You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Xenomancers

Will USS Alaska ever make it into the game?

63 comments in this topic

[BLNCE]
Members
2,293 posts
7,614 battles

You could probably sell Alaska for 60$ and make a killing WG. Please release. Just take my money.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Possibly, but likely not for a while. She'd be a pain to balance, and then theres the question of if she's represented as a cruiser or battleship under the game's system (since battlecruisers are labeled as BBs), because of the fact they to the pine between the two and tend to create large debates over which they actually are.

I'd imagine they come in at tier VII, and American opponent to Scharnhorst, trading torpedoes and armor protection for greater firepower and AA.

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,781 battles

The US military may label Alaska and her sister Guam as "large cruisers", but their armament was nine 12" guns, which were larger than the Scharnhorst's. She was also only slightly smaller than the North Carolina-class so I see her as a BB, likely at tier VIII or IX. Of course, her armor was somewhere between that of a CA and a BB instead of the turtleback scheme of the Shiny Horse so it'll be interesting to see what they do to balance her.

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

If she were named for a city then she'd be a cruiser. States go in the BB line. In theory you could have sweet guns and AA in exchange for light armor. Basically the Atlanta of battleships. Weird max-min'ed designs like that are perfect for premiums. 

• Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
1,602 posts
14,841 battles

The Scharny is a BB because she has a BBs body.  The Alaska certainly does not.  If placed in game as a BB it will be a huge liability to any team she is on since she will be decimated by cruisers and the extra 'real' BB on the other team.  Unless they have an Alaska too.  :)   She needs to be a cruiser.

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

If she were named for a city then she'd be a cruiser. States go in the BB line. In theory you could have sweet guns and AA in exchange for light armor. Basically the Atlanta of battleships. Weird max-min'ed designs like that are perfect for premiums. 

Alaska wasn't named for a state. She was named for a territory, much like her sister Guam. Alaska only became a state later.
  • Cool 6

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

Alaska wasn't named for a state. She was named for a territory, much like her sister Guam. Alaska only became a state later.

This. Alaska was not a state yet. She was still a territory until 1959.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,014 battles

You could probably sell Alaska for 60$ and make a killing WG. Please release. Just take my money.

It's a U.S. ship, though, on top of that one that actually existed.  Do we really want to see what WG would do to it?

It is huge, although did have a deck armor of 102mm.  Think they'd let it have 102mm of deck armor in game?  At 229mm belt armor it would be in imminent danger of annihilation at all times when exposed anything other than near bow on to the BBs it would face.  Maybe a 23 sec reload on 9 12" guns means the cruisers it could hit (provided it can see them at the tier it would be in) would be in for serious hurt, but damage to BBs would be lackluster at best unless close and broadside.  Sounds fun, sort of like a super Graf Spee and probably about as effective at what, T8, 9?  A sniper until late game, a sitting duck for torps in smoke, ridiculously powerful AA if they let it have that. 

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

It's a U.S. ship, though, on top of that one that actually existed.  Do we really want to see what WG would do to it?

It is huge, although did have a deck armor of 102mm.  Think they'd let it have 102mm of deck armor in game?  At 229mm belt armor it would be in imminent danger of annihilation at all times when exposed anything other than near bow on to the BBs it would face.  Maybe a 23 sec reload on 9 12" guns means the cruisers it could hit (provided it can see them at the tier it would be in) would be in for serious hurt, but damage to BBs would be lackluster at best unless close and broadside.  Sounds fun, sort of like a super Graf Spee and probably about as effective at what, T8, 9?  A sniper until late game, a sitting duck for torps in smoke, ridiculously powerful AA if they let it have that. 

You are describing a super-Atlanta. As someone who is currently getting his rear end kicked learning to play Atlanta without embarrassing myself, that thought both excites and terrifies me. 

Members
2,406 posts
39,348 battles

Alaska- T8 premium cruiser which USN line needs. Why not, Graf Spee has 11" guns and is a T6.

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,014 battles

You are describing a super-Atlanta. As someone who is currently getting his rear end kicked learning to play Atlanta without embarrassing myself, that thought both excites and terrifies me. 

Yeah, only reason I compared it to the Spee instead of the Atlanta or a mix of both is that Alaska would have real guns like Spee and not the Chinese lantern shells of the Atlanta.  Guess you could call it a super Atlanta with Spee guns at T9 equivalent.

[KIA-T]
Beta Testers
1,857 posts
6,486 battles

I am sure the Alaska will come eventually. It will probably be quite a long time though.

[-NEM-]
Members
1,108 posts
13,358 battles

Her belt is not that bad, Amagi has a 250 mm belt IIRC. The reload of the 305 mm/50 guns were in 25 sec, but they have the same belt penetration power as New Mexico's guns, and better deck penetration at long ranges. She should be fine as a tier VII premium battleship, and she was incredibly fast too, with a flank speed of 33 knots (same as Iowa I believe). The AA capabilities are slightly better than Baltimore on the close-range bubble, having the same long-range DPS and range.

Edited by hanesco

[OBS]
Members
1,277 posts
12,014 battles

Her belt is not that bad, Amagi has a 250 mm belt IIRC. The reload of the 305 mm/50 guns were in 25 sec, but they have the same belt penetration power as New Mexico's guns, and slightly worse deck penetration. She should be fine as a tier VII premium battleship, and she was incredibly fast too.

Maybe, do you really think they'd let it be a T7 BB though?  It was commissioned late war so I doubt it, plus the AA at T7 unless they seriously nerfed it would be obscene.  Hard to say with this one.  A T8 or 9 Spee type would be sort of interesting, let it be a high tier CA, the slow ROF should be enough of a handicap to allow the other high tier cruisers to deal with it reasonably.

[BLNCE]
Members
2,293 posts
7,614 battles

Ehh - I think it would be comparable to the Donskoi with NM type guns with lower reload. T9 premium makes the most sense.

[-NEM-]
Members
1,108 posts
13,358 battles

Maybe, do you really think they'd let it be a T7 BB though?  It was commissioned late war so I doubt it, plus the AA at T7 unless they seriously nerfed it would be obscene.  Hard to say with this one.  A T8 or 9 Spee type would be sort of interesting, let it be a high tier CA, the slow ROF should be enough of a handicap to allow the other high tier cruisers to deal with it reasonably.

I think she would be fine in tier VII, if we put her as a cruiser, she can only be a tier X. A cruiser with 25 s reload at tier X will not be impressive, and there's more probability of seeing a premium BB at tier VII than seeing a premium cruiser at tier X

Edited by hanesco

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Alaska's got the armor of the Dunkerque, catapult (low Velocity) 12" guns, and AA a little better than Baltimore (2 more quad Bofors, and 11 more 20mm cannons).

Basically;

90.6 dps @ 5.01 km

222.6 dps @ 3.51 km

122.4 dps @ 2.01 km

The choice of making it a BB or CL/CA under the game's classification system would be totally up to WG, based on how they want to balance it.

Members
1,731 posts
11,839 battles

AA in the game currently is basically all or nothing.  you either shoot a plane or 2 down, or you slaughter them all in no time.  the cleve and atl both do this already so having another ship do it wouldn't be that big of a difference. 

granted by the time we see this ship if we ever do, will be after the CV rework.   perhaps AA will be reworked by then changing how this all plays out.