Zeus_cat

Foul language in chat - seems to be getting worse

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

126 posts in this topic

It's about standards, decency, and self-control, not morality. It's true that people are free to behave like animals - to an extent, at least. It's only sad that that's what they decide to do. Of course, it will always be more pleasant to spend time with and more generally be in the presence of those who choose to behave decently.

Who's standard of decency are we adhering too now?  If your an Australian or New Zealander punctuating with profanities is a social norm, and probably just means we like you.

In my part of the world "F you mate" can be a friendly greeting among friends.  In fact, unless we're getting punchy we're probably in a great mood.

And then there's the Scots...the F word is a cultural right for the Scottish, you're being culturally insensitive if you suppress a Scot from saying F$#% and C#$%.

Edited by Veasel

Who's standard of decency are we adhering too now?  If your an Australian or New Zealander punctuating with profanities is a social norm, and probably just means we like you.

And then there's the Scots...the F word is a cultural right for the Scottish, you're being culturally insensitive if you suppress a Scot from saying F$#% and C#$%.

It's a shame that they're so intellectually poor that they no longer attribute meaning to words.

Also, I've met a lot of Australians and New Zealanders and none of them cursed much.

ROFL I will say whatever I feel like saying thank you and I guess so can you so stfu and grow man like skin not the wet tissue paper you currently cover yourself with ok

Actually no you can not type what you feel like saying without consequences. Do it enough and the consequences get heavier. This is a privately owned server, the game is privately owned, so they, the private owners, set the rules. If they wanted to smack us down for using the phrase "Black sheep" they can - and there's nothing you nor I can do about it. 

I just played a round over on WoT to get my 3 days premium for freebies. Used to be very nasty over there. This time nobody said a thing in chat - nothing. If they are willing to smack down their WoT players that much, they'd have no qualms over doing the same here. 

No, your upbringing and mentality has made you sensitive. Nature is the environment around in a physical sense, not a moral sense.

Much like how you can't blame allergies on your mental state. Nature is physical, your problem is mental, and can be changed.

If you don't want to be so sensitive, work on it yourself, it'll be easier than trying to change 7+ billion people

I've been sensitive for as long as I can remember. I'm naturally inclined in that direction. Some individuals are more sensitive than others, and to believe otherwise is absurd.

It's a shame that they're so intellectually poor that they no longer attribute meaning to words.

Also, I've met a lot of Australians and New Zealanders and none of them cursed much.

Actually I have some Aussie friends myself; they're so squeaky clean in their language it's almost too clean! ;-) I pale in comparison. 

Actually I have some Aussie friends myself; they're so squeaky clean in their language it's almost too clean! ;-) I pale in comparison. 

That's been my experience with New Zealanders. I get the impression that it's a really decent place, since everyone I've met from there seems to have been brought up so well. I know it's a really small "sample size," but it's only an impression.

Vulgar language online doesn't bother me.

People who end their sentences with a preposition, now that crapreally gets on my nerves!  I don't know where they be gettin' that at!

I've been sensitive for as long as I can remember. I'm naturally inclined in that direction. Some individuals are more sensitive than others, and to believe otherwise is absurd.

Then start making personal changes. It's really not that hard, and doesn't require any alternative methods  ;P

Though medication can help if it's a chemical imbalance of some kind, you should seek a psychiatrist and/or the advice of your physician or family doctor

We're smart enough to adjust our language when we travel, and when speaking to Americans in general.   Visiting the Antipodes however is a different experience, and if you ever visit Glasgow...

I use the F word frequently at work and no one bats an eyelid, I work in IT - it's a blue collar formal office.  Swearing is not necessarily a profanity in many cultures.

Edited by Veasel

People who end their sentences with a preposition, now that crapreally gets on my nerves!  I don't know where they be gettin' that at!

<smirk>  well played sir :)

M

Then start making personal changes. It's really not that hard, and doesn't require any alternative methods  ;P

Though medication can help if it's a chemical imbalance of some kind, you should seek a psychiatrist and/or the advice of your physician or family doctor

You've provided me with some entertainment. Thank you.

I don't need drugs for anything. Nature made me sensitive, but she also made me resilient.

We're smart enough to adjust our language when we travel.   Visiting the Antipodes however is a different experience, and if you ever visit Glasgow...

I use the F word frequently at work and no one bats an eyelid, I work in IT - it's a blue collar formal office.  Swearing is not necessarily a profanity in many cultures.

