Adm_Nate_Ellis937

Cruiser Perth

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

54 posts in this topic

She was also commissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Amphion before she was transferred to the RAN as HMAS Perth.

Perth is a Leander class "gamed up" by WG to be the way it is.  It also maintains the smoke generation theme, albeit differently, as her sister Leander, as no other Cruisers except these 2 can smoke.  That's why I still lump her in the RN CL family of ships.

I understand the reasoning and the comparison is clearly valid.  The only reason I mention it is that someone less familiar with the game might not understand the context and get the Perth expecting it to be an RN Premium.

Posted (edited) · Report post

So that's the specialty (novelty) item which makes the Perth desirable? I was looking her over in the tech tree (using the WoWS mod) to ascertain why people like her so much. I was comparing her to a Belfast and other cruisers at/near her tier. 

It just  wasn't obvious to me - so are there other reasons besides the 'moving smoke cloud' cause I'm curious too. 

Very nice HE.

Hydro

Spotter or fighter

OP smoke. 

No repair

100 mm belt

Edited by Rabidnid3

So that's the specialty (novelty) item which makes the Perth desirable? I was looking her over in the tech tree (using the WoWS mod) to ascertain why people like her so much. I was comparing her to a Belfast and other cruisers at/near her tier. 

It just  wasn't obvious to me - so are there other reasons besides the 'moving smoke cloud' cause I'm curious too. 

With a CE captain, she also gets her concealment down to 8.6, so she's very very stealthy.  Perth has a lot of utility.  She's got the creeping smoke and can equip either a spotter or a fighter to spot for herself while she's in smoke.  Her concealment allows her to go places other cruisers can't go, plus she's got the single shot torps like RN cruisers which can be a nasty surprise for people.  She can accelerate like an RN cruiser, which means if you're running hydro while in smoke, and someone tries to torp you, you can accelerate quickly, make the dodge, then slow back down and get back into your smoke.  A Leander dodging torps has to just straight up leave its smoke.

Played with a bit of savvy, Perth is a Capping Cruiser.  She's an uncommon sight in this game and people often wonder WTH they're supposed to do. 

Firstly, people don't like getting accurately shot at by someone in smoke, which Perth can do solo because unlike other smoke Cruisers, Perth can spot for herself!  Her shooting from smoke in a cap is the first deterrent to scare people away.

Secondly, the other instinct to attack smoke users is simply torp the s--t out of it.  But Perth uses Creeping Smoke and can move!  This is not like some RN CL trying to cap inside a very tiny smoke pattern to torpedo the s--t out of.  DD smoke is better but sometimes we don't get the luxury of DDs for every cap to contest, sometimes you get 1 or 0 DDs on your team.  crzyhawk already listed some counters Perth has for torpedoes.

Thirdly... Okay, the reds get an idea there's a stupid Cruiser in the cap.  Get a big bad ship and rush it, right?  Well, Perth has AP & HE shell options, so going bow on isn't like doing same against an RN CL and bouncing their shells with no HE at all from them.  She has torpedoes to use against rushing ships.

Fourth, Radar for most of the matches Perth fights in is rare.  It's worst for her when in a Tier VIII match when there's a lot of Tier VIII Radar Cruisers, but for Tier VII it's Atlanta, Indianapolis, and the ultra rare Flint.  Tier V-VI?  No Radar Crusiers.

===

The last nice thing about Perth in a capping situation and ahead of the team is that even when in smoke, due to Hydro and / or float plane use, she can spot for the team!  Not even a DD can do that! :D

I tested the idea of using fighters to spot for Perth instead of Spotters.

Why?

- they are more resilient

- they stay in the air much, much longer

I have found the loss of range bonus to be no loss at all.

Having long-term eyes in the sky is a clear advantage

Why?

I prefer the long range bonus. I normally cloak just before or when I get spotted and start whaling away. If I have to disengage, I turn directly or angled away and I can still shoot away. Plus spotter allows you to shoot over islands or shoot ships hiding behind islands.

Oh and a shot from last night. When they really want you dead!

y4m9KkCbxuQ_GhxUPoAQIbqEwz-iA1fsxc2bjqpa

I prefer the long range bonus. I normally cloak just before or when I get spotted and start whaling away. If I have to disengage, I turn directly or angled away and I can still shoot away. Plus spotter allows you to shoot over islands or shoot ships hiding behind islands.

Oh and a shot from last night. When they really want you dead!

y4m9KkCbxuQ_GhxUPoAQIbqEwz-iA1fsxc2bjqpa

I do all tou do .... just for longer, with a little less range.

Also, the smoke cooldown basically starts from the END of your smoke. On regular ships, the smoke deploys and the cooldown starts while you are using it. But on Perth, you are deploying the smoke until the very end. You then end up with 3+ minutes without smoke iirc.  :/

So that's why you must invest on the captain skill that reduce cooling down time (2 points) and the foxtro november flag and the premium version of the smoke screen consumable (240 to 144 seconds cooldown with all those improvements if I remember). That and the smoke generator mod 1 and you are in business with the Perth!

