You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Go ahead flame me - but WoWS is NOT WoT

69 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Am I the only person who is sick and tired of people asking for gold ammo in WoWS? "wah... well WoT has gold ammo so why doesn't WoWS have gold ammo?" 

Stuff it folks - this is NOT WoT - if they implemented anything like a gold ammo here, that'd be the death bell for this game... because not only would it need to penetrate better, do more damage, but it would also have to set things on fire. Can you imagine the rage (I'd probably be one of them, sadly) about Gold Ammo squirting out of premium ships? 

And the cost of course would be in doubloons... not silver... 

So please folks - stop trying to turn WoWS into WoT. Please. 

• Cool 26

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,887 posts
17,721 battles

No one in their right mind will flame you for saying that premium ammo has no place here, anyone who does, we'll, isn't in their right mind and forget that it would make this game Pay 2 Win and I'm certain no one, not even WG wants that to happen

Edited by tcbaker777

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

Anyone who bashes you for saying that premium ammo would be a bad idea, has absolutely no business playing this game. Same goes for he people who want it, they should leave and never come back. Even if half the population wanted it, I would gladly kick that half of the population out the door and slam it shut behind them and say good riddance.

This game doesn't need premium ammo, and we sure as hell don't need anyone who wants it.

Edited by renegadestatuz
  • Cool 1

Members
4,608 posts

I'm against the premium ammo as well.  I already get set on fire way too easily despite using the flag and captain skills to 'reduce' that chance.   Its one of the few things which would make me walk away from the game.

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

What kind of ammo would they even designate as premium ammo anyways?  

I suppose they could make up an AP shell mkII, but it's not like naval guns had 'special' ammo like HVAP, APCR, HEAT, and HESH like tank guns...

Sure, the US had super heavy shells but they would have been a homogeneous loadout IIRC.  Game vs Reality?  This is one thing I'm reluctant to give into even if it is just an arcadey game.

Also considering the amount of rng/dispersion in ships vs tanks, it would probably be more economical to just fire HE.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Based on some developer comments, I'm convinced that premium ammo is even less likely than player-controlled subs to ever have a chance of appearing in this game.

Also.  Speaking as someone who's never played WoT, if there's one thing involving that game that I'm sick and tired of, it would be whenever someone on theWoWsforum attempts to make a point about this game via unexplained, zero context Tanks references.

Don't assume that just because both happen to be Wargaming titles, that everyone here to discuss WoWS has the same familiarity with WoT.  If you're going to compare a ship's performance to that of a tank (or any other situation in this game relating to that one), please provide enough background information to put it into perspective for the rest of us.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Ugh, no. Never. Never gold ammo. Never ammo counts. (We'd never use the ammo limit anyway) Sub's won't happen (Though I still wish for Surcouf).

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,389 posts
29,467 battles

I think a good option for gold ammo would be increased range with a slight sigma increase.

Maybe even not increase bloom past normal gun bloom.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

And the cost of course would be in doubloons... not silver... 

Not that I want to see it either, but to be fair, offering it for doubloons only would be preferable to offering it for credits.

Prior to offering gold ammo for credits in WoT, it wasn't an issue, because the cost of it meant usage was limited. Once it became available for credits, everybody and his brother started slinging it, except for those who had trouble making bank, which opened the performance gap between good and bad players.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
1,128 posts
7,268 battles

I like premium ammo in WoT. I don't like that you can load up as much as you feel like though. If it was limited to a small number, it would actually turn into a tactical decision. Fire your good rounds early and screw yourself later, or save them for later when the game might be on the line.

This game however, should not have it IMO.

Edited by Ajax_the_Great1

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
9,624 battles

I like this game exactly because it isn't WoT.

If prem. ammo is added I'm out.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

Ugh unrestricted prem ammo for credits was the single worst game development decision in WoT IMO. They either needed to really limit it, like no more than 15% of total ano load, or like 1 or 2 magazines on autoloaders our else make it literally prohibitively expessive, like 20,000 credits per shell in mid tiers and 50,000 in high tiers (so that if you use more than 2 or 3 rounds in a match, regardless of circumstances, you just hemorrhage credits).

They did neither. I'm still waiting for the ability to buy a premium consumable in that game which permits removing an enemy's mobility, firepower, or stealth. If armor can be removed by reaching into the back pocket, why not other key gameplay components? Oh, that's right - because it's a completely preposterous concept that only a total lackwhit could think was a good idea. Yet they still did it with unrestricted prem ammo for credits

• Cool 2

[HINON]
894 posts
3,949 battles

Who are these people you speak of? I don't disagree with you but I cant say I have seen them myself so wondering what is the source of this? I don't think its the forums as we can see what most here are saying.

