Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_MaXiMuM

US Premium Saipan Glitch Being Exploited... Basically Cheating! (Staff Please Take a Look)

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

34 posts in this topic

Hello,

Recently I was playing a game in my tier 7 Ranger, up against the US Premium carrier, Saipan. Although the Saipan has significant advantages, I was able to go hand-for-hand in our engagements being an experienced CV captain. Throughout the game, we were pretty much even; trading fighters for bombers, etc. About 5 minutes in, the enemy Saipan utilized a new feature, which allows carriers to escape a fighter dogfight at the cost of one fighter. As many of you may know, the Saipan does not have to give up a fighter in order to leave the dogfight, being a premium ship. The enemy carrier captain used this mechanic to repeatedly engage and escape from fights with my fighter squadrons at no cost to his own fleet. This is where the exploit comes in. When the enemy fighters left the fight, my fighters would be stuck in one spot for 4-6 seconds until the game updated and I was able to control them again. The other CV used this uncontrollable down time to bring his other fighter squadron in and manual strafe my fighters to death without collateral damage to his own.

If you do not understand, basically the CV is leaving the dogfight because of his ability to not lose a plane doing so. He is then using the time my fighters cannot move during to manual strafe them for free kills without harming his own fighters. There is nothing I can do when my planes are stuck in place and the CV was able to kill all of my fighters without losing any himself. The only thing that allowed me to pick a few off is when he had to go back for ammo because my squadron sizes were significantly bigger.

I think this pause time when the enemy exits a fight was overlooked by the team when the mechanic was added a few weeks ago. I did some quick browsing on the forums and did not see any topics related to it. Hopefully this post can reach someone who can explain whether this was intentional or not or get something done to patch this.

There is an easy solution please post a replay of this said glitch.  Thank you.:popcorn:

Replay please.

I don't see how a replay will help the matter, and I have no idea how to go about posting one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

People have said that leaving a fighter fight with the strafe makes the enemy fighters pause.

I think that is intended because you would usually have to "pay" a fighter to escape.

I have done this in my Saipan. Strafe out of a fight and the enemy fighter squad doesn't move for a few seconds.

Edited by saagri

It's not really a glitch.

It's just the result of this poor decision of WG.

Yes, it makes Saipan even more superior than before.

I don't see how a replay will help the matter, and I have no idea how to go about posting one.

Replays are the way that WG can tell if someone was breaking the game or rules so that they can act accordingly, anyone can say anyone else was cheating but Replays are empirical evidence that the said Event happens.

There are also threads on the forums dedicated to enabling replays, its a quick search or browse though the forums.

I've seen this in replays posted on wowsreplay. It happens, and easily reproduced. They probably just need to make it so that either: Saipan takes a fighter loss also, or so that as soon as anyone breaks out of the lockup, everyone can move freely.

What's the rationale for the Saipan not losing a plane? Just because it is premium or because it has small squadron sizes? I would think it would make more sense to have it lose planes, like everyone else - so Saipan skippers would need to factor their squadron sizes into their gameplay.

What's the rationale for the Saipan not losing a plane? Just because it is premium or because it has small squadron sizes? I would think it would make more sense to have it lose planes, like everyone else - so Saipan skippers would need to factor their squadron sizes into their gameplay.

But then Saipan wouldn't be as valuable a purchase.

Three plane squadrons.

I'm sorry to say that this is not a glitch. I have used this tactic many times and if you watch iChase's streams you can see him do it. It's just part of the meta now

Replays are the way that WG can tell if someone was breaking the game or rules so that they can act accordingly, anyone can say anyone else was cheating but Replays are empirical evidence that the said Event happens.

There are also threads on the forums dedicated to enabling replays, its a quick search or browse though the forums.

The person in question was not breaking the rules or cheating at the game at all. He was just abusing a mechanic that did not seem 100% fair or balanced at all and it seemed like there was no purpose to adding it.

