You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S842

Buy the Duke d'Aosta?

23 comments in this topic

[SFT]
Members
254 posts
32,542 battles

Not much time to left to buy the Duke d'Aosta and I can't make up my mind.  Maybe those of you that have bought the ship can give their opinion.  Would you buy it again?  In other words, are you pleased with your purchase?

Certainly if you want a crew trainer for the coming Italian ships I can see buying her, but if I look at her performance as a stand-alone ship I have my doubts.  From the perspective of one who has just observed her in action, I have doubts as to whether the Duke is really that strong.  She does not seem to be one of the better tier 6 cruisers, and I really do not have much trouble killing her with my Budyony or Cleveland.  I get my "fun factor" from winning, dealing damage, and potential to carry the team and the Duke seems to fall short.  Am I wrong?

Edited by S842

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

Budyonny...stronk russian stalinium & laser beams...doesn't seem like you enjoy challenges. 

I'm liking the duca. 

also..it's cruiser, that is not russian....what do you honestly expect?

also, how many points are those cruisier captains you mentioned? wait until duca captains are going around with concealment & ifhe...

Edited by scruffycavetroll

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

Budyonny...stronk russian stalinium & laser beams...doesn't seem like you enjoy challenges. 

I'm liking the duca. 

also, how many points are those cruisier captains you mentioned? wait until duca captains are going around with concealment & ifhe...

I'm almost there. :trollface:
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,164 posts
30,915 battles

Offensively the gunnery on her is a mixed bag.  The shell flight times, shell arcs, velocity are very nice.  But against heavier targets I do not feel power.  Her gun range is also somewhat mediocre but that can be boosted by Spotter Plane.  It's not a problem getting hits but you need to bag a lot of hits to have great effect on Battleship and even Cruiser targets. However, her super fast shells are very dangerous to Destroyers.  But her Fire % is abysmal, they make German Cruiser Fire% look amazing.

The torps?  Long ranged for a Cruiser but you don't get many per side.  More of something as opportunity and throwing torps at ranges towards RN CL smoke that the RN CL player may not have accounted for.

The ship is fast, maneuverable, can dance under gunfire but like any Cruiser you still don't want to take hits.

Back on offense:  Where do I rank Duca among the Tier VI Cruisers?  I put her in the middle of the pack.  Molotov has reliable, powerful gunnery.  Budyonny is reliable and fast in her gunnery.  But for all of Cleveland's power, her shells are floaty and can be a problem towards her own max range which is quite average.  Then you got Duca.  She doesn't have long range like Budyonny but her gunnery within that range is dead accurate.  That's why I rank Duca "In the middle" of gunfighting for Tier VI Cruisers.

TLDR, OP:  Duca is probably not what you want.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Duca is a pretty solid boat. Similar to Molotov in many ways, just with smaller guns in a different layout. 12km torps are fun, and being able to mount both hydro and defensive fire is nice, especially since her AA is pretty poor otherwise, and there are still plenty of CVs at tier 6. 

All in all, from what I've seen, she's a decent, if not rather squishy ship with laser beam guns. I'd say go for it.

Members
47 posts
11,753 battles

Not much time to left to buy the Duke d'Aosta and I can't make up my mind.  Maybe those of you that have bought the ship can give their opinion.  Would you buy it again?  In other words, are you pleased with your purchase?

Certainly if you want a crew trainer for the coming Italian ships I can see buying her, but if I look at her performance as a stand-alone ship I have my doubts.  From the perspective of one who has just observed her in action, I have doubts as to whether the Duke is really that strong.  She does not seem to be one of the better tier 6 cruisers, and I really do not have much trouble killing her with my Budyony or Cleveland.  I get my "fun factor" from winning, dealing damage, and potential to carry the team and the Duke seems to fall short.  Am I wrong?

Is a fun ship...fast like hell and turn in a dime, but also is difficult to play because she has no armor at all.

I have very good games in it and some got deleted very fast.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

I haven't gotten to play her much but I've loved what time I've spent playing her. It's hard to explain but she feels pretty natural. Like I barely have to think about where to aim to hit something. Even enemy DDs, just feels like I can put shells on target at will with Duke. Plus those long range torps are a nasty sting for players that aren't equating a cruiser to a long range torp threat. 

