Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

Aoba doesn't like me

20 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,345 posts
9,634 battles

I am struggling with Aoba.  I went through Furutaka in her pre-buff form, but also before Tier III and IV protected matchmaking made Tiers V and IV so much more "fun."  The problem I am having with Aoba, I think, is that her range is too short for the Tier VIII matches I keep getting placed into.

What I try to do is hang back until other ships engage so I don't become the wonderful "first spotted, first deleted", but when my allies stand off longer than my range for most of the game I can't do much, and win or lose get little experience.  If I try to close earlier I become the closest visible target and enemy BBs go for me as a free kill.

Any advice to help me improve?

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

I can't give you advice I can only commiserate. The Aoba has a good reputation as a solid performer but I could never get it to work for me and had better luck with other IJN CAs. The Ibuki was the same story. I'll give her another shot down the road but for now it just seems a simple matter of some ships you click with and some you don't. Others will have good advice I am sure.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,345 posts
9,634 battles

To give perspective, I really enjoyed using my big guns on pre-buff Furutaka.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

11 sec reload 8-inch HE spam with 2 front twin turrets...pretty much all about it.

Tier 8 seems to be where the cowardice begins working at full force, nothing you can do about it...

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

The Aoba can't go nose-to-nose with any battleships.

And if they have concealment, they will sneak up and delete you in one salvo.

Stick close to islands, and stay back a bit since you can't dance around like a destroyer.  Use your WASD when focused and refrain from Yolo-ing.

The Aoba was the very first ship I lost credits on in Co-OP.

• Cool 1

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,389 posts
29,467 battles

I haven't played her since.6.3.

Normally you would sit at near max range and delete broadside ships.

Now, I bieve, you sit in back of pack on a pushing flank, or defending flank and be that nuisance ship.

Beta Testers
303 posts
1,529 battles

I am struggling with Aoba.  I went through Furutaka in her pre-buff form, but also before Tier III and IV protected matchmaking made Tiers V and IV so much more "fun."  The problem I am having with Aoba, I think, is that her range is too short for the Tier VIII matches I keep getting placed into.

What I try to do is hang back until other ships engage so I don't become the wonderful "first spotted, first deleted", but when my allies stand off longer than my range for most of the game I can't do much, and win or lose get little experience.  If I try to close earlier I become the closest visible target and enemy BBs go for me as a free kill.

Any advice to help me improve?

Does your captain have Concealment Expert? I found that being able to get it after the captain skill shuffle was a huge quality of life improvement. It drops the spotting range to a little over ten kilometers, making it easier to fire a few shots and then vanish again if too many people are taking notice of you.
  • Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,345 posts
9,634 battles

Does your captain have Concealment Expert? I found that being able to get it after the captain skill shuffle was a huge quality of life improvement. It drops the spotting range to a little over ten kilometers, making it easier to fire a few shots and then vanish again if too many people are taking notice of you.

None of my captains have enough skill points for CE.  I had planned on keeping Furutaka so she still has my best Japanese captain.  Perhaps I should sell her and retrain him.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I haven't played her after T5/6 MM got messed up, but before that, I used to play her as a cruiser hunter. But if you're being placed into T8 matches a lot, I guess that's not really a viable option. If all fails, just stick with the team and target anything you can. 

Members
100 posts
5,479 battles

It is frustrating to play in games that turn into 18KM artillery duels where both teams just bunch up, because yes if you try to sneak into range and fire you will draw attention, or you will be working your way into position and a DD spots you but you cant see him and you have to retreat. Those matches still happen on the Myoko on certain maps. Just gotta be patient and wait for an opening, for a DD to pop up or for someone to move out of the pack and do what damage you can. Nice thing about being up tiered is that you still rake off good credits and exp even when I had what I considered a poor performance game damage wise.

I just got CE on my IJN cappy towards the end of the Aoba grind and it really helps. I feel totally vulnerable playing without CE. When I moved my cappy from Aoba to Myoko I played nothing but Co-op till my cappy was retrained as playing without PT and CE felt like suicide. So used to that PT counter ...when it wasn't there due to training I assumed no one was shooting at me till I caught a salvo from a BB and lost half HPs LOL.

