Zeus_cat

Foul language in chat - seems to be getting worse

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

126 posts in this topic

Yeah...

Because people that use foul language are immature and lack values.

Spare me the lecture, welcome to real life where people do not do/act as you want them to. I don't share whatever values about language that some of you do, I don't push my agenda on you please spare me yours.

Have an issue?

Write out a [edited]ticket....

I was taught vulgar language indicates an individuals word well has run dry. Lacking the necessary ammo, they load blanks. 

Exactly, it makes for a fine filler for when you need so enunciate a point, but when you just spam one profane comment after another at someone it becomes pretty clear that the aggressor has anything worthwhile to say and is simply just trying to make himself feel better by beating against a brick wall

Spare me the lecture

No lecture here, you can talk however you want, just keep in mind that there are standards set by WG we have to maintain.

Profanity and language are like powdered drink mix and water. You need water to live and sometimes it's fine to mix in something to give it that extra kick, but when you have only that drink mix your mouth will be dry, powdery and you'll have nothing to nourish yourself.

Just report and move on.  They will eventually learn, or they will become extremely familiar with chat bans.

It's a video game. On the internet. Deal with it.

And that's the attitude that leads to the situation devolving into pure anarchy. There is a reason that WG has rules and enforces them.

You wouldn't walk out into the street and start spouting foul tripe at a random stranger you haven't met, so why should the Internet be any different? Anonymity? Doesn't exist anymore. Anyone can find out anything about anyone if they simply dig deep enough. Digital actions can in extreme cases lead to physical consequences.

So why take any risk at all? Just so you can have a few moments of self-gratification by calling someone an [edited] or a [redacted]?

Wargaming set rules for their game and forum, this includes use of profanity. If you don't follow their rules, you get penalized, same as if you were to drop-kick an infant or illegally download a car. Why bother discussing it when it's clear that at no point in the future Wargaming will say "**** it, this is a game about ships, so go ahead and talk like sailors, cyka blyat rush B xaxaxa)))"

I thought there was a chat filter WG has for children and man babies. Tanks used to have it. WG stance used to be don't read chat if you can't handle the truth.

No lecture here, you can talk however you want, just keep in mind that there are standards set by WG we have to maintain

Just report and move on.  They will eventually learn, or they will become extremely familiar with chat bans.

Moderated by Volier_Zcit 

Wait for it.... Edited by Volier_Zcit

ROFL I will say whatever I feel like saying thank you and I guess so can you so stfu and grow man like skin not the wet tissue paper you currently cover yourself with ok

Moderated by Volier_Zcit 

Ohhh, this should be fun. :popcorn:

Edited by Volier_Zcit

Because kids don't use that kind of language, right?

Welcome to the internet, Zeus.

yea many kids now a days are not so innocent. i mean dear god the kids I've heard playing cod and so on. i mean it's not even the internets fault entirely either, music and t.v are just as bad and some parents just make me cringe with how the talk around there kids Edited by Blitzkrieger

I'm not in the mood for it.

Mood for what? You'll have to elaborate

And that's the attitude that leads to the situation devolving into pure anarchy. There is a reason that WG has rules and enforces them.

You wouldn't walk out into the street and start spouting foul tripe at a random stranger you haven't met, so why should the Internet be any different? Anonymity? Doesn't exist anymore. Anyone can find out anything about anyone if they simply dig deep enough. Digital actions can in extreme cases lead to physical consequences.

So why take any risk at all? Just so you can have a few moments of self-gratification by calling someone an [edited] or a [redacted]?

Wargaming set rules for their game and forum, this includes use of profanity. If you don't follow their rules, you get penalized, same as if you were to drop-kick an infant or illegally download a car. Why bother discussing it when it's clear that at no point in the future Wargaming will say "**** it, this is a game about ships, so go ahead and talk like sailors, cyka blyat rush B xaxaxa)))"

I just am indifferent to petty insults, and am capable of ignoring them. Like I said, this is a video game and the internet, not an experiment at a Utopian profanity-free internet. I simply don't care. If someone takes actions in real life over petty insults on the internet, that's their fault for being that emotionally unstable. I guess thick skin is a virtue these days. 

