Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_kumicho_

im terrible in cruisers and DDs. wth.

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

14 posts in this topic

i flat out cant play DDs

I suck in cruisers, but... want to play these well... i just...

I like BBs, but.. they're kinda boring. i end up charging in to see some action.. most games do 'ok',

CVs are ok, just.. meh. mechanic needs work and so do the ships. I dont want to support a class i think needs a rework by playing it often.

So, im fairly new, i have played alot of games in the last couple weeks because i thought there was this mythical ship i NEEDed to get... but, i cant play enough good games to amass the required gold... so while i've played alot, im not getting that ship, clearly. Worse though, i've played MANY crappy games where i was an anchor to my team... and not in a good way. sigh

So, im a reasonable person, I know when I cant... whatever. So, I watched videos. LOTS of videos and many of them contradict each other on style for cruisers specifically. Many say they're a support ship and should stay in packs (ichase for example) and should shoot HE mostly (i prefer the IJN ships in general, but play axis ships.. thematically [yes, im a nerd, sorry]). So, I try to stay near a couple other ships, shoot over hills, lead targets pretty well, etc.. but heres what happens most games:

I end up on the 'weak' side, this side invariably gets overrun by red guys. I try to switch sides or in anticipation of the slaughtered side end up on the 'front' of the strong side. I get focused down in 3 seconds, Im back in port.

I've tried lots of times to wait for the game to develop a bit, but BBs dont go where i think they would, they dont 'tank'..  they hug the white line... so i wait and nothing happens for 5 minutes and i have hydro so i go help a DD spot something.. get focused down in 3 seconds, im back in port.

Can someone share the trick to cruisers according to the current meta? Most games the first guy seen is the first guy dead.. and most of the videos ive watched are from a time period that doesnt seem to fit the current game play.. and.. i cant seem to do what they do anyway.

thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, im a reasonable person, I know when I cant... whatever. So, I watched videos. LOTS of videos and many of them contradict each other on style for cruisers specifically. Many say they're a support ship and should stay in packs (ichase for example) and should shoot HE mostly (i prefer the IJN ships in general, but play axis ships.. thematically [yes, im a nerd, sorry]). So, I try to stay near a couple other ships, shoot over hills, lead targets pretty well, etc.. but heres what happens most games:

Can someone share the trick to cruisers according to the current meta? Most games the first guy seen is the first guy dead.. and most of the videos ive watched are from a time period that doesnt seem to fit the current game play.. and.. i cant seem to do what they do anyway.

thanks.

If you truly want to learn to play cruisers well, then just take your time as you go up lines.

Each cruiser has its own nuances that you need to learn in order to do well in. They also teach you things that will need to be carried up from the lower tiers. For example, the T5 Furutaka will teach you skills about heavy cruisers that you'll need to apply to Aoba, Myoko, Mogami and Ibuki. But Furutaka and Aoba have different nuances than Myoko, Mogami, and Ibuki that you'll have to learn in order to be successful with them. Basically, you'll need to learn, and relearn, each cruiser as you go up a line.

Videos, reviews, and guides seem to contradict each other because a cruiser is like a Swiss army knife. They're able to adapt to almost any situation and can flex to the situation as it's unfolding. In short, they're all correct. You are a support ship, and you should be with other ships, but some can also go alone when the situation calls for it. You should learn which ships can do this and learn when you need to do this.

Practice your situational awareness and ability to read the mini-map. Strive to get better at predicting enemy movements and then use that ability to guess enemy positions to outplay them. Learn when you should be firing non-stop and when you should go dark and re-position. And on that note, don't be afraid to not fire your guns. You can't be killed if you're not visible(unless you run into torpedoes), and as a cruiser, you should be putting your survival as a top priority. You can be taken out quickly, especially if focused down, so don't put yourself in positions where that will happen. Play for the late game and then your flexibility and firepower can really start to shine and carry games. Also, turn on the last known enemy positions option for the mini-map. Use this to know where enemy DDs were last spotted. It will help to let you know if you need to move somewhere on the map to block the destroyer from reaching your base or back lines. Nothing is more annoying in a DD than a cruiser that puts itself in between you and your goal/target.

Lastly, know what your priority targets are. It should look something like this: DD/CA/L>BB/CV. Fight enemy cruisers primarily, and enemy destroyers when they are spotted. If no available targets are around, pound enemy capital ships that are taking fire from your BBs and/or cruisers. Lend them that support by adding your firepower to the mix. You may just get a fire or two and force the enemy BB to burn his DCP, if that happens, then call him out in team chat and tell your team to focus him since his DCP is on cooldown.