In the Aoba at long range I would usually try and target BBs especially at long range cause they are big and slow and easy to hit with the good guns arcs, with your high fire chance get them burning. Fire a salvo or two, get a fire going and go dark, let your spotting clear and do it again. Don't sail broadside, I usually keep positioned angled away from my target so I can keep all guns pointing at them put quickly get my stern pointed at them if they return fire.

Members
82 posts
2,913 battles

try and solo out lone enemy cruisers and pen the crap out of their sides with AP, closing the distance if possible (while remaining cautious of torpedoes and other enemies on your flanks of course.) you have big guns with a fast-ish reload, and most of them are pointing straight forward. use your speed, narrow frontal profile, and forward focused gun batteries to play aggressively when possible, but careful not to overextend otherwise your thinly armored sides will be penned.

Members
522 posts

Do people ever live though a game with this thing?

First game I ran down and sank a Belfast, second I head on tanked a running Nagato and sank it with torpedoes. Any time I show a broadside I get deleted from anywhere out to 15 km. I'm killing things and doing reasonable damage for me, but I think my survival in it is about 5%.

Members
100 posts
5,479 battles

Not sure what my survival rate is, I would have to check. I really like my Aoba, kept here for my tier 6 ship in port.  Your statement is kinda funny that anytime you  show broadside you get deleted, cause showing broadside is THE PRIMARY way to get insta deleted. Don't think its the Aoba either, cause a well aimed BB salvo will cripple the Myok oat the next tier as well, my Yorck takes a beating as well if I take salvo in the side. The tier 5 Kirov is even worse it can be citadeled from any angle by high tier BBs. I killed a tier 4 French cruiser with a citadel salvo from my Konig and she was sailing away from me highly angled at prolly 70+ degrees, he was doing everything right and still got deleted (apart from getting to 8km from me).. Watch your PT counter. I try and operate outside my view range early on so I can fire, and if I start to get targeted I can cease fire and disappear. She is pretty maneuverable so if you are getting fired at WASD your tail off. Use your stealth, islands and WASD, but even then at times you will catch a well placed BB salvo and those are just gonna wreck you especially since the BBs are going to out range you.

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

Not sure what my survival rate is, I would have to check. I really like my Aoba, kept here for my tier 6 ship in port.  Your statement is kinda funny that anytime you  show broadside you get deleted, cause showing broadside is THE PRIMARY way to get insta deleted. Don't think its the Aoba either, cause a well aimed BB salvo will cripple the Myok oat the next tier as well, my Yorck takes a beating as well if I take salvo in the side. The tier 5 Kirov is even worse it can be citadeled from any angle by high tier BBs. I killed a tier 4 French cruiser with a citadel salvo from my Konig and she was sailing away from me highly angled at prolly 70+ degrees, he was doing everything right and still got deleted (apart from getting to 8km from me).. Watch your PT counter. I try and operate outside my view range early on so I can fire, and if I start to get targeted I can cease fire and disappear. She is pretty maneuverable so if you are getting fired at WASD your tail off. Use your stealth, islands and WASD, but even then at times you will catch a well placed BB salvo and those are just gonna wreck you especially since the BBs are going to out range you.

99.5% of all cruisers are stupidly fragile. Only Moskva has real armor. Kirov is awful in that regard, but she's not really meant to be a keeper, just an instructor in the way you play the following tiers of Russian Cruisers.

Aoba's true weakness is in her ridiculously poor range. It takes a lot of work and a skilled captain(with CE), as well as a skilled human to get her to perform well. I've seen it done, though.

Can't speak for de Frenchies yet, as I'm holding off on them for the moment, but they're generally vulnerable to just about everything in the low tiers. That said, they have relatively solid hard and soft stats in a way that much less ships these days do, and they have quite powerful armament in the low tiers as well.

Members
522 posts

Oh I like it too, it's just moving round the map without showing a broadside at some point that is the problem :)

I do have CE and AFT, it's just breaking contact that is the problem at the moment. 

