Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArnoldSchoenberg

What ship is this?

13 comments in this topic

[RNGG]
Members
158 posts
5,358 battles
Just a guess but it looks like one of the Andrea Doria class battleships
Edited by Urandas

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

The front ship is a Conte de Cavour-class battleship followed by destroyers. I'm not sure the class.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

It's Giulio Cesare, she's definitely a Conte di Cavour-class, and the giveaway is the AA mounts on the side of the B turret rather than on top

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

As far as destroyers go... I don't know when the picture is dated, but since it's Cesare, then the destroyers immediately behind her should be the VII Destroyer squadron, made up of the four Dardo-class destroyers; Freccia, Dardo, Saetta, and Strale.

I could be wrong though, it depends on what year this is.

[F-N-S]
Members
572 posts
21,502 battles

It's Giulio Cesare, she's definitely a Conte di Cavour-class, and the giveaway is the AA mounts on the side of the B turret rather than on top

If this ship is in WoWs, which tier will it be?

Beta Testers
188 posts
86 battles

I'm no expert, but after her retrofit she has a 27 kts top speed and 10 320mm guns. This would mark her as between tier 4/5, depending on other factors. With guns that weak, it would come down to penetration and dispersion values how effective she would be. Her pre-retrofit loadout is interesting though, 21kts top speed and 13(!) 305mm guns. That's more than the Wyoming, and probably in a better loadout due to 3 triple turrets. Might make a tier 5 stock hull, would depend on how effective such low caliber shells are against higher tier BBs. 

I'd like to see her as a tier 5 premium with premium MM (Do they still do that here? They don't anymore in WoT, but I wasn't sure if that's also the case here). She could have 2 available hulls, the stock hull for those who want to troll around with 13 shell BB volleys, and the upgraded hull for more sober, faster and effective 10 shot volleys. 

[_TWP_]
Members
611 posts
6,839 battles

other people don't agree with you...

To be fair, the Andrea Doria-class and Conte di Cavour-class battleships in their post-rebuild forms are very similar in appearance.

http://www.coatneyhistory.com/CavourONI2.JPG

http://www.coatneyhistory.com/Doria.htm

Edited by BGolightly

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Either tier IV or V. She was originally a WWI BB, with 13x 305mm cannons and a 22 knot top speed, but only a 254mm belt. The 305mm guns would be some of the strongest, if not the strongest guns of their caliber in the game. In that form, she's a solid tier IV BB.

However, in the 1930s the class was heavily rebuilt, to the point where only ~40% of the original ship was left. Their speed jumped up to 27 knots, their guns were rebored to 320mm (although they lost the middle Turret, so there were only 10 guns), and the armor was upgraded, mainly the deck armor (belt was still 254mm). The AA was also massively increased. In this form, she'd make a solid tier V.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

To be fair, the Andrea Doria-class and Conte di Cavour-class battleships in their post-rebuild forms are very similar in appearance.

http://www.coatneyhistory.com/CavourONI2.JPG

http://www.coatneyhistory.com/Doria.htm

True. By far the easiest way to tell the difference between the classes (post-rebuild) is to look at the secondary armament. Whereas the Cavour class had a mix of 120mm SP and 100mm DP guns, the Duilio-class has the 135mm triple mounts, and most importantly, the distinctive 90mm AA mounts. There are other differences, but that's by far the easiest to use (for me at least).

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

-Snip-

There's actually a decent chance of Giulio Cesare, the ship in the picture, coming as a tier V Premium BB.

Much like Duca d'Aosta, she was given to the Soviets post-WWII as part of war reparations, thus WG could probably get plans for the ship via the Russian archives rather than the USMM, which would be far easier for them.

Also, since WG likes to stick to chronological order where possible it seems, most likely Cavour will take the tier IV slot in the tech tree, in her WWI configuration. Duilio could then take the tier V tree position, which might make sense given her superior AA battery.

Sign in to follow this