Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gloom13

Please help me play Tirpiz better.

52 comments in this topic

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

update: 

oM9q8Am.jpg

original post ----------------->

In a different thread some folks suggested that replays be posted to get advice and suggestions with the goal of improving performance. (http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/123974-my-skill-is-improvingto-an-extent-but-my-wr-is-declining-why/#topmost ) Lets give it a try. Set up - I have under 500 battles total,  I just started playing Tirpiz, the main bulk of games so far has been on the Leningrad destroyer and tier 3-4 battleships. Four games so far on Tirpiz and I will see if I can find the replays. Here are the two latest games (in the last week)

Of note - I am a poor shot. 

Last game  - win:

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/35562-gloom13-Tirpitz-Trap

Over all plan - advance with the destroyers, aggressive push and support of central cap, priority targets - enemy DDs, cruiser citadels. draw fire away from our DDs. Flex to other caps if alive and able after center is taken.

Battles progress:

enemy dds near/on cap chosen for secondary fire when possible

enemy Graf Spee on cap is targeted for an alpha strike and torps, followed by evasive turn to avoid counter torps. result - partial success, target eliminated. lots of hp lost.

enemy north Carolina on cap runs aground, targeted for torpedo strike + main battery fire. result - success

Plan was to pull hard right to avoid inevitable tops by the dd. Unable to perform as friendly dd launches wave of torps onto the path. 

Transition into a charge at the enemy smoke (knowing this is the end) hoping for some secondary/main damage + chance of torps before enemy dd sinks me. Result - ship destruction, enemy dd spotted and spooked then killed by team.

Game before last - loss:

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/35563-gloom13-Tirpitz-Haven

Over all plan - advance with the destroyers, take south west cap, priority targets - enemy DDs, cruiser citadels. draw fire away from our DDs. Using long range fire prevent enemy taking north east cap.

Battles progress: 

Cap taken with little resistance,

reverse to get angles on enemies trying to take north east cap, fire forces them off that cap,

turn attention back to the south west flank, but its too late.

Kill some ships while I can (although its all over by this point so the turning point/mistakes were before this), take one down in a ram out of spite.

I'll post the next several consecutive games here, be they wins or loses, triumphs or embarrassing 0 damage 3 minute fails.

Comments are welcome, specific advice that could be taken doubly so.

Edited by gloom13

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,145 battles

Uh, first thing you should do is stop playing the tirptiz and go back to your lower tier battleships and climb atleast to tier 7. Armor angling, learning when to retreat and attack, and just understanding the ebb and flow of battle are all things you should learn before you leap so high above where you are in the tech tree. 

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

Uh, first thing you should do is stop playing the tirptiz and go back to your lower tier battleships and climb atleast to tier 7. .. you should learn before you leap so high above where you are in the tech tree.  ...

This is not happening.

I am no where in the tech tree. I have no researchable ships and never will.

As for lower tier BBs I am not completely without experience of playing them:

tier 3 - König Albert 45 battles, 60% win rate

tier 4 - Ishizuchi 83 battle 59% win rate

tier 6 - Warspite  16 battles (ranked) 69% win rate

tier 7 - Scharnhorst 56 battles 59% win rate

How long should I seal club in lower tiers before its ok to play in tier 8?

Edited by gloom13

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

This is not happening.

So, basically lazy. No other way to explain it.

Edited by renegadestatuz

Members
1,019 posts
8,525 battles

This is not happening.

Then why ask for advice?

Its like, trying to learn to drive in a 500hp car and expect everything will go easy, there is a learning curve for everything, that is why tech tree ships exist and scale in difficulty to use properly (most of the time). 

OP is a clear example this game is NOT pay-2-win.

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,145 battles

This is not happening.

Right with this statement I will safely say you are beyond help due to refusing to learn the game. Good luck with your endeavor, I'll mark down your name and be sure to gun you down anytime I see you on the red team. 

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

guys, don't be mean. he was asking for help yesterday and I kinda ask him to post replays and he get chewed out for it? really?

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/123974-my-skill-is-improvingto-an-extent-but-my-wr-is-declining-why

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

Right with this statement I will safely say you are beyond help due to refusing to learn the game. Good luck with your endeavor, I'll mark down your name and be sure to gun you down anytime I see you on the red team. 

