Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

On Capping

11 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

This is just a friendly reminder (that no one who cares enough about the game to read the forums needs) that after you successfully capture a point, you should immediately begin moving towards the next capture point or next engagement with the enemy. Camping the uncontested capture point while four ships on your team try to hold off twelve isn't how battles are won. Try it! Your win-rate and my cardiologist will thank you. :honoring:

• Cool 2

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

I am a very aggressive player with a very low survival rate considering my other stats. My friends tell me I play every class like a Destroyer. I rush in without my team sometimes, not just to YOLO, not just for fun, but because I am adept at dealing with multiple targets. I once took my Atago straight into the enemy fleet on hotspot. I did 140k and got 4 kills in under 4 minutes. I had a 7 kill minekaze game with 5 devastating strikes just by rushing in before the other team could get in positions. 

This is a stupid suggestion and not an absolute rule. Often the best strategy is to protect the cap, not charge into the next one. Work with your teammates. Merry go rounds are 50/50, but if you play them right you can flank the enemy team or surprise them. Sometimes charging in will get you spotted and cost your team the cap. Today my team won a close game when I took my Z23 and stayed at the perimeter of the cap knowing that if I pushed in a New Orleans could radar me and a Yugumo or Gearing rushing in might spot me before I finished. Instead I took the cap. And then, rather than pushing to the next cap I stayed at the perimeter landing 10 torpedoes across 3 volleys at the enemy fleet. I finished the battle with over 100k dmg in my least favorite ship I currently have, and my team held on for a points win despite being down a ship.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

Why bother capping when there is safe to be farmed?

[DD214]
Members
816 posts
44,745 battles

So, take ground and risk ship to cap IS usually worth it, and a factor that many "kill them all"  miss. A cap gains points and holding a cap advantage over the red team is worth about a ship a minute. Holding all three (or four) caps also reduces the relative point count between teams. Since zero points game over, not having caps usually mean loss.

The fatal flaw in the original post is the quick move to the next cap. The value of the cap is not the ribbon, it's the accumulation of points that grows as the point is held. I love a lemming march when I can follow in my DD and cap after they leave.

Cap, Hold, Kill=Win. In that order most of the time.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

I am a very aggressive player with a very low survival rate considering my other stats. My friends tell me I play every class like a Destroyer. I rush in without my team sometimes, not just to YOLO, not just for fun, but because I am adept at dealing with multiple targets. I once took my Atago straight into the enemy fleet on hotspot. I did 140k and got 4 kills in under 4 minutes. I had a 7 kill minekaze game with 5 devastating strikes just by rushing in before the other team could get in positions. 

This is a stupid suggestion and not an absolute rule. Often the best strategy is to protect the cap, not charge into the next one. Work with your teammates. Merry go rounds are 50/50, but if you play them right you can flank the enemy team or surprise them. Sometimes charging in will get you spotted and cost your team the cap. Today my team won a close game when I took my Z23 and stayed at the perimeter of the cap knowing that if I pushed in a New Orleans could radar me and a Yugumo or Gearing rushing in might spot me before I finished. Instead I took the cap. And then, rather than pushing to the next cap I stayed at the perimeter landing 10 torpedoes across 3 volleys at the enemy fleet. I finished the battle with over 100k dmg in my least favorite ship I currently have, and my team held on for a points win despite being down a ship.

So, take ground and risk ship to cap IS usually worth it, and a factor that many "kill them all"  miss. A cap gains points and holding a cap advantage over the red team is worth about a ship a minute. Holding all three (or four) caps also reduces the relative point count between teams. Since zero points game over, not having caps usually mean loss.

The fatal flaw in the original post is the quick move to the next cap. The value of the cap is not the ribbon, it's the accumulation of points that grows as the point is held. I love a lemming march when I can follow in my DD and cap after they leave.

Cap, Hold, Kill=Win. In that order most of the time.

:facepalm: Well thanks for explaining why so many teams think they can win by sitting on A while B and C are held by the enemy team, without trying to play the game until it's too late (if at all). Seriously, re-read my post and try again at logic.

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

This is just a friendly reminder (that no one who cares enough about the game to read the forums needs) that after you successfully capture a point, you should immediately begin moving towards the next capture point or next engagement with the enemy. Camping the uncontested capture point while four ships on your team try to hold off twelve isn't how battles are won. Try it! Your win-rate and my cardiologist will thank you. :honoring:

This guy gets it.

I would also add that allowing the reds to take all 3 caps within 3 minutes is a good recipe for a 4:30 battle and defeat.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Let's add a caveat that destroyers aren't the only ones who can cap. Especially IJN and RU destroyers who are all but incapable of dueling for caps against USN and German stealth gunships.

Sign in to follow this