If I gave a s*** every time someone cussed at me on the internet, I would have gone insane within the first week of playing League of Legends.

Edited by goldeagle1123

My god I hope you never get a job at WG ok and risk of what exactly?? that people will know I am a jerk and use profanity???? Lots of people know this already don't bother me much at all

I bet if there was new branch in the justice system called word police you would be the first recruit right??

I don't mind the foul language but loathe the ignorant display of poor language skills and lack of vocabulary to express themselves. 

When you hear or read that kind of talk, you know you've arrived in the gutter.

It's true that one should expect it, but it can still be disappointing and very tiring. 

My god I hope you never get a job at WG ok and risk of what exactly?? that people will know I am a jerk and use profanity???? Lots of people know this already don't bother me much at all

I bet if there was new branch in the justice system called word police you would be the first recruit right??

You seem to be grasping at straws and trying to manipulate the discussion by implying that I'm a... what's an apt description... "goody two shoes teacher's pet" or something of the like? I'm simply following the rules that the administration has laid out. The fact of the matter is you have no authority to choose what rules to follow and which not to. Wargaming has selected what rules they operate on, and as a consumer of their product you are expected to follow those rules, unless you enjoy chat-bans.

If Wargaming were to offer me a job, I'd gladly take it. They're an excellent company that seems to treat it's employees well.

Mood for mashing the report button?

Probably, followed by "[uSER]'s opinion doesn't respect my opinion!"

Believe it or not, I don't really swear very much, either on the internets or in real life. Swearing has its place, and when the use of profanity is deemed as necessary, I have amassed quite the plethora of words to wield with élan and pizzazz. But when it comes down to it, they are all just words, oftentimes used flippantly but other times with great purpose and reason. However, because I don't drop f-bombs and other "obscenities" with every statement, then anyone who meets me will know that when I do break out the sentence-spices, then something somewhere has gone severely awry. That seems to be the norm with most relatively-mature adults, in my experience; polite as you please when stress is low and things are going well, angry and even sweary when tensions are high—whether they are winning or losing.

Taken as a whole, the above isn't all that remarkable. On the other hand, the devil is in the details; because these are just words, declared by some past moral authority to be vulgar, base, or otherwise taboo for whatever reason, they only have as much power as the listener gives them. Hence the mantra of "grow a thicker skin"—one of the hallmarks of maturity in humans—which is in essence an extension of the childhood rhyme about sticks and stones. It is an almost universal experience that most of the naughty words we know of, we learned before we hit puberty, and oftentimes we use them when we're younger as individual acts of minor rebellion, especially if we come from more strict upbringings. But humans are fairly emotional creatures, and swearing loudly does have a beneficial aspect: scientific studies have shown that belting out a hearty f-bomb—as opposed to some other random "ordinary" word—increases our ability to endure pain.

Once again, words are only as powerful as we let them be—this cannot be overstated. Just as the pen is mightier than the sword, the word processor mightier than the Tomahawk cruise missile, so too is the cutting jab more powerful than the mightiest battleship. With that in mind, I would posit that the act of trying to shelter oneself or others from words, and the power they can imbue, are doing a grave disservice to those they might wish to protect. The body's immune system protects it from disease, but it needs germs to practice on, so to speak. The mind is similar when it comes to ideas; if it is not exposed to varying opinions and schools of thought, it cannot grow strong and robust in its own views and conclusions. This is why I so vociferously advocate for freedom of speech and expression, because without exposure to contrary notions, hypotheses, theories and whatnot, the marketplace of ideas would atrophy and the collective wisdom of our species would stagnate and eventually die out.

This is one aspect of why the Internet is such a wonderful new frontier for interpersonal communication and the spreading of knowledge. Yes, it can be akin to the Wild West, but considering the fact that the primary ammunition of web warriors are words instead of bullets, the casualty rate is strikingly in its nonexistence. There are, of course, those who take things said on the Internet too far and bring such an impact over into other parts of life, but the same is true of any other means of communication. Before cyberbullies, there were telephone bullies, and before that, the more traditional in-your-face bullies, and the thing they all have in common is a basic lack of confidence (some would say cowardice). If one is not allowed to experience the world in all its glory and horror, then they are lesser-able to hold their own in the face of such bullies, and for that reason I will always oppose any attempts by anyone to impose some sort of morality upon language.