Because I prefer to play premium ships and not do the whole research tree thing? How am I refusing to learn? I have 200 battles in lower tier battleships with 60% win rate + hundreds of battles in COOP. That's 35 HOURS in bb battles no counting coop.

Edited by gloom13

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Because I prefer to play premium ships and not do the whole research tree thing? How am I refusing to learn?

but I gonna have to agree with the others, I highly recommended that you start up a Germany Battleship line to have better understanding how Tirpitz play. They are very similar to each other with role and play style. you don't have to play all the tech tree ships, just the german bb's. If you love Tirpitz, then you're gonna to love the Bismarck. you will not regret it

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

Because I prefer to play premium ships and not do the whole research tree thing? How am I refusing to learn? I have 200 battles in lower tier battleships with 60% win rate + hundreds of battles in COOP. That's 35 HOURS in bb battles no counting coop.

Because without experience already in mid/higher tiers you're going to put your team at a serious disadvantage, and you always will. Especially when you get dragged into a tier 10 match, and you will a lot.

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

In fact i just checked you sir have 25 total tier 7 german BB games. I have 56. With a 5% hier win rate.

Its ok for you to play tier 8 BBs but not for me?

Edited by gloom13

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

Because without experience already in mid/higher tiers you're going to put your team at a serious disadvantage, and you always will. Especially when you get dragged into a tier 10 match, and you will a lot.

Because one guy said that I have no experience in tier 7 bb games? He has fewer of them than I do. I am for criticism, but lets base it in reality.

I have 270 games in tier 7. Most in a dd, but 56 of them in a bb. With 50% or above win rates in all ships.

how many games should i have in tier 7 before its ok to go into tier 8? 500? 1000? 2000? 10000?

Edited by gloom13

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

In fact i just checked you sir have 25 total tier 7 german BB games. I have 56. 

Its ok for you to play tier 8 BBs but not for me?

how should we know? you have your stats hidden :P

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles

Have you watched aiming tutorials on youtube? What are your captain's skills? How many points is your captain? What modules do you have on your tirpitz?

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Have you watched aiming tutorials on youtube? What are your captain's skills? How many points is your captain? What modules do you have on your tirpitz?

^this, asking the real questions

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles

Until you earn a tier 8 ship. 

[CHASE]
Members
1,119 posts
11,494 battles

First of all, go back down to lower tier tech tree ships. As you progress through them you learn what your ship is capable and not capable of doing. Jumping straight up to tier 8 means that in most cases you don't have a clue what you're doing. In both of these battles you make fundamental mistakes that had you played through a tech tree BB line you would have learned not to do.

In the first replay, the very fact you charged into B cap, a space that's not very friendly to battleships due to how tight space is and the fact you went alone, against an enemy team with an enemy CV means you got lucky that you weren't deleted off the map within the first few minutes and became the first ship sunk. Your torp attack on the Graf Spee was again luck, had the Graf kept accelerating, you would have missed that salvo completely, you weren't judging the movement of the enemy ship, instead choosing to fire at a predictor line that was moving. Fundamental mistakes in that first battle lies mostly in positioning.

Your second replay, while you sunk a bunch of stuff, has many of the same problems as the first battle. You just simply don't seem to know where you're supposed to go. Charging into a cap with your DDs, while there are enemy BBs around on your flanks is again a big nono for a BB. That, combined with your failure to go to the outer edge of the islands where the BB fights typically happens, means their BBs can get into better position and once they establish a better position than you, means that your flank is at a major disadvantage and if all things progress normally, the enemy team will win that flank and the cap. 

And finally as a side note, I looked at your ship collection, your abysmal performance in your other BBs, like your 51k average dmg Missouri should have told you that you have no clue what ur doing and should most likely grind your way up to a tier 10 BB before playing the premiums.

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

I have watched all the world of warships tutorial I could find, + all the stuff by i-chase, notser, flamu and several others. My tirpiz captain is 19 points secondary build + consealment

auxilary 1, secondary battery 2, damage control, steering, concealment

Gloom can you read this guide? on how to improve your win rate

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/

I have read all guides by mouses + ship reviews.

