You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
needlenoses4

Money Money Mooooney From a Newbie

24 comments in this topic

[K0]
Members
132 posts
14,218 battles

Ok, just tossing this out there.  Reasonably new an d I have worked my way up through tier 1, 2 and I am venturing into 3.  Has been interesting with the torpedoes.  Now I hate destroyers.  Kill kill!!

Anyway, I have been buying and selling ship as a way to try them out.  But I still have all this MONEY hanging around top-right.  26 290 926 Exchange, 179 549 Convert XP plus of course the ship XP.  So what else can I spend this on.  I would like to use it for CAMO if there is a way and some Module Upgrades require say, 125 000 plus 25 gold coin.  I don't want to spend any real money yet while I am exploring my option.  So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I am seeing PLANES and their icons now.  How do I activate the AA on different ships.   With out shooting down friendlies. Did get a tier III ship with torpedoes so that should be cool to learn.

Lastly, is their a drug to smarted me up.  I just cant help myself when it comes to Battleships.  I go right after them and pound on them until they light up, or blow me out of the water ( the norm ):izmena:

Thanks in advance. I am all ears!!!  So to speak.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
324 posts
4,905 battles

Your enthusiasm is nice to see. 

Money (silver) is used to buy most everything in game: new ships, modules for ships, 1-use camo, etc. I advise you to save as much as you can for higher tiers, especially as you're still learning the game. Money (aka credits) is so important, many players have credit farmers they use to generate it. It can also be bought with real money. At this point, you really should only spend money on new ships and upgrade to those ships (hull, guns, torps, etc). At lower tiers it doesn't make much financial sense to buy modules unless you plan on keeping the ship.

Regarding AA, don't worry, you can't shoot down friendly planes. AA fire is automatic: your ship will fire at any and all enemy planes in range. If you play DDs, turn it off (default: P) so as not to reveal your position. You can also target individual squadrons for maximum effect (like target the torp bombers instead of fighters or dive bombers). 

Edited by Dunnik
  • Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

First of all, HOW, in the name of George W Bush, did you accumulate 26 million credits from just playing tiers 1 and 2  with a bit of 3?????   Not to mention 179k free xp...

ingame, P turns your AA on and off.  it's all automatic after that.   Control-left click on a squadron to focus your firepower on them.  AA is controlled by the game AI, you don't need to do anything- it will shoot at any enemy planes that come in range.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,522 posts
28,454 battles

Check out our recent Wikipeace:  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles

Ok, just tossing this out there.  Reasonably new an d I have worked my way up through tier 1, 2 and I am venturing into 3.  Has been interesting with the torpedoes.  Now I hate destroyers.  Kill kill!!

Anyway, I have been buying and selling ship as a way to try them out.  But I still have all this MONEY hanging around top-right.  26 290 926 Exchange, 179 549 Convert XP plus of course the ship XP.  So what else can I spend this on.  I would like to use it for CAMO if there is a way and some Module Upgrades require say, 125 000 plus 25 gold coin.  I don't want to spend any real money yet while I am exploring my option.  So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I am seeing PLANES and their icons now.  How do I activate the AA on different ships.   With out shooting down friendlies. Did get a tier III ship with torpedoes so that should be cool to learn.

Lastly, is their a drug to smarted me up.  I just cant help myself when it comes to Battleships.  I go right after them and pound on them until they light up, or blow me out of the water ( the norm ):izmena:

Thanks in advance. I am all ears!!!  So to speak.

I love your fist line Now I hate Destroyers.

My advice..  go get one, play it a lot whether you like it or not..  that way you will understand what a DD has to do to make a difference in the game, but more importantly,  it will give you the mindset of a DD captain which will be the best knowledge you can have when sailing a Cruiser or a BB as you go up the tiers..  seriously :)

M

Edited by MaliceA4Thought

Members
433 posts

First of all, HOW, in the name of George W Bush, did you accumulate 26 million credits from just playing tiers 1 and 2  with a bit of 3?????   Not to mention 179k free xp...

ingame, P turns your AA on and off.  it's all automatic after that.   Control-left click on a squadron to focus your firepower on them.  AA is controlled by the game AI, you don't need to do anything- it will shoot at any enemy planes that come in range.

a super crate with 25m in it would probably do it.

Members
1,603 posts
18,714 battles

Just play.  You will learn as you go.  The best way to learn how to counter those pesky destroyers is to learn how to play them yourself.  Cruisers are the best way to counter the destroyers.

Welcome to the Word of Warships.  All I ask of you on this forum is please don't ask for submarines....please.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Save it.

High tiers are incredibly expensive for both the entry (buying ships, modules, etc), as well as staying there (consumables, resupply).

For doubloons, you mostly want to save it for ships.

WG gives away exp camos every so often, so there's no need to spend doubloons on those. and the other camos can be bought with credits.

