You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

La Galissonniere is not La Galissonniere

42 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

Boy has it been a while since I've done one of these!

Edit: The names of the ships in-game are not necessarily linked directly to the ship that is modeled after, instead it is simply the name of the class that is being represented. While not always the case, there are some ships in this game that are not actually rendered after the lead ship in their class. This thread will detail why La Galissonniere is one of them.

The other night I realized that the La Gal we have in game could not have been the actual La Gal because the real thing was sunk in 1942, so she didn't receive the rebuilt superstructure that her surviving sisters did and that our La Gal in-game has (La Gal's bridge was, more or less, identical to the one we have on Emile Bertin)

The picture below is of the Marseillaise who was also scuttled in 1942, so, visually, she is identical to La Gal. Jean de Vienne was also scuttled in 1942 so that rules out 3 of the 6 La Gal class cruisers. Leaving only Georges Leyguess, Gloire, and Montcalm.

6wf9GRA.jpg

Notice also that these ships still had their aircraft handling facilities which are not present on our La Gal in-game.

So, I began to look at the remaining 3 with a fine-toothed comb to find out which one of the was our ship in-game.

I was easily able to rule out Gloire because her navigational bridge was elongated during her refit in the Sates. Our ship does not have an elongated navigational bridge.

TqVBRjU.jpg

Next, I looked at Georges Leyguess, and seeing that her AA battery and it's placement was identical to our's in-game, I was, at first, convinced that this was our ship. However, upon further inspection, I noticed that the large windows in front of her armored bridge had been plated over. These windows are not plated over on our ship so it cannot be Georges Leyguess.

hCXxq75.jpg

That leaves Montcalm. And lo and behold her windows are not plated over and her superstructure matches ours perfectly!

5apOXO9.jpg

And just to seal the deal, her AA battery also matches ours perfectly! (Though, the rivet counter in me is wondering why we do not have motor boats behind the C/3 turret like the real thing did :look:)

Oyifzbu.jpg

hutwWnZ.png?1

So, there you have it. Our La Galissonniere is actually Montcalm! Unfortunately, our La Gal's stock hull is simply a copy-paste of the B hull but with different AA guns.... so it's unhistorical. We could very well have had the actual La Galissonniere represented as the A hull in-game, but methinks that WG didn't want you to have access to a float-fighter with the A-hull and then take it away on the B hull... which makes sense I guess.

Anyways now you know! :honoring:

EDIT: I'M NOT COMPLAINING THAT OUR LA GALISSONNIERE IS ACTUALLY MONTCALM, PEOPLE! I JUST THOUGH YOU MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW. A LITTLE "FUN FACT" IF YOU WILL.

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 8

Members
2,136 posts
5,712 battles

We could very well have had the actual La Galissonniere represented as the A hull in-game, but methinks that WG didn't want you to have access to a float-fighter with the A-hull and then take it away on the B hull... which makes sense I guess.

The Kirov A to B hull transition does drop the spotter, so idk.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

The Kirov A to B hull transition does drop the spotter, so idk.

​Interesting :hmm:

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

There are a lot of ships like that.  Pensacola is Salt Lake City, Kongo is Hiei...the ships are representatives of the class.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,029 posts
23,838 battles

Dsee, it's clear at this juncture they do not care... otherwise Kongo wouldn't be Hiei. 

Nice to know others still remember that Kongo isn't ingame! :trollface:

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Dsee, it's clear at this juncture they do not care... otherwise Kongo wouldn't be Hiei. 

Kongo is only Hiei because Hiei was sunk in 1942 and therefore has an appropriate AA battery for a tier 5 battleship. Though, I still would have preferred Kirishima (also sunk in 42). Though, the appearance of the 1945 battleships Texas at tier 5 makes me wonder if a Kongo-44 is so much of a stretch anymore? :hmm:

You miss the point, I'm not complaining that La Gal is Montcalm in-game, I'm perfectly fine with it, I just thought that others might like to know that our La Gal is Montcalm as well. It would be rude to withhold such a nugget of information from the community.

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 2

[-KIA-]
Members
5,187 posts
13,137 battles

I mean, Iowa B and C in-game is actually Wisconsin, so not all ships are actually their real-life counterparts.  Some are modeled after ships of the class.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,401 posts

La Galissonniere-class. Tech tree ships are not individual or specific ships. They embody the class as a whole. :hiding:

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

There are a lot of ships like that.  Pensacola is Salt Lake City, Kongo is Hiei...the ships are representatives of the class.