So who are these people so I can swiftly "remove" them from the sea with my non-gold ammo.

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

I understand the hate for premium ammo here, but where exactly have you been seeing all of these calls for it to really warrant this rant? The only thread I remember was that troll threat which baited way too many people.

Unless you've been seeing it in random in game chat, it doesn't seem to come up much around here and when it does it falls into obscurity rapidly.

As for the game itself we already have the ammo type that accomplishes WoT's prem ammo issue: HE. HE can still damage lightly armored areas on ships and also set fires for more damage when you know you can't do much damage with AP. The tradeoff is that fires are more repairable and more rng based than shell damage. In WoT, HE is just an ammo with better damage, but very low pen which can splash. This results in very low damage when it can't pen (there are exceptions, normally requiring big enough guns) and is not sustainable in a fight where the target can just pen you back with an armor piercing round.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

If Wg bring a other type of ammo into Wows. It sure as hell it won't be a premium ammo. It would be a 3rd type of stranded ammo like he and Ap

Also it near impossible to bring in p2w ammo when the stranded ammo have unlimited uses. what next? make premium ammo limited uses? as if

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,887 posts
17,721 battles

So who are these people so I can swiftly "remove" them from the sea with my non-gold ammo.

you mean execute the act of

8KCFF1b.png

[HINON]
894 posts
3,949 battles

you mean execute the act of

8KCFF1b.png

Look its still normal ammo.... just very big ammo...

BqyNokz.gif

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Based on some developer comments, I'm convinced that premium ammo is even less likely than player-controlled subs to ever have a chance of appearing in this game.

Also.  Speaking as someone who's never played WoT, if there's one thing involving that game that I'm sick and tired of, it would be whenever someone on the WoWs forum attempts to make a point about this game via unexplained, zero context Tanks references.

Don't assume that just because both happen to be Wargaming titles, that everyone here to discuss WoWS has the same familiarity with WoT.  If you're going to compare a ship's performance to that of a tank (or any other situation in this game relating to that one), please provide enough background information to put in into perspective for the rest of us.

I'll lay it out in a nutshell.

In the beginning, premium ammo was available for gold only. It was expensive, (anywhere from 2-7 gold per shot IIRC) but effective, as it was often impossible to penetrate even the weakest armor on a given target. (especially vs. a higher-tier heavy tank) HE rounds were usable, but if they didn't pen, their damage was inversely proportional to the armor thickness. You could damage the gun or optics or tracks, but that was about it.

Premium ammo typically allowed greater penetration, and mitigated armor.

Due to its gold cost, it wasn't in widespread use, except in clan wars, or by those clans that held a decent amount of land (holding land had a gold income per day, which was doled out to the clan members as the commander saw fit)

Then they announced it would be available for credits. It was still expensive, (1-2K per shot, when the average free player in a tech tree was making 10-20K per match) but if you played mid-tiers to amass credits, and/or used it sparingly, it was doable. The problem was, a player with a prem. acct. could use more of it, more still if they were driving a premium tank, and more still if they won more than they lost. (WoT gives +50% credits as well as +50% XP for a win)

So then you had a fair number of players who couldn't really afford its use, who were, instead of running into a gold-spamming opponent once every so many matches, were running into half the enemy using it (if not spamming it) in EVERY match. It also filtered down to low-tier seal clubbing.

Here, there's no need for it, because no ship is immune to being sunk by its weakest opponent. (though of course weaker opponents have to hit certain parts of the ship or start fires)

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,203 posts
15,770 battles

We already have what is effectively a special ammo in HE. It was never a desired ammunition to use against warships and was really only used for bombardment and if AP was not available. There are real world examples of special ammo in WWII era tanks but it was very rare and only used in specific circumstances.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,203 posts
15,770 battles

Ugh unrestricted prem ammo for credits was the single worst game development decision in WoT IMO. They either needed to really limit it, like no more than 15% of total ano load, or like 1 or 2 magazines on autoloaders our else make it literally prohibitively expessive, like 20,000 credits per shell in mid tiers and 50,000 in high tiers (so that if you use more than 2 or 3 rounds in a match, regardless of circumstances, you just hemorrhage credits).

They did neither. I'm still waiting for the ability to buy a premium consumable in that game which permits removing an enemy's mobility, firepower, or stealth. If armor can be removed by reaching into the back pocket, why not other key gameplay components? Oh, that's right - because it's a completely preposterous concept that only a total lackwhit could think was a good idea. Yet they still did it with unrestricted prem ammo for credits

Not really, the credit cost is so high that you are going to go broke paying for it if you spam it even if you have premium time.