Urandas

Bringing Kitakami back

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

33 posts in this topic

The Kitakami used to be the tier 8 japanese premium cruiser back in beta before being replaced by the Atago. She wasnt a very good ship back in beta but boasted the fact she had 40 torpedo launchers on board. However WG replaced her for reasons probably including she was too much of a one trick pony and really couldnt hold her own. However what if WG wanted to bring her back somehow into the game?

I would suggest a tier 6 version with a modified torpedo system. Kitakami had 5 quadruple launchers per side so we could imitate this by only allowing her to launcher 1 set of 4 at a time. However her torpedo reload would be 1/5 the usual reload time. This would allow her to have a lot of torps per minute but very few torpedoes per salvo in the water.

Their last communication about KitKat was "We are looking for a way to award her to skilled players without angering the playerbase". 

They've flip flopped between "Yes someday" and "No never" a dozen times in the past year and change though, so who knows. 

The Kitakami used to be the tier 8 japanese premium cruiser back in beta before being replaced by the Atago. She wasnt a very good ship back in beta but boasted the fact she had 40 torpedo launchers on board. However WG replaced her for reasons probably including she was too much of a one trick pony and really couldnt hold her own. However what if WG wanted to bring her back somehow into the game?

I would suggest a tier 6 version with a modified torpedo system. Kitakami had 5 quadruple launchers per side so we could imitate this by only allowing her to launcher 1 set of 4 at a time. However her torpedo reload would be 1/5 the usual reload time. This would allow her to have a lot of torps per minute but very few torpedoes per salvo in the water.

So, you want to nerf the heck out of an OP ship? You realize the reason players ask for this ship is because of it's absurd torp spamming capability...right?:amazed:

Did you even bother to search for discussions on this before you posted?

well, t8+ reduces the effectiveness of torp spamming, and now that radar is more common, the Kitakami wouldn't last long within 10km of enemy ships. I don't think I'd mind it if it was awarded to others and only had 10km torps. It would be persecuted faster and more harshly than a visible Minotaur.

Posted (edited) · Report post

the only thing more unnerving than seeing a Kitakami on the enemy team,

is seeing one on yours. (quote attributable to any one of a thousand player/victims of this ship)

this ship is a team-killing nightmare, especially for noob players who think they have absolutely no responsibility to look out for themselves

I honestly believe this ship may have killed more friendly ships than it did enemy ones

(wanna watch the BB crowd have a cow; give one to TenguBlade and one to UrPeacekeeper)

the ship itself is horribly unbalanced (designed that way, NOT WoW's fault);

a tier 4 cruiser done up to be a torp monster, crap armor AND performance AND detection

this ship should be enshrined in the WoW hall of fame as a living example of the principle that some ships do NOT belong in the game

Edited by Umikami

Posted (edited) · Report post

She is impossible to balance and will always be either extremely over powered or extremely under powered. Much like the Maginot Line being the perfect solution to WWI trench warfare it was the perfect solution for Japanese torpedo warfare in daytime battleship engagements, something that died on December 7, 1941.

Edited by BrushWolf

So, you want to nerf the heck out of an OP ship? You realize the reason players ask for this ship is because of it's absurd torp spamming capability...right?:amazed:

Did you even bother to search for discussions on this before you posted?

If you bothered reading the discussions on Kitakami yourself, you would have known that the ship was nearly useless: not overpowered. WG tried to buff the ship by giving it a smokescreen.

Okay, let me phrase it this way - You want to give her a higher torp per minute at tier 6, or just bring her back at tier 8 as was. You want to bring this ship back with 40 tubes of torpedoes, when the game is PLAGUED, by people incapable of using 2 twin launchers without hitting a teammate, or forcing them on a course that gets them deleted by enemy fire. FORTY. That monstrosity wasn't just removed for it's broadside against the enemy, it was what it did to it's own team. If it weren't graphic I'd link gifs/clips from Braveheart or Game of Thrones when they have the archers firing into both sides killing their guys and the enemy. Because thats that wit was like having that thing in game.

To quote Mark Hamill's Joker - "And they call me crazy".

Just put the ship in game as a premium T4 Kuma, as built, and be done with it so people stop asking.

Just put the ship in game as a premium T4 Kuma, as built, and be done with it so people stop asking.

Yeah, if it was just a premium equivalent of the Derski - t3 or t4, with really short range and/or slow torps (5km?), then it wouldn't change anything.

I'd like to see the Kitakami back, but it should be a one time thing like the original Kamikaze R event - not impossible to complete, but hard enough that average Joe's aren't gonna be spamming it en masse, like the ARP ships. Give it away once in a blue moon. That thing would be a terror in T10 matches, Yamatos and Kurrys would have no chance of dodging 20+ torpedoes.

Edited by SgtSullyC3

Yeah, if it was just a premium equivalent of the Derski - t3 or t4, with really short range and/or slow torps (5km?), then it wouldn't change anything.

No, he said as built. So, just a clone of Kuma.

doesnt that many torps really kill fps when they are in the water? having 3 ships each side would freeze many toons

doesnt that many torps really kill fps when they are in the water? having 3 ships each side would freeze many toons

It was pretty stable back in CBT with that many torps.

My relatively-bleh laptop handled a triple Kitakami division's worth of 120 torpedoes pretty well (was back when I ran into AlsoRobots and a couple of his buddies testing them).  Granted, it was because the torps were spotted on launch (thus 4 at a time) and not all suddenly rendering at once, but apparently handling that many on the screen isn't an issue.  What always slows my machine down is getting them to render in the first place.  I'd imagine it's not a very-different story for most people since I'm running no mods related to torpedoes.

Edited by TenguBlade

A lot of players would like to buy it by the way. Profits time WG? :P

A lot of players would like to buy it by the way. Profits time WG? :P

This is the reason I'm undecided about it coming back. If the Kitakami were sold, there would be a Kitapocalypse even greater than the Great Tirpocalypse. Imagine. A twelve cruiser game, six per team, and ten of those are Kitakamis. 400 torpedoes. Plus destroyer torpedoes. That would be gamebreaking.

This is the reason I'm undecided about it coming back. If the Kitakami were sold, there would be a Kitapocalypse even greater than the Great Tirpocalypse. Imagine. A twelve cruiser game, six per team, and ten of those are Kitakamis. 400 torpedoes. Plus destroyer torpedoes. That would be gamebreaking.

I would want it back just for this.... over 400 torps in the water, imagine the torpedo beats.

That would put challenge in the game :P

I don't think it would be quite like that. It's really not a very good ship.

10km torps and it only have 25000 hp or so- and it isn't like it has especially amazing concealment- which should be only just under 10km with CE (based upon Kuma and Iwaki A). We now have things like radar and german hydro, and players are (believe it or not) much better at the game on average. It's the last ship I'd want on my team not because I'm worried about teamkilling, but because it's a deadweight ship with no HP, no armor, bad concealment and gimmick firepower that will get it primaried instantly.

Nevermind getting uptiered- there are countless lower tier cruisers that will wipe the floor with a Kitikami.

Well it still IJN torpedo with [edited]concealment. With the amount of personnal aircraft, Aircraft carrier, Hydro and Vigilence it will be an easy way to farm spot point. But might be fun though

it would not matter if the brought back the kitakami back or not since they nerfed the torp range and speeds to the degree that they have.. at one time the torp wall was impressive and fun but between noob players and all these players who lack situational awareness the captain of the kita would be labeled a TKer.  The game has become too CQC with torps instead of the long range they used to have.. 

you mean Kitakami players who lack situational awareness and shoot torps that they shouldn't.

A tk is always the shooter's fault.