And finally, with free exp, there's Missouri, which costs 750k, so you might want to start saving now.

• Cool 2

[K0]
Members
132 posts
14,218 battles

Ok, first off, I have no idea how I accumulated 26 392 355 credits.  Yes, I did win a Super Container but I don't remember what was in it.  Even knew less back then. Good to know about saving up for higher tiers; makes sense to me.  I stopped putting camo on tier 1 ships even though I do like to still run around at that level.  As a new guy I am finding that the bigger ships, like the III TENRYA, III KOLBERG, III FRIANT along with some tier II ships are very slow to maneuver an reload which is not an asset when I like to bang on Battleships for fun.  Not a big points race for me at this point; just having fun.  Hate those Destroyers!!!!  Love blasting away at the pesky little varmints!! But yes, I should try to find one to captain around for a bit.  Have not seen one that I could buy.  Will have another look.

So, AA.  If I hit the "P" an icon comes up nest to my AMMO which says OFF me thinks.  So even with Cruisers OFF would be good and hidden!!

Thanks for input everyone, and yes I am having fun.  Damn Destroyers!!!:izmena:

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

WoWS is a bit of a slower game in general.

6-7s reload is fairly standard for a light cruiser, and 10-12 seconds is more the norm for a heavy cruiser (starting at T5 for IJN, T7 for most others).

If you want faster reloads, you'll have to go for destroyers.

The Russian destroyer leaders staring at T8 Kiev start playing more like light cruisers.

Privateers
728 posts
9,377 battles

Yes, I did win a Super Container but I don't remember what was in it

Well that explains the ridiculous amount of credits, but not the free exp. I guess a 150,000 free exp Super Container might have done it (if it exists). If you really did get two Supers with 25 mil and 150k exp, that makes you several times luckier than 99% of this forum :D. You should go buy a lottery ticket with that kind of luck on your side.

Keep your AA on for all ships except destroyers, as your AA range is less than your detection by air, so your AA will never give your position away. Destroyers should keep it off, though. (There are two exceptions with the tier 9 and 10 British CL's, but don't worry about that).

I recommend playing all classes up to Tier 5 to begin with, as knowing the in and outs of each will improve your gameplay in the other classes.

As for reloads, like Issm said, 6-7 seconds is normal for low tier cruisers and high-tier light cruisers. Heavy cruisers usually have between 8-15 second reloads, while battleships are pretty much always ~30 seconds. Destroyers have the fastest reloads: usually <6 seconds. Again some exceptions apply; but don't worry for now.

Keep having fun, but take a look at YouTube and the forums for gameplay improvement tips and tricks.

[K0]
Members
132 posts
14,218 battles

I only recall getting 1 super container; I had not even heard of it before I got it.  As for the rest of it, I suppose that I am just a super shot!!!!  Yeah right.  Not.

Did go in today with a tier IV cruiser carrying torps. New to me.  So in my infinite wisdom ( could not see any of those damn destroyers to kill ) I decided to swing down then cut right across a channel to unleash my torpedoes.  Fire 1, fire 2, then bang, I get really hit bad.  The shells came out of a fog bank.  Trying to evade and seek, no ship.  Bang, I'm dead.  Day the tracers coming out of the fog bank.  Did fire a couple of torps in that general direction.  So, what I think is that it must have been battleship with longer gun range therefore longer viewing range.  I really have no defence from that even though I was zigging an zagging like crazy.   Bit of an unfair advantage but nobody said life was easy.

That is my rant for today.

Oh, and how do I get a destroyer so that I can be a [edited]too!!!

• Cool 1

Members
433 posts

I only recall getting 1 super container; I had not even heard of it before I got it.  As for the rest of it, I suppose that I am just a super shot!!!!  Yeah right.  Not.

Did go in today with a tier IV cruiser carrying torps. New to me.  So in my infinite wisdom ( could not see any of those damn destroyers to kill ) I decided to swing down then cut right across a channel to unleash my torpedoes.  Fire 1, fire 2, then bang, I get really hit bad.  The shells came out of a fog bank.  Trying to evade and seek, no ship.  Bang, I'm dead.  Day the tracers coming out of the fog bank.  Did fire a couple of torps in that general direction.  So, what I think is that it must have been battleship with longer gun range therefore longer viewing range.  I really have no defence from that even though I was zigging an zagging like crazy.   Bit of an unfair advantage but nobody said life was easy.

That is my rant for today.

Oh, and how do I get a destroyer so that I can be a [edited]too!!!

in the respective tech tree, view the cruiser you have to play to unlock the destroyer branch.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

The only thing I can think of, is that he paid money to a scam site, one that sells credits and free XP. 

What you get for your $$ is your client modded to show extra stuff. If this is the case, he'll find that he can't spend much of those credits/free XP.

