Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Alex

Duca D'Aosta's torpedo range, much better than IJN mid-tier torpedo?

22 comments in this topic

[-JEDI]
Alpha Tester
2,667 posts
8,151 battles

Has anyone noticed that Duca D'Aosta has at least 2x the range than IJN torpedo at mid tiers?

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,405 battles

They're also slow, and there are only three of them per side. I call balance. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

No, ducky has 12km vs 10km. And Cruisers are often on par or better in torpedo numbers than the destroyers. See any IJN CA besides Zao for reference. This is balanced by spotting range, Atago has double Kagero's torpedos but almost double the detection range.

[TCAL]
Members
1,227 posts
12,840 battles

Historically, the only navy with better torps than the Italians was the IJN. - 12 km (slow and easily spotted vs 20 km and damn near invisible).

Members
171 posts
3,881 battles

Historically, the only navy with better torps than the Italians was the IJN. - 12 km (slow and easily spotted vs 20 km and damn near invisible).

I coulda sworn that the 20km IJN fish could be seen from Mars. I'm pretty sure that those 20km torps are the easiest to dodge in the game.
  • Cool 1

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

My only experience with Spaghetti torpedoes so far is getting hit by ones that some idiot launched 10km away into the center of a friendly formation.

[PUSHD]
Members
200 posts
21,961 battles

Yes the 20km Shimakaze torps are detected at 2.5km. If they hit you, you were really asking for it. Duca D'Aosta's 12km torpedoes are actually quite stealthy but slow. I believe they are detected somewhere just a touch north of 1km.

Edited by chs4000

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,405 battles

I coulda sworn that the 20km IJN fish could be seen from Mars. I'm pretty sure that those 20km torps are the easiest to dodge in the game.

Historically, aka in real life. The IJN oxygen powered torpedoes were a frightening and very real threat to sailors during WWII in the pacific theater, and were extremely difficult to spot—Something not reflected in game.  

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

Has anyone noticed that Duca D'Aosta has at least 2x the range than IJN torpedo at mid tiers?

They're worse than Sims's sea mines, honestly, because there's only 3 of them per side. If you get hit by a Duca torp at range, it's your own damn fault. Lol.

[SOUP]
Members
9,386 posts

Historically, aka in real life. The IJN oxygen powered torpedoes were a frightening and very real threat to sailors during WWII in the pacific theater, and were extremely difficult to spot—Something not reflected in game.  

They didn't leave bubble trails like other types. Fantastic lil fishes

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

They're worse than Sims's sea mines, honestly, because there's only 3 of them per side. If you get hit by a Duca torp at range, it's your own damn fault. Lol.

I managed to kill a DD with mine. No smoke, just launched where I thought he was spotting me from, turned tail and started to pull away. Lone behold devastating strike lmbo. I felt bad but I didn't at the same time. zero excuse for a DD to hit it

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,112 posts
30,874 battles

People shouldn't bring up historical accuracy regarding torpedoes.

If they were "accurate" as per history, getting hit on the torpedo tubes should give the ship a chance to be detonated or suffer catastrophic damage.

See:  IJN Chokai

Even one of the early theories for Hood's catastrophic fate was a hit to her torp tubes.

If this were so, it'd be a tradeoff having the extra attack power of torpedoes for greatly decreased survival, something the US Navy actually willingly gave up on.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

I managed to kill a DD with mine. No smoke, just launched where I thought he was spotting me from, turned tail and started to pull away. Lone behold devastating strike lmbo. I felt bad but I didn't at the same time. zero excuse for a DD to hit it

I rest my case. xD

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,405 battles

People shouldn't bring up historical accuracy regarding torpedoes.

If they were "accurate" as per history, getting hit on the torpedo tubes should give the ship a chance to be detonated or suffer catastrophic damage.

See:  IJN Chokai

Even one of the early theories for Hood's catastrophic fate was a hit to her torp tubes.

If this were so, it'd be a tradeoff having the extra attack power of torpedoes for greatly decreased survival, something the US Navy actually willingly gave up on.

I was just responding to that other comment, clarifying things. Don't shoot the messenger...please. Getting shot hurts. Or so I've heard. 

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

They're long ranged, but slow... Their strength is the detection range, exactly 1 km, giving your target very little time to react, less than much faster torpedoes. Even though her old torpedoes were 66 knots, their extra .4 km (1.4 km was their stealth) of detectability actually meant you had more reaction time against them.

7.42 seconds of reaction time normally, but with the torpedo acceleration skill the target only has 6.75 seconds to react.

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

Duca d'Aosta's torpedoes are deceptively good.  1km detection range, so if you wanted to use Torpedo Acceleration it gives people very little time to dodge.  Another benefit to 1km detection is there's less chance of accidental spotting of the torps by other foes nearby.  The torpedoes travel 12km and are 51 knots in speed, so at a tier where most torpedoes go 60 knots or so means people sometimes forget the threat since they travel for a long time in the water.  I've found them to be notably useful for shooting into smokescreens, since you can basically torpedo-snipe at long-distance and stay unnoticed by whoever is camping in the smoke.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

They're also slow, and there are only three of them per side. I call balance. 

But they have insanely-low detection range.  IIRC her fish have among the lowest reaction times at T6, and that's before TA.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

Slow torpedoes delivered in a comparatively small salvo. Yes, they have good range, but that doesn't mean that they're better than IJN torpedoes.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I've surprised a few people in smoke with them. I don't think they are expected from so far out, or so late.

those things are lethal in smoke, people just never see them coming, especially DDs bc they have no hydro

Sign in to follow this