To mitigate the durability issues, I'd suggest not hanging out in the wide open waters if you don't have to. She's fast, so you can escape to cover if you don't overextend yourself. 

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

Just got her and the Perth. Using my shiny dubloons to get the Kutozov tonight when I get home. :popcorn:

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

She's a blast to play, but she's not a ship you can take out an just expect to do well. If you're not going after small targets like DDs, and are shooting at the big fish, you've got to keep your guns going to make bank. Her armor can be trollish, so learning how to take advantage of it is a big plus. Battleships will simply rip through it with no issue, so you're always going to have to fear them, but your bow is resistant to AP (because overmatch mechanics; 16mm of bow can't be lol-penned by guns less than 228mm or so), and the side of your hull when angled (easy to do because of your excellent firing arcs and good maneuverability) is very strong to (can bounce 11" AP as well).

Her torps also have good arcs as well, and although slow, are very stealthy, giving the enemy very little time to react to them.

Just be aware, she's not forgiving with mistakes. If you give broadside, your tall citadel with get ripped up by other cruisers, and especially battleships... and your high speed, if you're not careful, will get you into trouble.

The HE is sub-par, but workable, while the AP is quite strong for 6" AP, 1000mps MV aside, it penetrates very well in my experience, especially under 10km (but i've citadel led other cruisers at max floatplane range, 16.8 km).

I would recommend it, especially if you're already good at WASD hacks in cruisers. She's a riot when you play her correctly.

[RLGN]
Members
19,148 posts
35,188 battles

I like the accuracy of the guns, but the damage is very 'meh.' The comment that you need a lot of hits for decent damage amounts is dead on.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
1,684 posts
20,010 battles

I submitted a ticket to be refunded for her. Don't buy. 

I have 14 point captain in her - IFHE and concealment. Even then if you do 50k damage in a game, celebrate. It is such an effort to get any kind of damage at all. 

Torps are slow. 

HE is garbage.

AP struggles to pen above 7km.

Turrets turn painfully slow and you need to be turning all the time to survive. So you rarely have guns on target while evading.

Your rudder is made of sticks.

Don't buy. Get the Perth instead.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

Damage is subpar.  If you have to ask this question, imo avoid the ship. 

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,102 battles

I'm liking the duca. 

You rang? Although I'm working up a second 14 point captain. 

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

Yes, I would buy her again, but if you're looking for an easy stat-padder, look elsewhere. The Duca isn't an OP ship, she's a decent cruiser with a fair share of strengths, but none of them will just hand you wins. She's fast, her torpedoes have great stealth qualities, and the tight shot grouping of her guns will let you pile up citadel hits against other cruisers. However, her HE underperforms, her torpedoes are slow as molasses, and her guns are lacking in range.

[FML]
Members
4,323 posts
16,682 battles

I didnt enjoy the Budyonny (I know, I am a heretic), so I wont be buying this ship.  Pity, cos I was looking forward to her and the Italian line.  Will wait for Roma instead, perhaps.  

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Duca is a fairly well-balanced cruiser relative to other cruisers around the tier... and therein lies the problem :). Aside from the fact that you don't want to be playing anything in mid tiers if you like your MM to be reasonable, cruisers are of course the extra specially victimized ship type. Since Duca doesn't seem to possess any otherworldly advantages that make her at least situationally OP, she's only a worthy purchase if you're looking for an interesting and stiff challenge. In a manner of speaking, I was, and she delivers a pretty curious package in terms of figuring out the nuances of optimal playstyle.

My observations so far indicate that Priority Target and EM is a must. You want to zoom around at high speed taking advantage of situational cover and concealment and occasionally kiting BBs near maximum range (which is 14 km, lol). Duca is well suited to supporting DDs as the whole package seems to be subtly balanced around heightened performance against cruisers and DDs at ranges of up to 10 km. Then again, the trick is not to be the most attractive target to shoot at any given time which implies knowing when to abandon the area or otherwise make yourself scarce.

Duca plays a lot like Molotov, except she trades the mid-to-long-range gun performance for superior speed and maneuverability.

Given all of the above, I would only recommend Duca to experienced players. Otherwise you're easy food.

[ASHIP]
Members
44 posts
22,647 battles

How long is she available? Don't quite have the funds. Maybe next Wednesday I think