Members
100 posts
5,479 battles

I checked, I ran about a 50% survivability rate on my Aoba so it can survive an engagement. With Aoba and Myoko their guns arcs are so good you can reliably hit at max range, and range is life. I noticed BBs will take a pock shot salvo at you at that range, wiggle and all their shells miss, so they give up and try and find an easier to hit target, most of the time. On suggestion is to stay with the BBs and as the try and close with one another and mix it up, pick out one and burn em down. Had an enemy Tirpitz and an Ally Bismarck scrapping last night in my Myoko. I stayed 4-5km behind the Bismarck, the Tirpitz fired one salvo at me and got nothing but water while the Bismarck was hammering him so he turned his attention back to my ally. I reduced speed to 1/4 and just made it rain HE racking up 30k damage and getting the kill as he burned to death.  That tactic obviously does not work when everyone bunches up and tries to pay artillery duel though.

Aoba is not a brawler and neither is Myoko, so I try to keep people at range. I played on a map the other day and a cyclone came in and reduced visibility on my Myoko. I was surprised by a Cleveland who tore me up with those fast guns at a range of less than 8 km, and with crappy torp arcs I could not get any fish in the water. Seems like anytime I  close the distance with ships, bad things happen lol.

Aoba was a fun ship and if you can get her to work, the Myoko is even better and they play pretty similar if not exactly the same.

Members
19 posts
4,528 battles

Put out some rounds and when you gain attention, throw it's long range torps and j-hook away, throw torps from the other side then too.  Screws up the enemy's push by forcing them to zoom out to maneuver, thereby reducing incoming damage to your team, or get smacked.  They lose you as primary while they're dodging and you fade back behind a couple of your buddies.  Rinse, repeat.

[CVA16]
Members
8,886 posts
27,111 battles

Put out some rounds and when you gain attention, throw it's long range torps and j-hook away, throw torps from the other side then too.  Screws up the enemy's push by forcing them to zoom out to maneuver, thereby reducing incoming damage to your team, or get smacked.  They lose you as primary while they're dodging and you fade back behind a couple of your buddies.  Rinse, repeat.

When making that J-maneuver you will likely be the closest target to the enemy (bad etiquette to fire torps with friendlies between you and the reds) and showing a nice juicy broadside to anyone that happens to be looking your way. All for a chance that you can get a torp to land. You have to really hope they are distracted.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
30,554 battles

The Aoba is the one ship I regret buying premium camo for. After "Furry Taco" I was excited about unlocking her and bought the camo without playing her. I tried her in Co-op one game and free xp'd all her upgrades. Tried her again, still a rotten ship. It has totally stopped all my forward momentum in IJN cruisers because of her. I repurchased my Furry Taco and have fun in her leaving the Aoba to rot in port. It has terrible gun traverse speed, horribad torp launcher angles, and terribad armor. Her only saving grace is concealment which is great if you don't want to fight in her. She is ok at fighting other cruisers but just can not cut the mustard in dealing with DDs or BBs. I love cruisers, even squishy ones like the Omahas but just hate the Aoba. DO NOT BUY THE PREMIUM CAMO FOR HER UNLESS YOU CAN MAKE HER WORK! I have blown lots of money in my life on stupid stuff but I regret the 5 or 10 dollars I spent on her camo more than all the crap I have ever wasted money on.

Edited by Taylor3006

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

I remember the Aoba was a good ship, even in PvP, back then...But that was many ships ago.  The meta has changed, the competition has tightened.  The Aoba is also killed by the tier wall.  Back when it occasionally faces Tier 4-5-6 it would be fine.  Now it just faces Tier 5-6 and lots of Tier 7 and 8 ships.  Back when the population was still playing a lot of low to mid tier ships, it was fine.  But by now the majority of the player population is long been on high tiers.  Matchmaking tends to gravitate where the majority of the player population is.

Rather than have a flat out tier divide around Tier 4/5, they should change it in such a way that individual ships have a limit in facing lower tiers, individual ships have a limit in facing higher tiers.  That may complicate match making a bit, but such a system exists in limited fashion in WoT.  

The power creep in the game has grown in such an extent that the disparity of lower tier ships facing higher tier ships is astoundingly ridiculous (e.g. Omaha facing Belfast, Fiji, or Shchors, for example).  

Edited by Eisennagel
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this