You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RadDisconnect

Power gap between Tier 9 and 10

36 comments in this topic

[KIA-T]
Members
320 posts
6,543 battles

There seems to be a really big power gap between Tier 9 and 10, especially with BBs and CAs. Looking at BBs, looking at Germany, on the GK you get 50% more firepower and 25% more HP than FDG. Similarly for the US, on the Montana you get 33% more firepower, 33% thicker belt, and 22% more HP compared to Iowa. And then for Japan you get the ability to overmatch, thicker belt, and 23% more HP. This applies to cruisers too. The Des Moines gets almost double the firepower for practically the same protection, the Zao gets far superior guns and troll armor, and the Hindenburg gets 33% more firepower compared to Roon.

The power jump from Tier 8 to 9 isn't nearly as drastic. For example, the jump from NC to Iowa isn't quite as drastic as the jump from Iowa to Montana, or the jump from NOLA to Baltimore compared to Baltimore to Des Moines.

So do you think the power gap between Tier 9 and 10 is too high?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,312 posts
23,671 battles

Hmmm got to say no, feels about right to me.

Members
139 posts
18,201 battles

No, there are similar power gaps in other spots on the tier list (tier 4->5 and Tier 7->8).  IMO, Tier 10 should be considerably stronger than Tier 9 because Tier 10 is the last ship and usually is the culmination of everything good about that tech tree line.

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

I will say the Z-52 tier 10 is not really stronger than the Z-46 T9 destroyer. These two ships are oddly strong in power level. I am not sure if this means the Z-46 is OP or the Z-52 is under powered.

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,761 battles

I see little issue here. at the end of the day matches are more dependant on player skill than tier, though granted it does play a big factor......:read_fish:

Edited by BladedPheonix
  • Cool 1

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles

I will say the Z-52 tier 10 is not really stronger than the Z-46 T9 destroyer. These two ships are oddly strong in power level. I am not sure if this means the Z-46 is OP or the Z-52 is under powered.

what I find about the the Z-52 to be a biggest advantage over the Z-46 is having 2 turrets on the front rather than the back.  The extra range to both guns and torps, and the full German hydro are also great.

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles

play any DD at t6, t7 ot t8 that have to face BBs with 10km+ secondaries, longer than torp range, and tell me about it

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles

play any DD at t6, t7 ot t8 that have to face BBs with 10km+ secondaries, longer than torp range, and tell me about it

Torp range isn't really the issue since you can be stealth and torp.  It's when your gun range is matched by their secondaries is where it gets ridiculous.  Z-23 basically cannot engage German BBs of its tier or higher with their guns.  Z-46 only has a window of 0.4km to fire.  Both ships need to have a range buff, especially if you're rocking the 150s on the 23, it makes no sense to have such crappy range.
Edited by Ju87s

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,730 posts
26,569 battles

The tier 10's also get worse camouflage and are focused down more.

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles

Torp range isn't really the issue since you can be stealth and torp

it sure is when they have spottong planes, CVs, radars, hydro, and ofc other DDs spotting. Not even going to mention a captain skill that allows them to know when a DD switches from guns to torp....

Yes it is an issue at lower tier.

Edited by PicknChew

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

it sure is when they have spottong planes, CVs, radars, hydro, and ofc other DDs spotting. Not even going to mention a captain skill that allows them to know when a DD switches from guns to torp....

Yes it is an issue at lower tier.

No, I think you should mention it, because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles

What tier 8 DD are you having a problem with? Both Benson and Kagero have 10km  or better torps, and the Kiev and Z-whatever dont even really NEED their torps, since they're gunbotes.

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles

No, I think you should mention it, because I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think he misunderstands RPF or something..?

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

I don't particularly agree. Iowa is faster and more maneuverable than the Montana, to say nothing of it's concealment. Izumo has better penetration than the Yamato. FDG is only outmatched in health and number of guns. Baltimore is pretty much equivalent except it seems to eat fewer citadels but it fires slower. Roon is more maneuverable, harder to detect, and carries the same armament minus a hard to use extra turret. Donskoi carries more guns and torps. I think I actually liked the Neptune more than the Minotaur. More broadside power and harder to kill. Ibuki is fairly weak honestly. I haven't tried the Frenchies yet. 

The HP increase matters a lot less than you think because the T10 BBs are huge targets, two of which have massive citadels. Also DoT is based on % of your hp, not raw hp. BBs often like to bow fight at high tiers to not get nuked in these positions the Iowa can match the Monty's armament and the Izumo can fire 3 turrets to the Yamato's 2.

They are often different, but the gap is not especially large.

T10s are better, but T9s can compete.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,491 battles

Z-52 gets German cruiser hydro, which I would say is a huge jump in anti-DD capabilities. I fear running into Z-52 with my Z-46.

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles

Not even going to mention a captain skill that allows them to know when a DD switches from guns to torp....

what skill is this?

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles

Pretty sure he's trying to say priority target.

how does PT tell you when you're being targetted by torps vs guns?

[ELECM]
Beta Testers
79 posts
11,765 battles

Z-52 gets German cruiser hydro, which I would say is a huge jump in anti-DD capabilities. I fear running into Z-52 with my Z-46.

Plus running the Hydro ship mod. Damn near 2 and a half minutes of the good German hydro on a Destroyer. 

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

how does PT tell you when you're being targetted by torps vs guns?

It doesn't necessarily, but in certain circumstances it "could". PT only shows a number if a ship is targeting you with main guns, not with torpedoes. If you're somewhere and you get lit up and see no ship within detection radius, then you know a DD is nearby. If it's showing a 1, then you know the DD is still trained on you with his guns. If that 1 disappears for a second or two then pops back up, then you know that DD possibly could've have sent his fish your way because he switched off from his main guns and then back to his main guns.

Or the DD could just be messing with your head and making you think he sent his fish, getting you to turn another direction that's possibly favors him and is a better oath for his torps.

Edited by renegadestatuz

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles

what skill is this?

the one that lets you know how many people are targeting you... an absurd skill really, but like many other thing I don't really care about it. what is upsetting is how 6.3.0 has negatively affected the game and WG is adamant that everything is fine

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

Biggest performance differences between tiers imo are.

T9 Ibuki to T10 Zao

T9 Yugumo to T10 Shimakaze

T9 Donskoi to T10 Moskva

I'm sure there are others but these come to my mind as being the strongest that I have earned versus their T9 counterpart.

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,491 battles

It doesn't necessarily, but in certain circumstances it "could". PT only shows a number if a ship is targeting you with main guns, not with torpedoes. If you're somewhere and you get lit up and see no ship within detection radius, then you know a DD is nearby. If it's showing a 1, then you know the DD is still trained on you with his guns. If that 1 disappears for a second or two then pops back up, then you know that DD possibly could've have sent his fish your way because he switched off from his main guns and then back to his main guns.

Or the DD could just be messing with your head and making you think he sent his fish, getting you to turn another direction that's possibly favors him and is a better oath for his torps.

I thought if you have a lock, no matter if it's with guns or torps, it counts towards PT.

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

I thought if you have a lock, no matter if it's with guns or torps, it counts towards PT.

Could be wrong. I'm just going by what a lot of forum members have been quoting from Q&As.

[RBW]
Beta Testers
237 posts
3,243 battles

Part of the reason for that feeling is because several of the tier 9s are severely underpowered for their tier, either in specific areas or as a whole. Baltimore and Izumo being the primary examples.