Why?

I agree with you, my spotters tend to get shot down far more easily than my fighters do.  I use the two fighter perk to double my chances of keeping a bird in the air.  Since I switched to fighters, I never once thought about going back to spotters.  I honestly didn't think that would be the case.

Played with a bit of savvy, Perth is a Capping Cruiser.  She's an uncommon sight in this game and people often wonder WTH they're supposed to do. 

Firstly, people don't like getting accurately shot at by someone in smoke, which Perth can do solo because unlike other smoke Cruisers, Perth can spot for herself!  Her shooting from smoke in a cap is the first deterrent to scare people away.

Secondly, the other instinct to attack smoke users is simply torp the s--t out of it.  But Perth uses Creeping Smoke and can move!  This is not like some RN CL trying to cap inside a very tiny smoke pattern to torpedo the s--t out of.  DD smoke is better but sometimes we don't get the luxury of DDs for every cap to contest, sometimes you get 1 or 0 DDs on your team.  crzyhawk already listed some counters Perth has for torpedoes.

Thirdly... Okay, the reds get an idea there's a stupid Cruiser in the cap.  Get a big bad ship and rush it, right?  Well, Perth has AP & HE shell options, so going bow on isn't like doing same against an RN CL and bouncing their shells with no HE at all from them.  She has torpedoes to use against rushing ships.

Fourth, Radar for most of the matches Perth fights in is rare.  It's worst for her when in a Tier VIII match when there's a lot of Tier VIII Radar Cruisers, but for Tier VII it's Atlanta, Indianapolis, and the ultra rare Flint.  Tier V-VI?  No Radar Crusiers.

===

The last nice thing about Perth in a capping situation and ahead of the team is that even when in smoke, due to Hydro and / or float plane use, she can spot for the team!  Not even a DD can do that! :D

These are why I think Perth is going to be a nasty customer if we do t6 ranked.  She's just got so many tools to use.  I also don't think that lower skilled players will be able to take full advantage, so it won't be like Belfast city T7 was.  Good players in a Perth will make a huge difference in the games though imo.

These are why I think Perth is going to be a nasty customer if we do t6 ranked.  She's just got so many tools to use.  I also don't think that lower skilled players will be able to take full advantage, so it won't be like Belfast city T7 was.  Good players in a Perth will make a huge difference in the games though imo.

T6 Ranked?  IMO, Leander and Perth will be great.  Smoke will be a major thing because there are no Radar-capable ships at Tier VI.  It will be hard for Hydro Cruisers to close in to expose Leander and Perth because let's face it, on average Cruisers below Tier VIII have lousy concealment.

The trick will be Carriers, no stopping a decently played CV from manual dropping torpedoes into the smoke.  Perth has s--t AA.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The trick will be Carriers, no stopping a decently played CV from manual dropping torpedoes into the smoke.  Perth has s--t AA.

see two, leave queue

The only cruiser to fear in one or Her Majesty's T6 cruisers is the Graf Spee.  She doesn't have concealment, but excellent hydro, firepower and survivability.  I will likely play Spee in ranked as well.

Edited by crzyhawk

After 27 battles in Perth I have to add that I love her! :D

I've tried the spotter plane.  However, fighters last longer 360s vs. 180s), have a faster cooldown (120 vs. 240), and are tougher in terms of getting shot down.

The guns, HE and AP, are identical to Belfast's.  Chance of fire per shell is only 11% with Demo Expert, but I seem to get a LOT of fire damage. (no IFHE yet...)

Torps are identical to Leander with 8.0 km range, speed of 61 knots and detection at only 1.3km.  Max damage is 15,433 HP so they are powerful weapons.  Plus you can do some fun things with the single launch in terms of weird, unpredictable spreads.  A simple line works very well at targets coming around an island.

I'm finally learning how to use hydro between Perth and Gaede.  Torps at 2.8km and ships at 4.0km.  Just had a Shira make the mistake of trying to ambush me in my smoke to figure out where I was.

More than any other ship, Perth forces you to really pay attention to managing your consumables.

I only have 11 captain skill points and am NOT using Concealment Expert.  Have Superintendent (essential) and Demo Expert plus Jack of All Trades instead.  Adding flag, JOAT takes smoke reload down from 160s to 144s.  Smoke activation is 117s with the special upgrade.

My sample size of 27 is statistically too small.  However, Perth is my best performing T6 cruiser by a significant margin.  Avg damage 50k, avg kills 1.3, avp XP with Premium 1,700.  Win rate is sky high for me in a cruiser.