Kuma is Tama, Iowa is Wisconsin, Karlsruhe is Dresden II, Konigsberg's A hull is Koln, Lexington is Saratoga... the list goes on.

[POTA]
[POTA]
Members
112 posts
4,586 battles

Do you think it's a balancing issue? Like for example the Hiei having inferior aa to some of the other Kongos. Or do you think they just use the ship with the most documentation, pictures, etc?

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,401 posts

La Galissonniere-class. Tech tree ships are not individual or specific ships. They embody the class as a whole. :hiding:

Do you think it's a balancing issue? Like for example the Hiei having inferior aa to some of the other Kongos. Or do you think they just use the ship with the most documentation, pictures, etc?

The latter.

• Cool 1

Supertester, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
11,426 posts
1,963 battles

Kuma is Tama, Iowa is Wisconsin, Karlsruhe is Dresden II, Konigsberg's A hull is Koln, Lexington is Saratoga... the list goes on.

Tenryuu is Tatsuta, Edinburgh is Belfast, etc. 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I'd say it's a balancing issue (The Kongo is Hiei debacle is a good reference point on this) but WG has shown that they will make up their own AA batteries for "balance"... so I don't know what it is.

When we first found out that Kongo was Hiei we all joked that WG went with Hiei because her pagoda was built using the blueprints for Yamato and was, therefore, mutch easier to model than the Jenga tower that is... well... any of the other Kongo class battleships. Also, we joked that they couldn't do any more complex pagodas because the poor chap we modeled the Fuso's died soon after its completion due to exhaustion. :teethhappy:

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 3

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Kongo is only Hiei because Hiei was sunk in 1942 and therefore has an appropriate AA battery for a tier 5 battleship. Though, I still would have preferred Kirishima (also sunk in 42). Though, the appearance of the 1945 battleships Texas at tier 5 makes me wonder if a Kongo-44 is so much of a stretch anymore? :hmm:

You miss the point, I'm not complaining that La Gal is Montcalm in-game, I'm perfectly fine with it, I just thought that others might like to know that our La Gal is Montcalm as well. It would be rude to withhold such a nugget of information from the community.

I hope that someday we'll get a Kongo with full AA. That would make me rather happy. 
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I hope that someday we'll get a Kongo with full AA. That would make me rather happy. 

Back during closed beta days there was a suggestion in a dev Q&A that a good idea for a premium ship would be the demilitarized 1929 Hiei. The dev actually replied to the suggestion saying that it was an interesting idea and that they would "look into it". Haven't heard anything since... probably because balancing a Kongo with no secondary guns, no armor and only 6x14" guns would be a nightmare at any tier. :rolleyes:

Still, a non-anime Kongo class premium would be nice at some point. Fingers crossed!

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

Nice research.

And as a Canucklehead, I shall adopt this ship for its national relevance. 

[NDA]
Supertester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

We could very well have had the actual La Galissonniere represented as the A hull in-game, but methinks that WG didn't want you to have access to a float-fighter with the A-hull and then take it away on the B hull... which makes sense I guess.

There's also the game engine issue with catapults on turrets that's been around forever...  reason why Wyoming, New York, Texas, etc don't have their planes either.

La Gali's catapult on top of turret #3 like the picture shows.

Edited by Jinxed_Katajainen
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

There's also the game engine issue with catapults on turrets that's been around forever...  reason why Wyoming, New York, Texas, etc don't have their planes either.

La Gali's catapult on top of turret #3 like the picture shows.

​Good point.

Members
848 posts
5,934 battles

Back during closed beta days there was a suggestion in a dev Q&A that a good idea for a premium ship would be the demilitarized 1929 Hiei. The dev actually replied to the suggestion saying that it was an interesting idea and that they would "look into it". Haven't heard anything since... probably because balancing a Kongo with no secondary guns, no armor and only 6x14" guns would be a nightmare at any tier. :rolleyes:

Still, a non-anime Kongo class premium would be nice at some point. Fingers crossed!

A ship with 6x14"' no armour or secondaries? Sounds suspiciously like Myogi...

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

A ship with 6x14"' no armour or secondaries? Sounds suspiciously like Myogi...

Oh! So they did implement it after all! Just.. backwards... and not as a premium ship.

Sneaky little buggers! :rolleyes:

Edited by dseehafer