Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
chromeburn

Joystick for WoWs

21 comments in this topic

[PDX]
[PDX]
Members
5 posts
11,798 battles

Hello Sailors!

Anyone use a joystick, rather than the keyboard.  I'm thinking about getting one of the Thrustmaster Hotas.  

Reason being is I play on a laptop and the keyboard is fairly awful for... well just about anything.  I figure i can use a T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick and completely do away with the keyboard.  

Looks like it has basic flight controls which would be far more than we'd need for Warships.  Also, might make the 5 minutes a week I play WoWp more fun.

Anyone have input?  

Edited by chromeburn

[PUSHD]
Members
200 posts
21,961 battles

I see only downsides in using a joystick. When using the keyboard (I think we all have to anyway?), use Q & E for rudder, not A & D, and life is simplified immensely. Throwing a joystick into the mix of Keyboard & Mouse just leads to three items you'll need to be controlling at once. 

Edited by chs4000

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,334 posts
23,704 battles
Or you could plug in a regular full sized key board and mouse for a lot less money.
  • Cool 1

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

By the time you master that, assuming you do, your WR would drop about 3%.

[and if you push the stick forward your ship will dive under the waves I imagine ;)]

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

By the time you master that, assuming you do, your WR would drop about 3%.

[and if you push the stick forward your ship will dive under the waves I imagine ;)]

I'd pay to see that.

[PDX]
[PDX]
Members
5 posts
11,798 battles

My win rate is in the dumper as I'm only just now playing "seriously"  :)

I might just go the better keyboard route.  Definitely much cheaper.

Though this 'dive' function... that could be fun!

Thanks, for the input!

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Hm, now I am curious to see if a XBox controller would work. 

[MOOBS]
Members
11 posts
On 4/29/2017 at 5:10 AM, chromeburn said:

Hello Sailors!

Anyone use a joystick, rather than the keyboard.  I'm thinking about getting one of the Thrustmaster Hotas.  

Reason being is I play on a laptop and the keyboard is fairly awful for... well just about anything.  I figure i can use a T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick and completely do away with the keyboard.  

Looks like it has basic flight controls which would be far more than we'd need for Warships.  Also, might make the 5 minutes a week I play WoWp more fun.

Anyone have input?  

https://download.cnet.com/World-of-Joysticks-Keyboard-and-Mouse-Emulator/3001-2121_4-76346441.html

Been trying to find something that works for ages: after finding this all is good I now use left hand joystick for speed control, steering of the ship and: selecting HE, AP, Torps: R,T,Y,U functions and firing main weapons + shift key for zoom and my mouse in right hand for normal targeting &: free look.

Works like a treat

ScreenHunter 09.jpg

• Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
566 posts

I have a full HOTAS setup, and I'd never want to use it in WoWs. The level of control we have just isn't up to that level. 

On the other hand, I completely understand not wanting to continue on a laptop keyboard. I did that while traveling for work, and it wasn't fun. If you're looking for something better for WoWs or FPS's. I suggest one of the gaming pads, like the Razer Orbweaber or Logitech G13. I have an Orbweaver, and once I got used to it, it was better than even a full size keyboard. It took some time to get used to, however, so consider than in how much you'd want to spend. It's a fraction of a Thrustmaster setup, and I'd only suggest that if you were getting into true flight sims like DCS, or space sims like ED or SC. And those definitely aren't laptop friendly.

Edited by Nolo_00

[ULTRA]
Members
2 posts
3,481 battles
On 6/20/2020 at 6:48 PM, Orcaman said:

https://download.cnet.com/World-of-Joysticks-Keyboard-and-Mouse-Emulator/3001-2121_4-76346441.html

Been trying to find something that works for ages: after finding this all is good I now use left hand joystick for speed control, steering of the ship and: selecting HE, AP, Torps: R,T,Y,U functions and firing main weapons + shift key for zoom and my mouse in right hand for normal targeting &: free look.

Works like a treat

ScreenHunter 09.jpg

Thank you.  I do have a good keyboard but WASD games do cause some pain to flare up after an hour or two, and since I already have a flight stick, this is perfect for me.  More immersive too since, you know, cranking on a lever to send commands to engine room.. " RING RING"..

Thanks

Edited by Aeonov_Solas

[TO07]
Members
150 posts
4,935 battles

Just FYI for those that rag on joysticks.

Ships on console works very well, and runs very smooth with a joystick, so clearly it can be done to great effect.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,105 posts
29,413 battles
On 4/28/2017 at 2:40 PM, chromeburn said:

Reason being is I play on a laptop and the keyboard is fairly awful for... well just about anything.  

I destroyed a laptop keyboard by playing WOWS and bought myself a cheap plug-in because it stands the WASD abuse better.

That G13 and others like it look neat, though. 

I'm not sure I'd want a joystick for WOWS. Now maybe if I were also playing THE GAME WHICH SHALL NOT BE NAMED HERE and other flight sims on a regular basis, yeah, then it would be a worthwhile addition.

Members
105 posts
26,954 battles
On 4/28/2017 at 1:10 PM, chromeburn said:

Hello Sailors!

Anyone have input?  

I did it awhile ago. And at that time I abandoned it after five minutes.

Edited by Richard_Hansen1

[WPORT]
Members
20,804 posts
22,691 battles
On 4/28/2017 at 1:10 PM, chromeburn said:

Hello Sailors!

Anyone have input?  

