You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Uber_Ghost

Replacement for Manual Secondaries 8-10 Capt Skill

10 comments in this topic

[2UNA]
Members
596 posts
7,043 battles

So I was reading the WOWS EU English forum and came across this: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/75209-bismarck-range/page__st__20#topmost 

The posts by "Widar_Thule" are the one's I'm referencing.  (Sorry...I couldn't figure out a way to pull a quote from the EU server to here)  Essentially, he claims via testing that Manual Secondaries are a DPM loss in any extended engagement.  Assuming that one excludes the value of the immediate impact they provide (in sudden DD encounters and the like), what would you recommend as an optimal build?

Currently, I'm running a 15pt Captain on my new Bismark with: Preventive Maintenance(1), Expert Marksmen(2), Adrenaline Rush(2), Basic Fire Training(3), Superintendent(3), Advanced Firing Training(4).  I really like the synergy the current build generates.  And, I plan to carry this captain up the tech tree. 

It should be noted that although I always intended to add Manual Secondaries as my final skill, I'm now considering a variety of options.  Manual AA is an obvious choice, although CV battles seem somewhat infrequent.  Fire Prevention also seems nice, although I wonder if stacking some Endurance skills might be more effective.  Finally, there's the notion to add Vigilance and Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft to really accentuate the Hydro.  I can always use Doubloons to switch back and forth, so more than one answer is useful as well.

Obligatory waiver: I need to add the disclaimer that I'm very new to WOWS as I've only logged 233 battles...most in German BB's.  But, I was a theorycrafter and Nim Raider in my previous game (MMO...rip SWTOR).  So...I'm accustomed to number crunching and high level play.  I'd like to hear from some of the experienced players on two specific questions:

1. Do you agree with "Widar_Thule" as to the DPM loss?

2. If you do, how would you spend my final four points?  If you don't, do you have an even better build you employ?

Thanks for any input on this.  I've learned through my gaming life that experience is truly the most valuable commodity,  So...those with the knowledge, care to weigh in?      

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,405 battles

The only thing you lose with Manual Secondaries is theoretical DPM. Practically, you're getting more hits with the secondaries since they are more accurate, and the DPM actually goes up quite a bit. In fact, even should you encounter a situation where two enemy ships are on either side of you, it still might be better to have Manual Secondaries due to that accuracy advantage.  

• Cool 1

Members
77 posts
28,732 battles

Manual secondaries for sure. German BBs are built for brawling, and they let you fully engage two enemies at once without having to switch turret sides (always a pain due to speed), and the sheer volume of little dots can pump some damage. In my experience with the secondaries, they push a lot of hits, but what you really benefit from them is fires. DDs will turn and run from you (as long as their torps are on CD), and you force enemy capital ships to spend their Damage Control to stop taking so much damage... just to get set back on fires within seconds of the duration ending. 

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

Theory vs reality. Testing done versus ships sitting still is pretty worthless for data collection because how often is the enemy actually going to just park there and let your secondaries murder them? Answer: never. The ships will be moving, so between that and dispersion you'll end up raking the ship bow to stern anyways unless you're about 2km away and then you're probably going RAMMING SPEED anyways. 

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

I just did Manual secondary set up on the Tirpitz and damage done went up by at least 30 % and number of planes shot down doubled,its a new ship and a lot more fun to play

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I just did Manual secondary set up on the Tirpitz and damage done went up by at least 30 % and number of planes shot down doubled,its a new ship and a lot more fun to play

Manual secondaries has no effect on AA damage. There's a separate skill for that.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

Also to anyone whos's been on the receiving end of Bismarck or now Tirpitz with there + 10k secondarys need no convincing how good they are

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

Manual secondaries has no effect on AA damage. There's a separate skill for that.

with the fully upgade manual settings on my Tirpitz, this is with moduals and Captain skills for Secondary build some are also tied in with AA DPM you can manually designate your senconday target plus you can also manually designate your AA increasing the DPM you have two manuals going,both will remain on target and as long as they are within range they will fire , no time limit, you do get a AA boost

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

with the fully upgade manual settings on my Tirpitz, this is with moduals and Captain skills for Secondary build some are also tied in with AA DPM you can manually designate your senconday target plus you can also manually designate your AA increasing the DPM you have two manuals going,both will remain on target and as long as they are within range they will fire , no time limit, you do get a AA boost

Right. But the skill Manual Secondaries does nothing to AA. You always get that bonus from manually targeting with AA guns. You get a bigger bonus if you have manual AA though.

• Cool 1