You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slayer_Jesse

Muramansk still gud bote?

19 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,762 battles

Im kinda on the fence on it...

on 1 hand i like my Americans, even if they are lend leased. The torps/spotter also look nice.

on the other hand, i own a Nicolai, I dont really plan on  pushing down Russian cruisers any time soon. (I've got Shors unlocked) I do have a Russian IFHE captain though.

It's one of those things where I more want the ship than actually need it...

:child:

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

I mean...It's a good ship, but it's tier 5...

You will constantly have to deal with things like New Mexico, Fuso, Leander, Cleveland and Bayern...

You will also have to fight Fiji, Myoko, Pensacola, Nagato and Scharnhorst half the time...

You will fare better than other tier 5s if you are paranoid of getting shot at, likes long range sniping, and uses island covers...

But still, you are gonna get chased like a little girl most of the time while the big bad botes chases behind you and gobble your hit points up like delicious cookies... 

• Cool 3

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,871 battles

It's very useful in those oddball missions you can never predict, especially in some future campaign thing..

'Hit enemy ships with torpedoes 5 times in one battle with Russian cruiser'

You never know...

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

It used to be a really good money printer as you ground up from a newbie in the game, but, the game has changed a lot since then, and mine has been rusting in my port for some time because of this.

It is the fate of many of the older models in the game that once were indeed good ships, but now are just fond memories.

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
1,082 posts
41,468 battles

Marblehead has recently been a great ship for me, all down to WG bumping her firing range from 12.9 to 13.9 km. Murmansk has .7 km more range but 2 less guns and way better if slower reloading torps. A year ago, Murmansk was the queen of credit earners and even today, if my frame of reference the Marblehead earns 250k credits in a match, you pull almost all of that back out because these ships are ridiculously cheap to run. Pretty good 16 bucks to spend if you don't have something like it; think T5 Duca D'Aosta.

• Cool 1

Members
1,870 posts
20,625 battles

Oh it's always been a good boat but that's not the problem.

The problems come in two parts:

1: When they changed the MM she started to get bottom tiered in most of her games so she'll often be a slower ship with weaker guns than who she goes up against.

2: The power creep that comes with introducing new ships combined with #1 means that the Murmansk has a harder time in games than she used to. Imagine if you will a 1 on 1 with a Graf Spee; who would you be betting on..

A year ago neither 1 or 2 would happen; it happens all the time now.

To sum up; she's a good ship but will be put into situations she's not built to handle. So if you're the kind of player that looks for a good challenge then go for it.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,762 battles

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll probably pass on her and wait to see if hood gets buffed or it tank trade in comes to NA :coin:

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
1,082 posts
41,468 battles

As an aside, premium battleships at virtually all tiers require premium damage control and repair party to function at 100%, otherwise they're at like 80%. DD's should use premium smoke except for possibly high tier Russian ones, and high tier cruisers like Atago should use a premium heal. Lower tier premium cruisers like Murmansk, the Duc, Molotov etc. have the large economic benefit of not needing premium consumables to function at like 95% effectiveness, thus saving upwards of 45k credits or more per match. And if you run a standard, non premium account, as a percentage of your earnings, not spending on premium consumables practically multiplies your earnings. So if you are considering a premium at least partly for credit income and are running a standard account, Murmansk or the Duke at $16 and$24 respectively are possibly the best ships out there.

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Murmansk earned me my first kraken. It also brought me past 100k the first time. Despite the aft nerf, it remains a formidable ship. Particularly with IFHE.

However, like all T5s, it got screwed when WG gave T3s and T4s preferential MM. It will see T7s approximately 70% of the time.

Granted, with its maneuverability and range, Murmansk is probably better suited than most cruisers to deal with that uptiering. And when you're top tier, it can be immensely satisfying to play.

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

I mean...It's a good ship, but it's tier 5...

You will constantly have to deal with things like New Mexico, Fuso, Leander, Cleveland and Bayern...

