You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
zebb1

USS LITTLE ROCK

7 comments in this topic

[KIA]
Members
1,859 posts
7,765 battles

I'd rather get USS Oklahoma City

Edited by Skeem689

Members
12,682 posts
14,320 battles

I'd rather get USS Oklahoma City

Lol you may want to take a peek at USS Little Rock's current armaments...:trollface:

[TSF_1]
Beta Testers
447 posts
19,586 battles

Both the Little Rock and the OK City were upgraded in the early 60's. The after main battery guns were replaced by a dual Talos missile battery. The Talos was a mach1.5 ramjet with a solid fuel booster. After launch, it flew in the center of a guidance radar beam toward the target. At 16 seconds from the target, an illumination, or homing radar beam from the tracking radar was turned on, and the bird guided itself to the target using the reflections as a homing signal. Just before impact, a continuous rod warhead would explode, sending an expanding ring of two foot long,1/4 inch square rods that finally broke apart in a 100-foot ring of fragments. The missile had a 65-mile range and was primarily a surface to air defensive weapon. It did have a surface to surface mode to use with a nuclear warhead. That mode required entering the ship's, and target positions into the analog computer.

In 1966, I was on a team that developed a mod kit to be used with a special bird to home in on the emissions of the Russian SA-2 tracking radar. In order for the system to work, the ship's position had to be known within 75 yards. That position accuracy could be achieved using the information from the first generation satellite. but the satellite only came over once every four hours, and no cruiser captain was willing to dro[ anchor off Hi Phong harbor, to maintain the precise ship's  position.

Our team came up with a concept to use one of the two gunfire control systems to track a reflective buoy that was anchored when the satellite came over. The buoy's bearing and range information enabled the continuous calculation of one ship's Latitude and Longitude. That information would allow the ship to steam around the buoy while being able to point the missile at the target site when the homing system was turned on during the last 16 seconds of flight.

To make the calculations, we bought an off the shelf Digital Equipment PDP-8S minicomputer, along with some synchro to digital conversion, and Nixie Tube Display hardware. The prototype system was the first time a minicomputer was installed on a US Navy ship. We planned to redesign the hardware using military grade components after the prototype proved the concept would work. However, when it did work, copies of the prototype were installed on the other six Talos ships.

The Navy wanted to be able to use it against Viet Nam's Sam-2 sites, but the State Department would never let them use it, because they knew the Talos missile could fly into China, if anything went wrong. There was a 2-inch thick binder explicitly defining the Rules of Engagement to use as an anti-aircraft weapon. Talos finally did shoot down a handful of Migs, from CGN 9, and CG 11, which was scrapped in 1980. The Long Beach, CGN 9 is still afloat but is stripped of it's reactors and most of it's superstructure.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I would not be surprised if we don't get a premium Little Rock once Cleveland is moved to T8.

Members
12,682 posts
14,320 battles

I would not be surprised if we don't get a premium Little Rock once Cleveland is moved to T8.

I hope your joking about Cleveland getting moved up to tier 8 since there is no way that ship would survive X ships...