I use a Logitech Trackman mouse.
And I use a Laptop.
If I were to use an external keyboard, it would also be from Logitech.

image_2021-07-07_114451.thumb.png.cf03f5701b317c55d9a06b5be79d7e0a.png

Members
105 posts
26,954 battles

It looks nice! I’ve always have used a Logitech Mouse from day one. Matter fact I think I have a box of 20 years of them. 😃

[WPORT]
Members
20,804 posts
22,691 battles
Just now, Richard_Hansen1 said:

It looks nice! I’ve always have used a Logitech Mouse from day one. Matter fact I think I have a box of 20 years of them. 😃

Yeah.  I like how user-friendly and durable they are.  Price is reasonable, too.

Members
873 posts
14,547 battles

So glad to see a topic like this showing up on the forums.

Long story short, I'm an older person. Almost everything I've done was work-related on a laptop, so my hand skills function better on a small keyboard. WoWs being the first-ever PC game I've played. I've since built a desktop setup for gaming and VR. WASD was never in the mix of functions my hand-eye was trained for. Needless to say, I struggle really badly with a full-size keyboard. The distances between just AD then combined with the continuous use of RTYU seem tedious and a world apart. I often find myself looking down at the keyboard to see what the heck my fingers have done or need to do. More than often enough, that is where my blame lies as to why I am "Outplayed" and my ship is sent to Davies locker. Well, that and my old age reaction time. :cap_haloween:However, the age thing I realize I can not fix. The hand-eye keyboard for gaming and VR desktop may be so. I'm always scouring the internet in ways to improve or fix that. For WoWs, I've tried a racing wheel and a joystick, both of which were discarded pretty quick due to lack of keybindings. Thanks, @Orcaman, for that link. BTW, that looks as if it would solve a lot of those problems. A friend that knows way more things than I had suggested the game boards like the ones mentioned here. I thought rather than spend all that on something like Razer Orbweaber or Logitech G13 to try out, I'd go with something cheaper first, like Razer Tartarus v2 or AULA Excalibur. However, while searching out options, the Azeron Classic came up in the conversation since my brain wasn't already trained from years of PC gaming. Needless to say, I'm a bit smitten with that idea, if not just for a conversation piece.

Azeron Gaming Keypad review | PC Gamer

This Gaming Keypad Is Just CRAZY! - YouTube

Also, to add to the conversation. I've built and worked on way too many PC in my lifetime. I've decided I may want to build my very first keyboard. Anyone here into that sort of thing? 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,991 posts
5,224 battles
18 minutes ago, ArtfulNothing_ said:

So glad to see a topic like this showing up on the forums.

Yeah, it's a massive necro, more than four years old.

Yet it's a good topic.  I have an ancient joystick that I'll try someday.  It might make Elite Dangerous viable for me.  I can't fly to save my life, corkscrewing through space, even with the bank and yaw re-mapped.  For 3D a joystick just seems more natural.  But the bloody prices !!

18 minutes ago, ArtfulNothing_ said:

use of RTYU seem tedious and a world apart. I often find myself looking down at the keyboard to see what the heck my fingers have done or need to do.

I've learned that the second it takes to check the consumable key mapping and where my finger is is worth it.  Far better than activating the wrong consumable, wasting it and the several seconds require to recognize and correct the error.  (DCP is always R, and I remap Repair to T if necessary, MBRB is I, so it's only the others that are in question.)

Priority Sector is much more time-critical, but my fingers know exactly where the tilde key is.

I can't imagine playing on a laptop keyboard.

Edited by iDuckman

Members
873 posts
14,547 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Yeah, it's a massive necro, more than four years old.

Wow, I didn't even notice that. I saw the topic in my recent post, looked saw the link that was posted, and had a moment of glee. It has been a topic at the forefront for me for quite some time now. I'd never posted about it here, knowing from where this board is in recent topics to where it could have been once upon a time, it wouldn't have much traction. I should have known better. 

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I've learned that the second it takes to check the consumable key mapping and where my finger is is worth it.  Far better than activating the wrong consumable, wasting it and the several seconds require to recognize and correct the error.  (DCP is always R, and I remap Repair to T if necessary, MBRB is I, so it's only the others that are in question.)

Priority Sector is much more time-critical, but my fingers know exactly where the tilde key is.

I can't imagine playing on a laptop keyboard.

Often I feel as those double look downs and hesitations sometimes cost me a great deal. For instance, I'll lose twice more health from incoming fire than I see that others would have. They will hit the heal key instantly, whereas I have to look for the key first; by then, the overall damage is done. Different key bindings haven't really seemed to help much since I'm still key searching anyway.  Funny, I don't have much problem with the Priority Sector either. I think it's because it is at the end of the keyboard, and I can feel that without looking.

My finger placement brain is wired towards a laptop simply because of so many years of only using that small of a keyboard. All though I've never once used one to play this or any other game. I don't see the keyboard enduring the abuse most would give one over time. IMO If you need a Cherry MX plus another monitor and you're not on the go frequently, I don't see the point of using a laptop anyway.

Edited by ArtfulNothing_
spelling

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,991 posts
5,224 battles
32 minutes ago, ArtfulNothing_ said:

They will hit the heal key instantly, whereas I have to look for the key first; by then, the overall damage is done.

Is there a case where hitting the key a second earlier makes much difference? DCP immunizes briefly against Damage over Time (DoT) -- fires and floods -- but a second of fire or flood is insignificant. Heal doesn't prevent damage; an extra second is worth only 0.2% HP.  MBRB is best timed well, but its effect isn't affected by when it's triggered, except for the time wasted if it's triggered before the guns are unloaded. IMO part of the problem is that you're placing too much emphasis on instant use of consumables.

As for my keyboard, my issue is like yours -- my hands have been wedded .. er .. welded ... moulded to an IBM Model M since the late 80s.  Cold, dead fingers, baby.

To be fair, though, there are a few keyboards that I could use without too much problem, but since I have like four IBMs, why bother?

Edited by iDuckman