You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

Warships in Fiction - Spot anything shiny?

21 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Members
9,386 posts

So I was just watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and noted that a familiar face seems to still be afloat as of the year 2030.
Anyone else see a note-worthy warship appear in media? Especially in the future?

vlcsnap_2017_04_27_17h05m30s741_by_chobi

[SOUP]
Members
9,386 posts

EASTER EEEEEGG

I wouldn't call it an easter egg, more a fact of geography. It still surprises me that it's still there that far into the future.

Members
199 posts
2,045 battles

Arpeggio has the Mikasa plus all the Fog ships, but everyone here knows that.

As for famous ships in fiction, movies or books, the 1980 film The Final Countdown​, the Zipang manga and anime, the Axis of Time​ trilogy, the Destroyermen ​book series, the ​Emperor's Men​ book series, the Kirov​ book series, S. M. Stirling's Nantucket​ series.

Most of those involve ships of similar classes to famous ships, thrown backwards or forwards in time. 

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

USS Pueblo

EDIT:  Don't recall the city name, won't cheat and google it.

Edited by crzyhawk

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Name that ship and name that city--and win a Tier 1 "Research Ship"!

USS Pueblo, and that is none other than the DPRK's glorious capital of Pyongyang.

• Cool 1

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

USS Pueblo, and that is none other than the DPRK's glorious capital of Pyongyang.

Well no ship alas, but I'd give you karma points if I could. Here's a +1.

[SOUP]
Members
9,386 posts

It was mentioned once in Archer, I think. Pyongyang isn't too bad of a city, it gets a poor rep but it's by no means a pile of dirt. DPRK sure does make a lot out of nothing.

[TCAL]
Members
1,227 posts
12,840 battles

S.M. Stirling has written 3 novels , starting with Island in the Sea of Time, that have the island of Nantucket, along with the United States Coast Guard cutter Eagle (the sail training ship), sent back in time to about 1250 BC.

[SOUP]
Members
9,386 posts

S.M. Stirling has written 3 novels , starting with Island in the Sea of Time, that have the island of Nantucket, along with the United States Coast Guard cutter Eagle (the sail training ship), sent back in time to about 1250 BC.

Oh oh! I know that one!

Fun fact, The Eagle was originally a Kriegsmarine training ship, taken at the end of the war. The figurehead is still a Reichsadler, they just swapped the swastika with the US Coast Guard emblem

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

Oh oh! I know that one!

Fun fact, The Eagle was originally a Kriegsmarine training ship, taken at the end of the war. The figurehead is still a Reichsadler, they just swapped the swastika with the US Coast Guard emblem

I have a book written by a former German sailor of the Eagle (was the Horst Wessel then), knew him in person too he still visits the ship in New London often.

Book if anyone is interested

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Lady-Tido-Holtkamp/dp/0979594928

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

As for famous ships in fiction, movies or books, the 1980 film The Final Countdown​, the Zipang manga and anime, the Axis of Time​ trilogy, the Destroyermen ​book series, the ​Emperor's Men​ book series, the Kirov​ book series, S. M. Stirling's Nantucket​ series.

Love that type of alternate history.  I've watched/read all of the first four mentioned here, and have been meaning to get into Nantucket.

Haven't heard of the Kirov or Emperor's Men series until now, but they also sound promising.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,911 battles

They blew up a missile-ladden Tirpitz in Wolfestein (2009).

Mighty Mo also fought against aliens in Battleship :P.

[VOP]
Members
420 posts
4,533 battles

Hey!   here is my two bits...   Cutty Sark.....    She makes a noticeable appearance in S.M. Strilinging's  follow up series (Dies the Fire).

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,882 posts
2,681 battles

They blew up a missile-ladden Tirpitz in Wolfestein (2009).

Mighty Mo also fought against aliens in Battleship :P.

...I... what... the hell did I just watch?  That's... that's not how anchors actually work...

[SOUP]
Members
9,386 posts

...I... what... the hell did I just watch?  That's... that's not how anchors actually work...

Yeah, when I first saw that scene, I gave up watching.   Later I came back and reviewed it and came up with the following flaws in physics and logic:
  • The anchor would have had to catch on something heavier than the Missouri to bring it to such an abrupt stop.
  • The anchor chain and the anchor itself would not have survived the sudden impact of a few tens of thousands of tons of warship suddenly yanking on it. Anchors are meant to keep a ship from drifting
  • Assuming the anchor and chain survived this first step, the ship wouldn't have been swung around, it would have nosed straight down as the anchor was behind the ship. To make such a maneuver it would have had to place the pivot point (anchor) further out to the side. Although in theory it still would have pulled the ship to that side, the bow or anchor mounts would have been ripped off way before this could happen.
  • Now you have 58,000 tons of ship being thrown around. The whole ship would have buckled under the weight, these things aren't flexible. At best you would have caused severe structural damage to the frame and keel. At worst, you'd be starring in a remake of The Finest Hours.

A ship the size and weight of Missouri would never be able to pull this off...

However.......

Something similar to this was achieved at the Battle of Rabaul by the seaplane tender Akitsushima. Rather than raising her anchor while under attack by aircraft, she instead gunned the throttle, swung her rudder around, cranked up the eurobeats and used her anchor as a pivot point to avoid the attack.

However this only really worked as she only 5000 tons and she had already drifted slightly so the anchor was not behind or below the ship, but off to the side

Edited by Chobittsu