If it's not it's because the meanings of the words have been forgotten. Not literally, but the ideas behind the words have ceased to reach the mind. That doesn't change the fact that the ideas behind the words are indecent (at best).

why should someone else change to suit you when you could change to suit them?  You're advice could just as easily be adopted by you.

M

44TXwMx.gif

I think you picked the wrong Mark Twain Quote because Mark Twain never said that, it's actually based on a line from a Robert Heinlein book...

I think the one you were looking for is either  :-

Anger is an acid which does more harm to it's container than to anything on which it is poured.

or

A man's character may be learned from the adjectives he habitually uses in conversation.

M

Ah, i was looking for "Censorship is telling a man he cannot have a steak because a child cannot chew it" 

But, I have seen it wrongly attributed...

why should someone else change to suit you when you could change to suit them?  You're advice could just as easily be adopted by you.

Nothing would ever get done then. Plus I don't see you or Hiroe changing to benefit me, so once again, the logic is folded over, and we being a constant loop

If it's not it's because the meanings of the words have been forgotten. Not literally, but the ideas behind the words have ceased to reach the mind. That doesn't change the fact that the ideas behind the words are indecent (at best).

I disagree, we know perfectly well what we're saying, we just don't consider it indecent.

I suspect the best solution would be to provide an active, preemptive filter. If you prefer to be shall we say, "salty" then you could have a little flag you could check mark to indicate you are a salty chatter. 

Those who did not want to see salty language would enable the Salt Mine filter - which would prevent them from seeing any salt at all. 

Of course if you went salty without indicating you were  salty, there'd be penalties on top of that... see? <grin>

So what you end up with is WoT filter system - no cross team chat and punishments galore to where nobody speaks in chat anymore. 

I can just imagine vocal chat channels in a random game... phew

I worked IT for 15 to 20 years... using the F* word or others in that category would have resulted in an immediate dismissal. But I worked with middle and upper management on their financial systems. It might be okay for upper management to let one slip in private behind closed doors but god help you if you said anything anywhere others could hear it. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

Nothing would ever get done then. Plus I don't see you or Hiroe changing to benefit me, so once again, the logic is folded over, and we being a constant loop

why do you assume I need to change anything?  Are you assuming what side I am on in this debate?  Do you know me..  no  so shut the [edited]up!

M

So what you end up with is WoT filter system - no cross team chat and punishments galore to where nobody speaks in chat anymore. 

I can just imagine vocal chat channels in a random game... phew

This is why the issue needs to be dealt with. As it stands, WoWS for the most part is a very strong community compared to WoT. Out of 10 battles, you might get one with someone worth blocking or ignoring, the rest of the time you'll find generally friendly banter, chatting and overall regular gameplay.

Think of it like this: If the rotten apples continue to stew, you'll lose the whole batch to mold and disease. It's better in the long run to ditch the rotten apples, then you won't spoil the delicious pie.

why do you assume I need to change anything?  Are you assuming what side I am on in this debate?  Do you know me..  no  so shut the [edited]up!

Amazing that I have to use this again so soon

giphy.gif

I disagree, we know perfectly well what we're saying, we just don't consider it indecent.

Well, in my experience, people normally curse to seem "tough" or irreverent. It's a shame they can't do that with better words. It's also a shame that so few people have any meaningful standards.

Well, in my experience, people normally curse to seem "tough" or irreverent. It's a shame they can't do that with better words. It's also a shame that so few people have any meaningful standards.

Lemme count the times you used it in that one chat...

25 time, wow you must be such a manly man tough guy~<3

And folks have plenty of standards, such as the ones upheld by this forum and company.

The best way to go about it is to consider the rules on this forum as the absolute floor, then the only way you can go is up

Lemme count the times you used it in that one chat...

25 time, wow you must be such a manly man tough guy~<3

And folks have plenty of standards, such as the ones upheld by this forum and company.

The best way to go about it is to consider the rules on this forum as the absolute floor, then the only way you can go is up

I make an effort to show my "manly" side when I'm punishing someone who needs to be punished.

The rules here are broken all the time. They're broken as much as they can be broken (while avoiding a ban) by some. You've broken them lots of times in conversations with me. You don't seem to care about them at all.

I thought this [edited]game came with a filter, enabled by default too?

I make an effort to show my "manly" side when I'm punishing someone who needs to be punished.

Then you show your childish side, as punishment should handled by those in places of authority, not vigilantes