TL;DR version: If you don't want to be affected by words, ignore them. Fortunately, this game has tools to do just that.

People who have to melt down online have deeper issues IRL.

TBH there's not much more you could say or do to make their quality of life worse or better - they're going to be like that regardless.

Not trying to come off all holier than thou, but the fact is - the loser is always the one who loses his cool first, whether face to face, over the internet, or on a business bargaining table. You hand the initiative to the other person when you do that, it's such a disadvantage. But eh.. it exists to be exploited xD

in warships though, they aren't aiming or watching where they're going when they're busy being a keyboard commander....

Edited by SinisterSe7en

I have noticed that homophobic and racist comments do appear more easily in game chat. The "get a job" generation is also pretty active.

No idea where this would come from, and I certainly would not link it to any elections or political leader. Because that would just be fake fact

Believe it or not, I don't really swear very much, either on the internets or in real life. Swearing has its place, and when the use of profanity is deemed as necessary, I have amassed quite the plethora of words to wield with élan and pizzazz. But when it comes down to it, they are all just words, oftentimes used flippantly but other times with great purpose and reason. However, because I don't drop f-bombs and other "obscenities" with every statement, then anyone who meets me will know that when I do break out the sentence-spices, then something somewhere has gone severely awry. That seems to be the norm with most relatively-mature adults, in my experience; polite as you please when stress is low and things are going well, angry and even sweary when tensions are high—whether they are winning or losing.

Taken as a whole, the above isn't all that remarkable. On the other hand, the devil is in the details; because these are just words, declared by some past moral authority to be vulgar, base, or otherwise taboo for whatever reason, they only have as much power as the listener gives them. Hence the mantra of "grow a thicker skin"—one of the hallmarks of maturity in humans—which is in essence an extension of the childhood rhyme about sticks and stones. It is an almost universal experience that most of the naughty words we know of, we learned before we hit puberty, and oftentimes we use them when we're younger as individual acts of minor rebellion, especially if we come from more strict upbringings. But humans are fairly emotional creatures, and swearing loudly does have a beneficial aspect: scientific studies have shown that belting out a hearty f-bomb—as opposed to some other random "ordinary" word—increases our ability to endure pain.

Once again, words are only as powerful as we let them be—this cannot be overstated. Just as the pen is mightier than the sword, the word processor mightier than the Tomahawk cruise missile, so too is the cutting jab more powerful than the mightiest battleship. With that in mind, I would posit that the act of trying to shelter oneself or others from words, and the power they can imbue, are doing a grave disservice to those they might wish to protect. The body's immune system protects it from disease, but it needs germs to practice on, so to speak. The mind is similar when it comes to ideas; if it is not exposed to varying opinions and schools of thought, it cannot grow strong and robust in its own views and conclusions. This is why I so vociferously advocate for freedom of speech and expression, because without exposure to contrary notions, hypotheses, theories and whatnot, the marketplace of ideas would atrophy and the collective wisdom of our species would stagnate and eventually die out.

This is one aspect of why the Internet is such a wonderful new frontier for interpersonal communication and the spreading of knowledge. Yes, it can be akin to the Wild West, but considering the fact that the primary ammunition of web warriors are words instead of bullets, the casualty rate is strikingly in its nonexistence. There are, of course, those who take things said on the Internet too far and bring such an impact over into other parts of life, but the same is true of any other means of communication. Before cyberbullies, there were telephone bullies, and before that, the more traditional in-your-face bullies, and the thing they all have in common is a basic lack of confidence (some would say cowardice). If one is not allowed to experience the world in all its glory and horror, then they are lesser-able to hold their own in the face of such bullies, and for that reason I will always oppose any attempts by anyone to impose some sort of morality upon language.

TL;DR version: If you don't want to be affected by words, ignore them. Fortunately, this game has tools to do just that.

AzD7WFo.jpg

e50c7391b2cf1c406b89e28861686eae_a-consp

long-neck-reaction.jpg

115731-computer-reaction-faces.jpg~c200

gqF9VGN.gif