This is how I'm doing right now vs the NA server stats for the Perth

NA Server Stat Avg

72806         51.48%    28931      1072      0.9       0.7      0.5    26%         35%     8%  955

Player AVG

168             48.21%    34176      1219      1.2      0.8        0.2  38%         28%      5%    1042

Win rate is lower than average but I 've been involved in a streak where matches collapse in 8 minutes or less and Perth is not a ship with a great alpha strike short of launching torps at CQB ranges. What I am doing great though is farming damage, specially when I do the squid routine. The smoke mod 1  keeps me alive longer. The spotter allows me to engage up to 15km, but accuracy falls when trying to shoot in 3D and both you and the target are engaging in evasive maneuvers.

What I suspect is that most Perth owners tend to play this ship as a large destroyer. It certainly can be done but it's a high risk high reward strategy. I tend to hold fire until they just about reach my detection range, go to 1/4 speed and do the walking smoke cloud routine, turn on hydro and start shooting. @ the 30 sec mark,see if I should turn around and go silent or keep shooting. I try and avoid CQB battles until mid-late game.

Still learning her myself, it's a small target and very agile so I'm going to try more shoot n scoot and rely less on smoke. Sometimes it just takes too long to get into the right position and games over, zero impact/ sfa damage.

I've only got a 17 pointer atm.  Just retrained into IFHE and dropped demo expert, damage just rolls in now.  It's much better imo.

This is what I am running at the present:  http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000100001100000000001000010000119

Eh, I use adrenaline rush because no damage control and I found out 3 smoke generators is enough in a game with a mod 1. if I don't have a mod 1 I would had used superintendent.

That's interesting. I had never considered dropping DE but maybe with the Captain retrain discount I will.

I have pri target, direction centre, expert marksman and adrenaline rush and joat, demo expert, concealment and ifhe.

Eh, I use adrenaline rush because no damage control and I found out 3 smoke generators is enough in a game with a mod 1. if I don't have a mod 1 I would had used superintendent.

AR is next up.  I usually burn through all 4 smoke generators with JOAT.  I tend to live up on the front lines around cap circles, and occasionally I will try to smoke for a pushing battleship.  A Bayern making a push at 25 knots behind a Perth cruising at 3/4 can be devastating.

That's interesting. I had never considered dropping DE but maybe with the Captain retrain discount I will.

I have pri target, direction centre, expert marksman and adrenaline rush and joat, demo expert, concealment and ifhe.

DE is only two % chance to fire anymore.  it goes from 6 to 8% IIRC.  I find it hard to justify 3 captain points for 2%.  I'm thinking about dropping it from most of my captains.

If you're using IFHE (and I do recommend it) you need DE to claw back the fire loss, imo.

AR is next up.  I usually burn through all 4 smoke generators with JOAT.  I tend to live up on the front lines around cap circles, and occasionally I will try to smoke for a pushing battleship.  A Bayern making a push at 25 knots behind a Perth cruising at 3/4 can be devastating.

In Random, I tend to go semi solo since I don't trust a lot of these jokers I see in Random. I go to a point where 95% of the time red tm would be going to, wait until they're just about to detect me, fire up the smoke generators and whale away. Throw up the spotters if no one is spotting. I had capped in areas where dd's don't want to scout but I find it a bit nerve wracking since most the jokers tend to scatter at the first sign of contact and leave you isolated.

The fire loss isn't really that significant.  I still start fires; I really don't notice the difference.  I'm actually pulling more, consistent damage with IFHE and no DE than I was with no IFHE and DE.  Demo expert imo, is just a waste at 2%.

As for me, I like to trail DD's into caps.  When the friendly DD pops the enemy DD that seems to invariably be around, the Perth likes to say "Surprise, MFer".  Light cruisers de-cloaking at 9km or so tend to really ruin an enemy DD's day.  Dropping an enemy DD in the first five minutes of a match can have a huge outcome on the outcome of a game, and I find that friendly DD's tend to play more aggressively when they have a cruiser in close support.  Perth is a nasty knife fighter with her maneuverability and single shot torps.

Perth has a high rate of fire with a good hit rate when using smoke, DE is worth it if your going for a raw damage build. Here's some probabilities agasint the average tier 6 BB equipped with Damage Control System Modification 1.

70% hit rate (Smoke spam at 6km)

Ammo Fires per minute Fire damage per minute
HE 2.9 30,245
HE + DE 3.6 36,966
IFHE 2.0 20,163
IFHE + DE 2.6 26,884

40% hit rate (Long range spam at 12km)

Ammo Fires per minute Fire damage per minute
HE 1.7 17,283
HE + DE 2.1 21,123
IFHE 1.1 11,522
IFHE + DE 1.5 15,362

It's a very simplistic view but Demolition Expert can add a potential 4,000 - 7,000 to your DPM. That's not insignificant when facing a BB like Konig where shell damage can be very low regardless of ammo type (less than 5,000 DPM)