Edit: Oh, and I'd also suggest slugging through the other classes, at least to T7. This will give you valuable experience that you can apply to cruisers. You'll learn where destroyers typically go and what they look for/do, allowing you to put yourself in a spot where you're a thorn in their side. You'll learn how to shoot at cruisers and can then improve your dodging techniques as you'll understand how the enemy BB firing on you is aiming and thinking. Learning CV play will help you to understand how to dodge air strikes, as you'll have seen the game from their perspective and understand what it looks like from their point of view. And you'll be able to judge what squads are attacking and when they're likely committed to a drop.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Without a replay it will be difficult to give pointers. For the most part it appears you are using the cruiser correctly. Running the ship as a " support " in battle type of ship. It is great that you support a DD when you can.

For myself only, i try to keep moving and target everything within range in the beginning. It is always better to move up with the BBs but, if they will only camp in the back and you want to get into the action up front.

Islands are your friend and enemy, love them both.

Keep moving like a worm, never sail straight for too long.

If you need to turn, do so only after your target has fired their guns.

Fire torps to scare or sink the enemy.

Citadel hits will scare away most novice players and force them to retreat or rethink their plan.

Use smoke to cover your team members whenever possible.

When all else fails and you are going to sink ! RAM the enemy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Without a replay it will be difficult to give pointers. For the most part it appears you are using the cruiser correctly. Running the ship as a " support " in battle type of ship. It is great that you support a DD when you can.

For myself only, i try to keep moving and target everything within range in the beginning. It is always better to move up with the BBs but, if they will only camp in the back and you want to get into the action up front.

Islands are your friend and enemy, love them both.

Keep moving like a worm, never sail straight for too long.

If you need to turn, do so only after your target has fired their guns.

Fire torps to scare or sink the enemy.

Citadel hits will scare away most novice players and force them to retreat or rethink their plan.

Use smoke to cover your team members whenever possible.

When all else fails and you are going to sink ! RAM the enemy.

ok who the f can read this font, please be useful, and legit help this new player who is requesting help Edited by MutzLivesMatter

Cruisers are the "Jack of All" kinda ships. Almost all of them focus on a damage over time mindset, which would work if the armor would let you survive more than 2 hits which is where I suspect you're having trouble with them. It's a small thing, but it all comes down to timing. You want to be moving between islands so you're hard to focus on for more than a few seconds, and don't try to shoot till you kill your target, that just takes too much time for anything bigger than a DD. Just try for 2-3k in damage and call that a success so you can get back into cover or refocus on what may be a more vulnerable target. I've tried sticking close to the BBs or covering the DDs but in either case I just get cored right away as the easy target. You want to wait to get stuck in until the BBs start firing continuously, that's the best time to make a play as you're not the most interesting target most of the time by then. If the BBs want to play hide-and-seek in the back or around islands, you're team's prob going to loose so you might as well just turn the aggression up and try to take out 2 ships before going yourself. 

Focus on one CA you have a good *feel* about. Keep playing it while looking up vids by notser and Ichase on said ship, and a LWM review if available. Keep playing it. Branch out.

Cruisers are the "Jack of All" kinda ships. Almost all of them focus on a damage over time mindset, which would work if the armor would let you survive more than 2 hits which is where I suspect you're having trouble with them. 

yep, im visible for a bit too long or right from the outset of the engagement and a cit or two immediately and a fire and its all over.

If you truly want to learn to play cruisers well, then just take your time as you go up lines.

Each cruiser has its own nuances that you need to learn in order to do well in. They also teach you things that will need to be carried up from the lower tiers. For example, the T5 Furutaka will teach you skills about heavy cruisers that you'll need to apply to Aoba, Myoko, Mogami and Ibuki. But Furutaka and Aoba have different nuances than Myoko, Mogami, and Ibuki that you'll have to learn in order to be successful with them. Basically, you'll need to learn, and relearn, each cruiser as you go up a line.

Videos, reviews, and guides seem to contradict each other because a cruiser is like a Swiss army knife. They're able to adapt to almost any situation and can flex to the situation as it's unfolding. In short, they're all correct. You are a support ship, and you should be with other ships, but some can also go alone when the situation calls for it. You should learn which ships can do this and learn when you need to do this.

