.  I am held back only by accuracy.  The range gap remains wide right through Tier X and vision dominance decides matches.  That's not to say you should play a BB to best effect that way, but it's not hard to understand.

The biggest challenge I face in any tier cruiser?  Actually getting close enough to shoot at the enemy team.  There are only two ways for that to happen:

1. Good DD play allows for vision control and elimination of enemy DD/cruisers.  I like this option best, don't always see it.

2. Aggressive BB play that gives the enemy something else to shoot at. This requires even more teamwork than option "1" and is exceedingly rare.  

My most frustrating matches in Hindenburg are when I am continuously spotted with no ability to see/shoot the spotter and go stealth.  Every class of ship needs to exercise vision control to some extent in order to facilitate maneuver.  Without it, just surviving becomes very difficult.  That's how you get all this island humping and somewhat passive play, I reckon.  Folks use terrain not because they want to play WoT on the water, but because it is often the only way they can control vision.

• Cool 1

[CWD]
Members
45 posts
11,044 battles

I would love to turn this around.

Say....after 5 min of no activity there is no team killer status earned and I can go hunt them down.

I know...I know there are legitimate afk reasons. but still........

What would happen to any team sport and you back off.....stay in huddle...asleep in the outfield....whatever. There would be repercussions.

I can dream cant I.

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles

What's the tournament?  I haven't heard of this yet.

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles

What's funny is everyone that believes other players will move up if only the "baBBies" would push up. But the truth is that rarely happens.  Most of the time those pushing bbs get abandoned and focused. 

If you really want to see bbs push give those long range rapid fire he spammers the same dispersion as battleships. Or at the least give those bbs rudder shift times that let them dodge something.

Stop complaining because you want high hp pinatas to make you stats look good and risk your own ship when you do see an aggressive push. I have nothing but respect for the players that actually support aggressive play but they are few and far between.

• Cool 1

[EATER]
Beta Testers
1,946 posts
9,377 battles

You don't need anyone to 'stay and defend the base'. You need players that can read the mini map and react to it.

It's exactly that reason bbs don't Yolo rush at the start if they know what they're doing.

Bbs are big n slow... a BB that just w forward at the start will find himself cut off from support at worst, and in a spot on the map where he can't do anything useful nor get where he's needed in time to be useful, at best.

Bbs need to plan their positioning far ahead to be most effective because they lack the maneuverability to reposition quickly.  That's why experienced BB drivers take the early part of a match slow.

What's really telling in your post isn't that BB drivers don't know what they're doing, but rather that your experience is either limited to much more nimble and versatile ships, at best, or is just lacking altogether, at worst.

• Cool 2

[EATER]
Beta Testers
1,946 posts
9,377 battles

I don't understand why you think bbs need to have 20km range.  90% of players can't effectively play at that range, but try anyway.  Move up 5 km and all the sudden they can actually hit things.  Bbs are supposed to get shot at.  They are the tanks of the game.  Sadly most of them think they are snipers via bad advice, and wg giving top end bbs over 20km range. 

Here's the problem... in,this game there's no such thing as threat control.

Bbs may be the tankiest ships in the game, sure, but they can't force the enemy to shoot at them instead of you.

All things being equal (both BB n cruiser are full hp and angled the same) If I see a BB and a cruiser both 5km from me... guess what, I'm not shooting that bb first.  That BB could be scraping paint with me n I'll still be focusing on the squishy cruiser first.