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

In the first replay, the very fact you charged into B cap, a space that's not very friendly to battleships due to how tight space is and the fact you went alone, against an enemy team with an enemy CV means you got lucky that you weren't deleted off the map within the first few minutes and became the first ship sunk. Your torp attack on the Graf Spee was again luck, had the Graf kept accelerating, you would have missed that salvo completely, you weren't judging the movement of the enemy ship, instead choosing to fire at a predictor line that was moving. Fundamental mistakes in that first battle lies mostly in positioning.

failure to go to the outer edge of the islands where the BB fights typically happens
like your 51k average dmg Missouri should have told you that you have no clue what ur doing and should most likely grind your way up to a tier 10 BB before playing the premiums.

Torps were an after thought my goal was to citadel him from several km, which I did.

The issue of going into the cap however is serious. Do you feel it was a mistake? Should I have tried to snipe from afar? Should I abandon the idea of pushing in to support dds and instead take a more passive stand and go to outer areas with the majority of battleships?

I am not ready to play Missouri - however there was a mission where you had to make lots of silver per battle - I used missoury to get it done, I have no intention of playing it again untill I have several hundred battles in tier 8s.

PS thank you for watching the replays and giving advice on them, so far you are the only one. i really do appreciate it.

Edited by gloom13

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

This is not happening.

As for lower tier BBs I am not completely without experience of playing them:

tier 3 - König Albert 45 battles, 60% win rate

tier 4 - Ishizuchi 83 battle 59% win rate

tier 6 - Warspite  16 battles (ranked) 69% win rate

tier 7 - Scharnhorst 56 battles 59% win rate

Then you will continue to have problems, and listen to players complaining about your skills.

Since you hid your stats, you can post whatever you want, but your entire attitude has much to do with the problems in this game.

Edited by awiggin

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

First of all, go back down to lower tier tech tree ships. As you progress through them you learn what your ship is capable and not capable of doing. Jumping straight up to tier 8 means that in most cases you don't have a clue what you're doing. In both of these battles you make fundamental mistakes that had you played through a tech tree BB line you would have learned not to do.

Your second replay, while you sunk a bunch of stuff, has many of the same problems as the first battle. You just simply don't seem to know where you're supposed to go. Charging into a cap with your DDs, while there are enemy BBs around on your flanks is again a big nono for a BB. That, combined with your failure to go to the outer edge of the islands where the BB fights typically happens, means their BBs can get into better position and once they establish a better position than you, means that your flank is at a major disadvantage and if all things progress normally, the enemy team will win that flank and the cap. 

And finally as a side note, I looked at your ship collection, your abysmal performance in your other BBs, like your 51k average dmg Missouri should have told you that you have no clue what ur doing and should most likely grind your way up to a tier 10 BB before playing the premiums.

^listen to this guy with purple unicum stats

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

Then you will continue to have problems, and listen to players complaining about your skills.

No one is complaining about my skills. I am not playing worse than an average player, i want to get better however. 

dark.png

Edited by gloom13

[BONKS]
[BONKS]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
15,197 battles

I'm just going to echo what others have stated before me, "You earn the right to play an equal tier premium when you have ground out that high in at least 1, preferably more, equal tier tech trees."

If you don't bother to grind up a tech tree line to at least the tier of the premium ship you'd like to play, you are doing yourself, and your team, a huge disservice. 

• Throwing money at the screen does not make you a better player. 
  • Buying premiums does not make you a better player. 
  • Watching/reading guides does not make you a better player. 

• Getting out there and getting your hands dirty by going up the tech trees does make you a better player. 
  • Applying what you have learned in guides does make you a better player. 
  • Listening to experienced and successful players' advice after you ask for it, and not immediately disregarding it because it's not what you wanted to hear, does help you on the path to becoming a better player. 

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

Listening to experienced and successful players' advice after you ask for it, and not immediately disregarding it because it's not what you wanted to hear, does help you on the path to becoming a better player.

I am listening to the advice. However I will not grind up the tree line. That specific advice will not be followed. I am wiling to change how I play,  where i go, what i need to practice, how i equip the ships, what skills i chose on the captain. I am also willing to go back and play lower tier ships as many battles as it takes. But - they will be ships of my choice at that tier, not some random tree stuff.

Sign in to follow this