Not a glitch. It's meant to keep faster planes from catching-up.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. If you do, I don't know what a dogfight has to do with fast and slow planes. Sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To all those debating whether or not the Saipan is balanced or not: I understand that the Saipan has large advantages over non-Premium ships, but we should expect that considering people have to pay real money to acquire it. I don't think this is a matter of Saipan mechanics, but rather fighter mechanics in general. Any CV captain is able to pull off this maneuver as long as they have more than one fighter squadron, it's just that Saipans are especially good at it because they take no leave penalty. I think we should be focusing on the viability of this mechanic rather than the balance of a paid ship.

Edited by _MaXiMuM

Feature is the word you're looking for....

• Fighters may now be removed from a fight with enemy aircraft via an "Alt" attack -- when any carrier withdraws a squadron from action this way, it'll always lose one aircraft. (This rule applies to all carriers except Saipan, as it has only three fighters in a squadron.)
Edited by ObviousAlt

Max, you're arguing with a bunch of people who just like to argue.  Your time would be better spent doing something less aggravating, I think.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. If you do, I don't know what a dogfight has to do with fast and slow planes. Sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No, I think he's right.  Imagine this scenario: You're in a dogfight with saipan fighters, and you have 4 Hiryu fighters, and no dogfighting expert.  It's not a fight you're going to win, so you sacrifice one plane to strafe out and disengage. But the Saipan captain was paying attention, and immediately reengages the dogfight. So you've moved about .1 KM, lost 1 plane, and are once again in a dogfight.

By having the opposing planes be stuck there for a few seconds, you have time to create separation, and not be immediately forced back into the situation from which you tried to escape.

WG should equalize the rules, and increase Saipain fighters HPs by 100 health.

Then make it to where Saipan cannot strafe her fighters out of a dogfight.  If they get locked into a fight, they are there until it's conclusion.  I'm NOT saying remove their ability to strafe however.

The strafe out of a dogfight makes little sense. It is particularly abusive in the Siapan's case and the fact that it allows you shoot down other planes as you strafe out is absolutely ridiculous. How is an IJN carrier expected to win air battles now? Presumably the US cpt simply moves his fighters out of the way of the strafe and then just engages. Or he allows his fighters to get overwhelmed and keeps one fighter squadron back and then strafes the lot. This should never have been brought into the live game.

Also the Siapan does not effectively have 3 plane squads, it will almost always come with 4 after the right cpt is selected, and it regularly stacks up against T6 fighters with or without air supremacy. A joke at best.

Edited by Danger_Close_FFE

There is an easy solution please post a replay of this said glitch.  Thank you.:popcorn:

YES! So I can do it too!!!!

It isn't a glitch but it does sound like some people are abusing this. A cool down before you can engage again would probably mitigate the abuse.

Hello,

Recently I was playing a game in my tier 7 Ranger, up against the US Premium carrier, Saipan. Although the Saipan has significant advantages, I was able to go hand-for-hand in our engagements being an experienced CV captain. Throughout the game, we were pretty much even; trading fighters for bombers, etc. About 5 minutes in, the enemy Saipan utilized a new feature, which allows carriers to escape a fighter dogfight at the cost of one fighter. As many of you may know, the Saipan does not have to give up a fighter in order to leave the dogfight, being a premium ship. The enemy carrier captain used this mechanic to repeatedly engage and escape from fights with my fighter squadrons at no cost to his own fleet. This is where the exploit comes in. When the enemy fighters left the fight, my fighters would be stuck in one spot for 4-6 seconds until the game updated and I was able to control them again. The other CV used this uncontrollable down time to bring his other fighter squadron in and manual strafe my fighters to death without collateral damage to his own.

If you do not understand, basically the CV is leaving the dogfight because of his ability to not lose a plane doing so. He is then using the time my fighters cannot move during to manual strafe them for free kills without harming his own fighters. There is nothing I can do when my planes are stuck in place and the CV was able to kill all of my fighters without losing any himself. The only thing that allowed me to pick a few off is when he had to go back for ammo because my squadron sizes were significantly bigger.