Practice your situational awareness and ability to read the mini-map. Strive to get better at predicting enemy movements and then use that ability to guess enemy positions to outplay them. Learn when you should be firing non-stop and when you should go dark and re-position. And on that note, don't be afraid to not fire your guns. You can't be killed if you're not visible(unless you run into torpedoes), and as a cruiser, you should be putting your survival as a top priority. You can be taken out quickly, especially if focused down, so don't put yourself in positions where that will happen. Play for the late game and then your flexibility and firepower can really start to shine and carry games. Also, turn on the last known enemy positions option for the mini-map. Use this to know where enemy DDs were last spotted. It will help to let you know if you need to move somewhere on the map to block the destroyer from reaching your base or back lines. Nothing is more annoying in a DD than a cruiser that puts itself in between you and your goal/target.

Lastly, know what your priority targets are. It should look something like this: DD/CA/L>BB/CV. Fight enemy cruisers primarily, and enemy destroyers when they are spotted. If no available targets are around, pound enemy capital ships that are taking fire from your BBs and/or cruisers. Lend them that support by adding your firepower to the mix. You may just get a fire or two and force the enemy BB to burn his DCP, if that happens, then call him out in team chat and tell your team to focus him since his DCP is on cooldown.

Edit: Oh, and I'd also suggest slugging through the other classes, at least to T7. This will give you valuable experience that you can apply to cruisers. You'll learn where destroyers typically go and what they look for/do, allowing you to put yourself in a spot where you're a thorn in their side. You'll learn how to shoot at cruisers and can then improve your dodging techniques as you'll understand how the enemy BB firing on you is aiming and thinking. Learning CV play will help you to understand how to dodge air strikes, as you'll have seen the game from their perspective and understand what it looks like from their point of view. And you'll be able to judge what squads are attacking and when they're likely committed to a drop.

Lots of good general info and thanks for keeping it within IJN, I really hated the Aoba.. as soon as i unlocked the next ship, I sold it. Furutaka is probably my favorite ship right now, and the myoko is a close second.. having much better results then with the german line or with the duca even (although, it plays almost the same as the furutaka but with less fire chance and slower torps). Im not trying to rush (past 5 that is... ), I actually like tier 5/6/7 alot, i've tried the agota and im not good enough for tier8+, they just take my lunch money.

Two rules of cruiser:

1. Never stop WASD if the spotted (!) is showing. NEVER.
  2. Don't be in front at the start of the battle. DDs can conceal and BBs can tank, cruisers just get sunk. You can be brave once the teams thin out.

Lots of good general info and thanks for keeping it within IJN, I really hated the Aoba.. as soon as i unlocked the next ship, I sold it. Furutaka is probably my favorite ship right now, and the myoko is a close second.. having much better results then with the german line or with the duca even (although, it plays almost the same as the furutaka but with less fire chance and slower torps). Im not trying to rush (past 5 that is... ), I actually like tier 5/6/7 alot, i've tried the agota and im not good enough for tier8+, they just take my lunch money.

I personally think the IJN cruiser line is the best line for a newcomer, or someone new to cruiser play, to try. IJN cruisers are strong, but not overpowered. They have glaring weaknesses that will get you killed quick enough to teach you when to stick your nose out and when not to, while also allowing you to stay alive long enough to actually help the team.

They also teach you how to handle 8 inch guns earlier than the other lines with heavy cruisers in them. T5(barring the current MM) is much more comfortable for learning to handle the slower firing, harder hitting 8 inchers than T7(where the other lines begin with CAs). I've found that most players get very jarred by the switch from CL to CA. And the switch normally happening at T7 doesn't help. T7 is where guns start to become extremely accurate and lethal, and the defenses of ships start to lag behind their offensive power.

Couple this with the fact two of the three cruiser nations that start CAs at T7 were limited by the naval treaties of the era, and you've got a bad combo of very different gameplay requiring an entirely different approach to the battle, with a ship that is generally just as, if not more, vulnerable than the previous ships. German cruisers get off a bit easier but the Yorck isn't all that stellar of a ship, workable, if you know what you're doing, but still not newbie friendly. I guess we can thank Imperial Japan for choosing to blatantly disobey the naval treaties of that era, as it translates into the game mechanics quite well, and helps the IJN CAs to perform better, especially in the hands of someone just learning the ropes.(if you don't know what I'm getting at exactly, Japan didn't follow the rules set by the treaties, which set a ton limit on 8" gun crusiers to 10,000. Japan made their CAs heavier than 10,000 tons, and with the way WG has set up the game, it translates well and helps that line to remain fairly strong without being overpowered. Things such as greater HP, better armor, compared to other cruisers, better speed and maneuverability, etc.)

Edit:

yep, im visible for a bit too long or right from the outset of the engagement and a cit or two immediately and a fire and its all over.

