You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Smaller team battles on the Ocean map

7 comments in this topic

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

The title says it all. I feel the Ocean map is one of the best and really think they err in not using it more because of the whining that goes on about having to have islands to hide behind etc, or *it's boring* etc. Hey, welcome to the briny deep where a majority of battles took place out of sight of land. This map is the most conducive to team play and smaller teams of say 8-10 ships would allow for quicker battles, likely at a higher intensity.

Just a thought... bring the Ocean map back. Set up a few battles based on the historical (Coronel, Falkland Islands etc). N.B. Not strictly nationality-based *historical battles*; more like loosely based on those battles with the usual multi-national array.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

Privateers
728 posts
9,377 battles

Ocean hasn't gone anywhere, it's just really, really, unlikely to appear. Don't believe me? Here's a screenshot of the replay file for Ocean from a few days ago:

2DhG9IN.png

Historical battles have a big fat NO from me. I was there in WoT when that crap show happened. All that game mode did was show how tremendously out of balance each nation was at equal tiers with the other nations.

I think the only answer to Ocean would be to make the entire map smaller; force the teams together and not allow anyone to run all that far away from the fight. Smaller teams would only work in conjunction with a smaller map (i.e, Ranked Battles).

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

Of course I was not suggesting anything like strict nationality-based *historical battles*; more like loosely based on with the usual multi-national array.

Members
6,587 posts
8,564 battles

I only have two problems with ocean, one is recent.

1) It caters too much to battleships. Cruisers and destroyers can't survive long in open water, especially not in a BB heavy meta. Ocean in anything other than a BB is nothing but 10-20 minutes of pure frustration and just way too tedious of gameplay.

2) The only tiers that see Ocean anymore are the worst tiers to play on that map.(this is the recent problem I have with Ocean) I've only ever seen Ocean recently when in a T8/9/10 ship. These are the worst tiers to have zero cover available in.(the biggest gripe I have about nearly every high tier map is there is too much open water and not enough islands to provide cover to the smaller, softer ships) Everything is virtually a glass cannon and it only further stagnates the already stagnant gameplay at the top tiers.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

1) It caters too much to battleships. Cruisers and destroyers can't survive long in open water, especially not in a BB heavy meta. Ocean in anything other than a BB is nothing but 10-20 minutes of pure frustration and just way too tedious of gameplay.

2) The only tiers that see Ocean anymore are the worst tiers to play on that map.(this is the recent problem I have with Ocean) I've only ever seen Ocean when in a T8/9/10 ship. These are the worst tiers to have zero cover available in. Everything is virtually a glass cannon and it only further stagnates the already stagnant gameplay at the top tiers.

And this brings up another wish of mine for more variable weather and visibility. I quite liked Ocean on lower tiers, and even the higher.... but this is not to say I would want it all that repeatedly or often.

Members
12,682 posts
14,320 battles

Especially after British BBs arrive Ocean map would be great to have Battle of Jutland style Dreadnaught battles.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,842 posts
30,530 battles

2) The only tiers that see Ocean anymore are the worst tiers to play on that map.(this is the recent problem I have with Ocean) I've only ever seen Ocean recently when in a T8/9/10 ship. These are the worst tiers to have zero cover available in.(the biggest gripe I have about nearly every high tier map is there is too much open water and not enough islands to provide cover to the smaller, softer ships) Everything is virtually a glass cannon and it only further stagnates the already stagnant gameplay at the top tiers.

Yeah I seem to remember they took Ocean out of lower tiered play and you only see it around tier 8. Personally I like the open map, it changes things up and forces everyone to work together. Sure it can turn into a slaughter for cruisers but really don't think that changes anything, CAs tend to get deleted on normal maps as well. DD's have to provide smoke and spot without firing their guns on the Ocean map. I have probably played maybe 3 games on Ocean in total and IMHO it is a shame it isn't in the rotation more.