I think this pause time when the enemy exits a fight was overlooked by the team when the mechanic was added a few weeks ago. I did some quick browsing on the forums and did not see any topics related to it. Hopefully this post can reach someone who can explain whether this was intentional or not or get something done to patch this.

First, what you are describing can be done with any CV that has multiple squadrons.  The only difference is that the Saipan does not lose a fighter disengaging.

Second, and more importantly, the fact that the Saipan doesn't lose a plane in disengaging has nothing to do with the fact that it is a Premium and everything to do with the fact that it only gets three planes per (fighter and torpedo bomber) squadron and it has the smallest hanger size by far of its peers (i.e., fewest replacements).

Edited by Sotaudi

First, what you are describing can be done with any CV that has multiple squadrons.  The only difference is that the Saipan does not lose a fighter disengaging.

Second, and more importantly, the fact that the Saipan doesn't lose a plane in disengaging has nothing to do with the fact that it is a Premium and everything to do with the fact that it only gets three planes per (fighter and torpedo bomber) squadron and it has the smallest hanger size by far of its peers (i.e., fewest replacements).

In your first point, you point something out which I am not arguing. You can scroll down a bit to read where I address this. Here is a copy in case you cannot find it:

"To all those debating whether or not the Saipan is balanced or not: I understand that the Saipan has large advantages over non-Premium ships, but we should expect that considering people have to pay real money to acquire it. I don't think this is a matter of Saipan mechanics, but rather fighter mechanics in general. Any CV captain is able to pull off this maneuver as long as they have more than one fighter squadron, it's just that Saipans are especially good at it because they take no leave penalty. I think we should be focusing on the viability of this mechanic rather than the balance of a paid ship."

In your second point, I'm not even going to address the fact that you contradict yourself (Premium = Three planes per squad in exchange for higher tier planes; you don't see any normal CVs like that). Instead, I'm going to ignore that on your behalf and say instead that you once again are arguing whether or not the Saipan is balanced or not. You like using bold text so here's a bit from me: "To all those debating whether or not the Saipan is balanced or not: I understand that the Saipan has large advantages over non-Premium ships, but we should expect that considering people have to pay real money to acquire it. I don't think this is a matter of Saipan mechanics, but rather fighter mechanics in general. Any CV captain is able to pull off this maneuver as long as they have more than one fighter squadron, it's just that Saipans are especially good at it because they take no leave penalty. I think we should be focusing on the viability of this mechanic rather than the balance of a paid ship."

Thank you to those who are suggesting solutions to the issue and realizing it's a problem, but I still have yet to see a response from someone in a position to fix something like this. In the meantime, I've moved onto different games, which is why I am late to responding to this.

In your second point, I'm not even going to address the fact that you contradict yourself (Premium = Three planes per squad in exchange for higher tier planes; you don't see any normal CVs like that). Instead, I'm going to ignore that on your behalf and say instead that you once again are arguing whether or not the Saipan is balanced or not.

The reason that Saipan doesn't lose planes on a strafe-escape is because it has only 3 planes per squadron. Just because it is a premium with 3-plane squads does not mean that it only has 3 planes/squad because it's a premium. If there were any other 3 plane-squad tech-tree carrier, then they would also get the immunity to strafe-escapes.

You fail to see the difference between correlation and causation.

Not a glitch, just a weird mechanic. The purpose of strafing out of lock was to allow USN CV's the ability to exit fighter locks by IJN CV's to pursue bombers. The fighters that didn't strafed are paused so that they don't immediately lock the the fighters that just left again.

The unintended consequence was that a second fighter squadron can come in and strafe the paused enemy fighters. It's not unique to the Saipan; all CV's can abuse the "feature", the Saipan just does it best.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0