IcyThor

Commander for new ship

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

10 posts in this topic

I got the Phoenix today.  I have a commander from my Erie with 5 skills that are a perfect match for the Phoenix.  But, I don't want to buy doubloons and I don't have close to enough free XP to retrain.  Do I grind it out with the new commander, earn more free XP.  Or do I have other options?

You gotta grind the captains xp if you don't want to pay any doubloons or use in game credits and go with the 500 000 cost to retrain captain.

I have about 20 million credits.  If I can retrain for credits only, that would be great.  WoW Wiki said 200,000 could reduce XP needed to retain to half.  But, no option for credits only.  The Wiki is very out of date.

I have about 20 million credits.  If I can retrain for credits only, that would be great.  WoW Wiki said 200,000 could reduce XP needed to retain to half.  But, no option for credits only.  The Wiki is very out of date.

There should be an option. If it's greyed out, that means you've already done it.

There are three options for retraining.

Free means you have to grind the full XP for the retraining.

The 200,000 credit option means that you cut the free XP retraining grind in half.

If you spend 500 doubloons, you retrain immediately for the new ship.

While you are grinding the XP, your skills will be cut in half or not work at all depending on the skill. If you have a premium ship for that nation, you can do the retraining XP grind in that premium ship and the skills work like normal. Premium ships give extra XP and credits over regular ships.

The 200,000 credit option means that you cut the free XP retraining grind in half.

While you are grinding the XP, your skills will be cut in half or not work at all depending on the skill. If you have a premium ship for that nation, you can do the retraining XP grind in that premium ship and the skills work like normal. Premium ships give extra XP and credits over regular ships.

If you have an Elite captain you can spend that Elite XP to retrain as well (I suspect the OP might not have one yet) 

If you have an Elite captain you can spend that Elite XP to retrain as well (I suspect the OP might not have one yet)

I don't have an Elite Captain yet so its not an option for me.  I wish it were.

For now, I decided to let the new Captain grind on his own.  The Phoenix earns more XP because of the higher tier.  The new Captain already has 3 undistributed points and it looks like he can catch up to the experienced Captain quickly.  When I move up to the next ship I will retrain whichever Captain has the best match in skills.

I don't have an Elite Captain yet so its not an option for me.  I wish it were.

For now, I decided to let the new Captain grind on his own.  The Phoenix earns more XP because of the higher tier.  The new Captain already has 3 undistributed points and it looks like he can catch up to the experienced Captain quickly.  When I move up to the next ship I will retrain whichever Captain has the best match in skills.

Makes sense at low skill levels.  You may wish to get a premium down the road to accelerate training.  Not sure if the Marblehead is still available, but she works well for Phoenix and Omaha captains.  If you have some spare doubloons you could convert the free XP you are still earning with your Erie (or St. Louis) with your warm up games to help advance your captains.  Not very efficient but its an option. BTY - the Phoenix is a great ship, and good for learning torps as you won't use them often.

Posted (edited) · Report post

As Kizarvexis mentions the Wiki is correct.  When you move a captain to a new, non-premium ship, it will tell you that he has to retrain for the new ship and will operate at partial efficiency until he does.  Until then, some skills will not work (e.g., Priority target will not show you the number of ships targeting you) or will only provide partial benefits.  It should give you the three retraining options above.  Likewise as Unabletony says:

There should be an option. If it's greyed out, that means you've already done it.

If you are not getting the option, you must have already selected one of the options.  If he is in the ship, then you made the choice already.

Kizarvexis mentions Premium ships.  One of the benefits of a Premium is that you can use any captain (of the same nation) without needing to train him for the Premium.  While in the premium, he will operate as if he is fully trained in it.

So let us say you have a Marblehead.  As you know, when you moved your Erie captain to the Phoenix, and he had to start retraining.  This means he is operating the Phoenix at partial efficiency until he is fully retrained. If you move him to another standard ship, even back to the Erie, you would have to restart the whole training process again, and then again when you moved him back to the Phoenix.  However, since the Marblehead is a Premium, he does not have to train for it, and while he is in the Marblehead, he will operate at full efficiency even if he is currently retraining for the Phoenix.

Thus, he can work off his Phoenix retraining penalty while operating at full efficiency in the Marblehead, and because premiums get extra XP for battles, he will do so faster.  You can move him back and forth between the Phoenix and a Premium as much as you want.  Until the retraining penalty is worked off, he will operate at partial efficiency in the Phoenix, but while he is in the Premiums, he will operate as if he already has finished retraining.

This will work the same way for any Premium ship of the same nation as the captain (has to be the same nation since you cannot move him to a ship from another nation).  Thus, it would work the same way, in this case, with the Smith, the Albany, the Arkansas Beta, the Marblehead, the Texas, the Arizona, and so on.  The only caveat is that you want to avoid getting a high tier premium to do this if you don't have ships of that tier yourself  This is not because it would not work as described, but because you don't want to make the mistake of jumping into battles in tiers you have not played before and are probably not prepared for.

Finally, you can ease the pain of retraining by using Signal Flags and Camouflage that give bonus XP, especially bonus Captain's XP.

Edited by Sotaudi

You gotta grind the captains xp if you don't want to pay any doubloons or use in game credits and go with the 500 000 cost to retrain captain.

pretty sure it's 200k to get teh 50% training not 500k.

If your willing to spend some cash, and it's an upper tier ship, then consider premium camo. That increases the XP and Commander XP, and reduces the cost of operation while improving concealment and reducing the ability of other ships to hit you.