On this note, when a battle starts, don't go full throttle. Either sit there for ~30 seconds or only go 1/4 speed. Use this time to analyze where your team is deploying and where you might be needed most. You shouldn't really even go 3/4 speed until you've seen how the majority of the enemy team has deployed. Keep to 1/4 and 1/2 speed in the early parts of the match. Unless you happen to get spotted by an enemy DD or choose to engage in combat. If so, then go full speed to get away from it or to open up the range on enemy BBs, and to help you dodge incoming fire.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

I've found that playing a cruiser means picking and choosing your battles. Sometimes it's necessary not to pull the trigger so as to wait for an opponent to be distracted. 

ok who the f can read this font, please be useful, and legit help this new player who is requesting help

​no problem with the font, and thought the info was useful. but this is the best response to the OP request for advice you could come up with? 

as has been pointed out to me by river, and lert: you don't have to Tier up, it's a choice. if you find a ship you like, you 'get it' and it gets you, keep it, play with it for a while, and enjoy. while you will be learning some habits and skills that will work the next Tier up, you will also be learning some that don't.

by the time you are in Tier 7, you run into players that have aim down and don't miss much, know where to go, have a pretty good idea where you're going to go, even if you are WASDing all over the place, and have situational awareness, map tactics and strategies down for most maps you'll see regularly in upper Tiers. vs them with skills and techniques learned in Tiers 5 & 6 is not always much fun nor rewarding. particularly with the IJN line's focus on torps and the gunfire detection bloom currently in use.

you're spot on about the videos being out of date for the current mechanics and game play. have had a few (very few) super unicum games, but for the most part, do not come anywhere close to what you see in the videos. mostly those are exceptional battles from exceptional players. I am not exceptional. lately have been focusing on doing at least my own ship's HP in damage, + sinking at least one ship. if everybody on the team did that, the battles would be very close, and fun. or at least that's my theory.

there are times when the team plays together well, and times where there is zero team work. additionally, there are times when you have 2+ TKers on your team, and players that play like me on a bad day. this seems to be trending toward no team work in upper Tiers, and there are lots of threads in here that suggest you never count on the team for anything. I hope this trend reverses.

played the minekaze before the great IJN DD nerf, and loved it. am still sold on IJN line because of that. currently I am finishing up the yugumo grind to the shima. I flat out hate the yugumo, stopped playing it for well over a month right after I got it (german BBs, to T10), and am only using it now to get to the shima. if I love the shima, will stick with it, if not, will head back down in the IJN DD line to the DD that works best for me (hoping they have not killed the type/line entirely). so I feel you there.

not really enjoying T10 gameplay much (kurfurst), but don't have much experience being the top Tier in those battles yet. so hopefully maybe that will change? hang in there!

Edited by not_acceptable

Welcome to my world :).  I am at best a mediocre player so take everything I say with that in mind.  The good news is that I am getting better as I go along.  Progress is slow and recently I have had some setbacks due to playing ships outside my comfort zone and sucking at them, but I'm starting to improve once again.  The keys for me have been patience and not paying attention to stats other than as a means of measuring progress.  As long as the line keeps moving in an upward direction then I'm okay with it even if the numbers are red.  I'm okay with it because eventually they won't be red anymore.  It just depends on how much patience you have.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you should be here to have fun!  It's a game after all.  If you are not having fun then what is the point?  You are not going to end war, cure disease or solve world hunger by playing WOWS.  So find ships that you enjoy playing and stick with those as long as you want.  Even if you feel like you should be playing a higher tier, don't worry about it.  Having fun will keep you coming back to play and the more you play the better you will become. The better you are at one tier, then the better you will probably be at the next one up.  No guarantees though, there's a learning curve to each new ship.  The main thing is to keep playing.  I can't think of a T5 ship I actually enjoyed due to matchmaking issues but at T6 I find the Budyonny is growing on me really fast and I'm kind of liking the Yorck at T7 but it took me a really long time to get comfortable at those ships.  Even the Bayern is moving to a positive feeling for me and I am not really a battleship guy even though I keep on trying from time to time.

Watch some videos on YouTube. There are a bunch of good ones from Ichase, Flamu, The Mighty Jingles, Notser, Aeroon and others that all have helped me out in one way or another.  (Many thanks to those contributors.)

Other than that, the specific tips already offered in the preceding posts are all good ones.  The main thing that I recommend is to just find ways to keep playing.  That is how you learn and if you are having fun then you will most likely keep playing.

Good luck and may you sink everything in sight...except me.

thanks for the tips, and keeping the thread positive. Appreciate the help.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0