You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SaltyRat

USS Missouri

7 comments in this topic

[WKY17]
Members
308 posts
23,290 battles

Not sure if this has been shared or not but I just found it and was pleased by the details and commentaries. I always find these documentaries where they find the people that actually served on the ship in this case and the amazing stories they have to share. Some of the documentaries I have watched just tell you about things that went on and in this one they have actual video documentation of the crew procedure for loading one of the big guns and it gives an appreciation for why it takes so long for these BBs to reload. I also found it interesting to learn that there was very little sound for the guys in behind the big barrels when they discharged. Interesting stories and gives some life to this awesome ship that we enjoy in the game.

I have seen documentaries of the surrender ceremony but this one tops them all with the details that one of the crew gave. Very moving to say the least!

Edited by SaltyRat
  • Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
2,002 posts
26,510 battles

Served aboard the New Jersey as a midshipman during the 80s. Even after the modernization, the 16 inch gun loading process was just the same.  Got to experience the firing of the guns a few times, both from inside the turret and up as a lookout.  Impressive as hell.  Well worth the time to tour the Missouri if you are  in Hawaii 

[WKY17]
Members
308 posts
23,290 battles

Served aboard the New Jersey as a midshipman during the 80s. Even after the modernization, the 16 inch gun loading process was just the same.  Got to experience the firing of the guns a few times, both from inside the turret and up as a lookout.  Impressive as hell.  Well worth the time to tour the Missouri if you are  in Hawaii 

Was that your take on the noise as well? Did you hear the guns go off? I am hoping to get to Hawaii this fall and that is number one on my bucket list to check out.

[RCNW3]
Members
2,002 posts
26,510 battles

Was that your take on the noise as well? Did you hear the guns go off? I am hoping to get to Hawaii this fall and that is number one on my bucket list to check out.

It was still loud in the turret, had ear plugs of course, but just the power of the blast, moved that turret - which weighed as much as a smaller ship, quite a bit - when outside the heat flash you would feel was pretty impressive also (as well as the sound)

Edited by Panzer1113

[WKY17]
Members
308 posts
23,290 battles

It was still loud in the turret, had ear plugs of course, but just the power of the blast, moved that turret - which weighed as much as a smaller ship, quite a bit - when outside the heat flash you would feel was pretty impressive also (as well as the sound)

I can imagine what an impressive feeling it must have been to wield that sort of power and feel it going off!

[RCNW3]
Members
2,002 posts
26,510 battles

I can imagine what an impressive feeling it must have been to wield that sort of power and feel it going off!

As an 18 year old kid, they were "wow" moments - still strong in my memory today...