I mean, THEORETICALLY, if he earned ~35K credits per game, in his 759 games, he could have that amount of credits, but to get that much free XP, he'd have to earn ~4700 XP per game, and you certainly can't do that in low tiers.

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

If you remember back to when you were new, you'll remember that as you rank/level up your account, you are rewarded with credits, consumables, etc.  I remember thinking to myself as I leveled up that credits would flow like water the rest of my time in game.  I was heartbreakingly mistaken.

Members
212 posts
3,095 battles

If you remember back to when you were new, you'll remember that as you rank/level up your account, you are rewarded with credits, consumables, etc.  I remember thinking to myself as I leveled up that credits would flow like water the rest of my time in game.  I was heartbreakingly mistaken.

Yep.... If you play the PT server you will see that going through the ranks up to player level ?14? nets you an extra ~$10 million credits and about 3000 free XP.  As I went through the first 4 tiers I was thinking "How could I loose, at this rate I will reach T10 in a few days/weeks!".... boy was I wrong... still havent gotten to T10 yet, up to Balti after 1500+ battles.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Good point, I forgot about that, as a lot of the rewards came after I had already reached them, so I was used to getting rewards at patch time instead of when earned.

[RLGN]
Members
165 posts
11,805 battles

Yeah, you will get 11 million in quick order right in the beginning, and you are always making profits until T7 or T8.  You probably got free xp in a super container.

I remembered thinking how stupid the economy system is, the money is just useless, and I was spending it and wasting it like a billionaire.... You should save the money for later tiers. T9 costs around 25 million and T10 30 million to fully equip.

Members
153 posts
4,032 battles

l getting 1 super container; I had not even heard of it before I got it.  As for the rest of it, I suppose that I am just a super shot!!!!  Yeah right.  Not.

That wasnt fog

[K0]
Members
132 posts
14,218 battles

Ok, me again.  So I have been playing a lot trying to learn ( just found out about reticle options).  I have been driving some tier V and VI boats.  Trying to feel them out a bit before moving on.  I am still getting killed be BB's that are out of sight even though I never sail in a straight line nor do I stay in a steady turn for long.  Change speed when I can.  I have also been torped my aircraft ( little time do evade once I see them ).  Some of the battles become very chaotic with boats colliding while evading torps and incoming fire. Name of the game I think and it will take me time to improve.  I have had a couple of no-hitters, one where I did an evade to port, then boom. BB.  Not a shot fired.  Not letting it bother me too much and just move along to the next.

So; as suggested I have picked up my first US  tier II DD.  Drove it twice and it was a blast. So maneuverable and reload times for torp is quick.

That's all for now.  I am like a dog with a bone and wont give up.  No one dies out there.

Beta Testers
903 posts
8,366 battles

Play all the boats to get a better feel for how they interact with each other and the overall game.  Watch some tutorials if you find yourself under-performing.  Also, there is no need to rush to the end game, a lot of fun can be had in the low to mid tiers as well.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,842 posts
30,530 battles

Save it.

High tiers are incredibly expensive for both the entry (buying ships, modules, etc), as well as staying there (consumables, resupply).

For doubloons, you mostly want to save it for ships.

WG gives away exp camos every so often, so there's no need to spend doubloons on those. and the other camos can be bought with credits.

And finally, with free exp, there's Missouri, which costs 750k, so you might want to start saving now.

This is the best advice so far, save it you will need it later in game.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles

If you see smoke, there is most likely a DD sitting in it.  That is where those mystery shots come from.  Any BB that shoots you can usually be seen unless he's sitting behind smoke or an island and has another ship spotting for him.  DDs can often remain hidden until they fire a shot.  Their torps will appear all of a sudden even though you never saw them.

Try to never give a broadside shot to any ship, especially a BB.  You will get punished badly.  Stay more bow on and angled to most ships.  Most of the time it is beneficial to only use front guns while providing a smaller profile for the enemy ship while going towards it and the rear guns when moving away from it.  BBs will hammer you even from bow on though, so you will need to change direction and speed often to confuse the aim.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

This. In the very early game, you're awarded quite a bit of credits from your account level going up (12 million total from what I can see), while ships at those low tiers cost nothing and award you much more credits than it costs to maintain them. It's a harsh reality check when you get to the higher tiers and feel like you have to sell your body for new ships.

needlenoses4, welcome to the game! Here is the wiki for the game with loads of info: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

I also recommend watching some of iChase's Captain's Academy videos as they are great resources for new players. Notably the aiming one:

Both research and practice will help a lot in here. Ignore the doom and gloom you sometimes see in these forums. This is a VERY enjoyable game, especially if you're a naval history buff. The devs are very responsive and update the game very frequently compared to most online games.

I hope you have fun!