You will also have to fight Fiji, Myoko, Pensacola, Nagato and Scharnhorst half the time...

You will fare better than other tier 5s if you are paranoid of getting shot at, likes long range sniping, and uses island covers...

But still, you are gonna get chased like a little girl most of the time while the big bad botes chases behind you and gobble your hit points up like delicious cookies... 

Very good thumbnail review +1.

The game has changed for the poor Murmansk and I have not taken her out in a long time.

[RLGN]
Members
19,119 posts
35,138 battles

Murmansk is the first ship I put RPF on, and I've used it to hunt destroyers, to help spot, and to stay away from people who want to challenge the Stalinium mustache.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/123794-pointy-aft-round-aft-flat-aft/

[4TAC]
[4TAC]
Members
440 posts
18,088 battles

If they ever do something for Tier 5 in the matchmaking department, I'll sail her again. She is my second most used ship. However, you can count on one hand the number of times I fought with her in the past six months. She just doesn't normally fare well when she is double-uptiered, which she usually is.

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles

I've got a little under 100 games in the Murmansk. I bought it right before it was removed from the tech tree premiums last year.

With the meta changes of the last 6-9 months, I dont play it as often, but when I do, your firefighters better be prepared ;).

She is still pretty nimble and can do well, but never ever show your side or you will become an observer very quickly.

When bottom tier, you can survive if you are smart, when top tier (oh so rare unortunately), you can own the match, though you still have to be careful and maintain a high level of situational awareness.

I recommend her, but the game play isn't for everyone.

B

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

Ive got over 2000 games in Murmansk, its my favorite ship to play, its like a large DD, fast at 34 k, has the best rudder shift of any Cruiser in game , thats its strength avoiding shots from other ships at 10k plus, that succer can turn ,, so set it up with that in mind, its 152 guns are ok, the spotter plane gives you just over 17k range although big learning curve to use it,the 8 k torps are slow good for ambush or when being chased mostly 

Can you say fradgile , the Murmansk is a glass boat , very fradgile so play it accordingly, at V it can be a dominant player but in todays MM with newer Cruisers suffers from power creep when your against Vl-Vll You have got to adapt your play .. even with every upgrade , flag and 19 point Captain,its a tough go ... but fun boat , my fav

The Murmansk is fun once you learn how to play it

Edited by HMCS_Devilfish

[RLGN]
Members
19,119 posts
35,138 battles

murmansk is ok...

Kutuzov is much better. 

Umm... No... At least not to me.

I liked it when I used it for Honorable Service, but for regular play? I'd rather use Murmansk. Too much bovine byproducts in high-tier games for my tastes.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Used to love that ship, now not so much. The combination of bottom tiering and adapting to Soviet laser guns makes those floaty shells annoying to me now. :B 

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,080 posts
60,031 battles

What really hurt the ship is the changes to BFT/AFT.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,062 posts
30,833 battles

Murmansk is still one of the best Tier V boats in the game.  Of all the Omaha-class in the game, she is EASILY the best.  That is absolutely indisputable.

The only problem is the MM screws over Tier V-VI ships by having them quite often as bottom feeders.  You can still make Murmansk work in a Tier VII match but you are so easy to kill just like any Tier V Cruiser.  The older Tier V Cruisers made their money in the old CL meta before German and Russian Cruisers arrived.  The "meta" back then was trading gun spam.  But subsequent ships introduced don't play that (Konigsberg, Kirov don't).  Later tiered ships with 8" guns don't play that as they only need 1 salvo to do crazy damage to you.  Murmansk sees more often deadlier 16" Battleships that are way more accurate and wayyyyy more powerful than the Tier V ones she gets to troll on.  Nagato, Colorado will be deadly to her.  Scharnhorst has smaller guns than them but faster shooting, a deadly combo for even a Tier VII Cruiser, much less a paper armored Tier V one.