Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
X15

Cruiser population is down they said

21 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Kumquats I say!

XMelvJX.jpg

Extreme example but I have seen one battle with less than 50% cruisers today.

This was tier 7 for those who wondered

Thoughts on cruisers and their place in the balance?

Cruisers themselves seem under-powered, until you factor in fire damage and its %hp DOT

Edited by X15

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Cruisers as a whole are fine.  Individual ships like Nurnberg need some attention, but the main reason people don't play them isn't because they don't do damage.  It's because their fun is more likely to be cut short if they don't use their brain.

Members
5,450 posts
21,046 battles

Last few weeks I've seen fewer Destroyers in the Tier 7 neighborhood, with only 1 or 3 being in a match. 

But Go play a T9 match and its 4 or 5 per side. 

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Cruisers as a whole are fine.  Individual ships like Nurnberg need some attention, but the main reason people don't play them isn't because they don't do damage.  It's because their fun is more likely to be cut short if they don't use their brain.

DPM is harder to maintain than alpha strikes. Particularly if you mess up your positioning. For Nurnberg in particular, with its rear firepower and fairly poor angles, you need to learn how to protect yourself to turn around. But because of the 16mm angled stern you can tank other cruisers to a degree from the back. But only after you've made the turn of broadsides.
Edited by X15

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Tell ya why, it's the mad rush to try out the new french cruisers. Same thing happened when the british cruiser line came out.  FOTM.  Plus the Duca came out. It will die down in a week.

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,098 battles

But last patch didn't work. I still see 4-5 DD per team at high tier games.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
814 posts
7,968 battles

I play my Mino more then any other ship lately.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Kumquats I say!

XMelvJX.jpg

Cruisers themselves seem under-powered, until you factor in fire damage and its %hp DOT

Confirmation bias. 

noun. 

The tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,164 posts
30,915 battles

The reason Cruiser numbers are up is because there's a new line of ships being tried out, i.e. French Cruisers.

Here's how it is with 1 week stats with ships leading in battles played.  Cruisers are up but take note the amount of French Cruisers seeing action.

qTRz9LS.jpg

Go back to 2 weeks and this is how things looked.  This is normal.

TCMFcfH.jpg

Also, for all the dancing, for all the huge amount of hits a Cruiser can do, for the amount of fires they can inflict against a Battleship, never for one moment believe that a BB cannot delete the Cruiser in one salvo.  All the BB needs is that one shot.  And when we have BBs as the most played ships in the game, that typically means lots of BBs per game.  Those chances of "that one salvo" goes up quite a bit.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,648 battles

Kumquats I say!

XMelvJX.jpg

Interesting choice of what to screenshot, I wonder what tier that might have been. :yes_cap:

The big problem with cruisers right now isn't the damage they deal, although how they deal it might not appeal to many, it's their ability to survive. One wrong turn, one bad move, any mistake at all and you pay dearly for it. Nearly 50% of my games played are in cruisers and I like to think I am fairly decent in them but I still make the occasional mistake and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly the enemy pounces on me. I don't think blanket buffs (or BB nerfs) are what is needed to entice players into wanting to take cruisers out for a spin, I've long thought about the problem but don't know what the solution might be. Cruisers might just always be the high-risk/high-skill floor line of ships in the game.

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Confirmation bias. 

noun. 

The tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

Confirmation bias..

I'm sure you're both right.

Here's another one today:

fdd23LL.jpg

Also, there is maybe one french ship per match. But I can see how we are just in a phase.

Interesting choice of what to screenshot, I wonder what tier that might have been. :yes_cap:

Tier 7

You're welcome to look at my ships played today

Edited by X15

[EATER]
Beta Testers
1,946 posts
9,386 battles

But last patch didn't work. I still see 4-5 DD per team at high tier games.

That's because a lot of the high tier rd players don't have any other high tier ships so that's all the can climb into if they're in the mood for T9 or 10.

Which, due to confirmation bias, makes them particularly unsuited to judge high tier balance issues as they relate to dds relative to other ships.

[SG]
Beta Testers
61 posts
9,067 battles

I was just in a tier x match. 9 BB, 1 CV, 1 DD, 1 CA per team.  Sadly, I was in a minotaur. Don't think that single examples are indicative of the overall ship class balance. 

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Confirmation bias. 

noun. 

So, there's two screenshots of two games.

How does that show there are more or less cruisers in the game overall?

You can find that from two games?

Edited by Wulfgarn

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

I've had at least 5 cruisers on each team in every match I've played for the last 3 days. So, no, they aren't gone. :D

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

You realize he's agreeing with you, right?

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

You can't. You need overall statistics from WG in order to get that. I listed the definition of confirmation bias because the OP was only using his games to try to make the case that cruiser populations are not decreasing. 
Edited by 1Sherman

Members
139 posts
18,201 battles

We don't know what tier this is at.  For all we know, this could be Tier 2.

But generally high cruiser populations are tier 2-7.  At T8+ cruisers get punished by bbs and then you only see 2-4 cruisers per team (instead of 3-6 at tier 5-7).

And in other cases like screenshot, you get extreme amount of cruisers.   

Thoughts on their balance.  They're fine for the most part, individual ships do need it like the previously mention Nurnburg.  I think Pensacola, Emerald, and Omaha could use some more tender love and caring, possibly the Shchors as well.

Edited by Thunderstruck2016

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

Nurnberg, and Hipper.

[KILL]
Members
589 posts
8,052 battles

You're free to add it all up if you want a more comprehensive view. https://na.warships.today/vehicles

At T10 yesterday: 5018 games in cruisers, 4630 in BBs, 4697 in DDs, 331 in CVs. The only tiers where I'd expect battleships to be more common are T6-T8.

In any case, I don't think cruisers are well designed- their roles are a little too poorly defined and it isn't quite as clear how to play them as it is for DDs and BBs. They have utility, but it's easy for new players to misuse it since most of it is short duration with very long cooldown. To compensate for this, they have huge damage outputs, but because it relies upon a lot of uptime on target (thus smart movement and use of concealment vs. being outspotted by DDs and having inferior armor and pen to BBs) it's not easy for really bad or really new players to take advantage of it. On the other side I think cruisers probably overperform in the hands of good players.

Statistically they're "fine" in terms of balance, but I think T4-T8 cruisers are just not very fun for a lot of people to play since mistakes are punished swiftly and harshly vs. a BB where you can get away with many minor mistakes. It's better at T9-T10 where cruisers gain heals- IMO a lot of the bad or unforgiving lower tier cruisers at T5-T8 could benefit from a rebalancing around a heal- even with a DPM nerf I think it would be a quality of life improvement for the average player.

Sign in to follow this