Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MaxRocket17

Dunkerque

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

89 members have voted

1. 1. Is it even remotely enjoyable?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 posts in this topic

Recently had a viewer request a Dunkerque video.  I don't do well in her but she's more then capable and a good ship to learn the bow tanking methods that will become necessarry once you reach Tier8-10 in the USN BB line. 

It looks like a fun ship, plus she's a beauty.

I'd love one but I keep putting it off...

Dunkerque is tanky in regards to AP shells. But every time I play the Dunkerque, I get HE spamed to death. And I've found that the Dunkerque is too vulnerable to HE shells. Dunkerque is covered in 25mm plates which HE penetrates. So I don't like the Dunkerque, I prefer Scharnhorst. Which (currently) is my favorite ship to have fun in.

For some reason, even though the dispersion is good. Most(too often all) of my shots tend to miss. And that's with (ASM1 mounted). Perhaps it's just RNG, but I've just had a terrible time playing the Dunkerque.

What I do like about the Dunkerque is:

- While the armor is rather thin, you can angle yourself and bounce most BB shells. (Similar to Kongo) (But you're still likely to take lots of pen damage)

- The guns reload relatively quickly and the 330mm shells are aerodynamic and get to the target fast. The AP shells do good damage even if there isn't a citadel. And the AP shells have *excellent* penetration for their caliber.

(Do not underestimate the guns of Dunkerque. Angle yourself and keep some distance. And Dunkerque will be fairly easy to sink)

Penetration chart comparison of Scharnhorst and Dunkerque:

Scharnhorst

p6I3xQZ.png

Dunkerque:

EuMJNlv.png

The Dunk is, to me anyway, a hard ship to master but I think I finally got the hang of effectively fighting her. I drive her like I do a US Heavy Cruiser; lots of angling and shooting at intermediate ranges because she damn sure aint a brawler. What's tricky is timing the "over the shoulder" shooting when I'm moving away from the target and timing turning away from the target, so that my sides are exposed as little as possible.

I'm having fun with the Dunk now. She's a keeper.  :playing:

IFHE was a big nerf-hammer to Dunkerque, intentional or not. That 25mm armor used to be a huge advantage, as it made you practically invulnerable to 152mm HE spam. But, now that IFHE is a thing, and any CL captian with 6" guns worth their salt tier VI+ uses it, it means Dunkerque's not much more than a giant piñata for them, in terms of dealing damage to her...

But Dunkerque's still one of the best BBs at killing DDs out there :D

She's absolutely terrifying to anything from BBs of her tier or lower and just about any cruiser and DD she comes across she'll cut cruisers up like a tomato on chopping board for a vegetable soup.

the rudder shift time is just amazing for a BB I got into a knife fight with a Kamikaze R whose torps I dodge at 5km then he attempted to ram me on to be erased from the matches existence by my secondaries, the 2ndaries are very good it's just that they can fire at the sides and back and yes especially the back! /^,\\

She's absolutely terrifying to anything from BBs of her tier or lower and just about any cruiser and DD she comes across she'll cut cruisers up like a tomato on chopping board for a vegetable soup.

the rudder shift time is just amazing for a BB I got into a knife fight with a Kamikaze R whose torps I dodge at 5km then he attempted to ram me on to be erased from the matches existence by my secondaries, the 2ndaries are very good it's just that they can fire at the sides and back and yes especially the back! /^,\\

She's also terrifying to German and USN BBs at tiers HIGHER than her. Her guns are more than capable of citadelling Colorado or a broadside-on NC, and her accuracy is such that you can pretty-much guarantee the (full-damage) regular pen hits on the German Superstructures.

Dealing 10-20k damage (NO Citadels this time) in one salvo to a Bismark is pretty hilarious. It's even funnier when someone comes 'round touting their Shiny Horse and you rip ~15k off their health with one salvo, AND you reload faster.

I love killing Scharnhorsts.

FYI to prospective buyers; The turrets get disabled frequently.

FYI to prospective buyers; The turrets get disabled frequently.

Only in close-fights, where secondaries are blazing away. Most enemies I've found will ignore the turrets, aiming for the bow, belt, or superstructure.

I always found myself getting more overpens than regular pens in this ship.And the accuracy is questionable at times.

But having 8 guns up front is amazing. 

I thoroughly enjoy the Dunq.  I play it like a cruiser.  Engage BB's with HE unless broadside.  Very fun ship

She's my favorite ship in the entire game, a great attacker that can cause problems for anything that she faces. IFHE has made her pretty mediocre if I'm being honest, but she's still a very enjoyable ship that can pull off some monster games from time to time.

She's my favorite ship in the entire game, a great attacker that can cause problems for anything that she faces. IFHE has made her pretty mediocre if I'm being honest, but she's still a very enjoyable ship that can pull off some monster games from time to time.

Then again, not many T6's that I've met have taken IFHE.

Only in close-fights, where secondaries are blazing away. Most enemies I've found will ignore the turrets, aiming for the bow, belt, or superstructure.

It don't matter what range I am from the enemy. Hits by mains and secondaries disable the turrets. And secondaries should NOT be able to disable a BB's main turret.

Main armaments mod 1 doesn't seem to help at all.

It don't matter what range I am from the enemy. Hits by mains and secondaries disable the turrets. And secondaries should NOT be able to disable a BB's main turret.

Main armaments mod 1 doesn't seem to help at all.

Interesting. I haven't noticed that except inside the 4-5km range.

I play very aggressively in mine, and I can only recall one or two times where I've lost a turret...

She's also terrifying to German and USN BBs at tiers HIGHER than her. Her guns are more than capable of citadelling Colorado or a broadside-on NC, and her accuracy is such that you can pretty-much guarantee the (full-damage) regular pen hits on the German Superstructures.

Dealing 10-20k damage (NO Citadels this time) in one salvo to a Bismark is pretty hilarious. It's even funnier when someone comes 'round touting their Shiny Horse and you rip ~15k off their health with one salvo, AND you reload faster.

I love killing Scharnhorsts.

Im reasonably sure Shcarn has the faster reload..

Hood has made the Dunks life even harder, it quite easily beats it, and it is with Scharnhorst  and Gneisenau the one ship able to stay in pursuit and catch it, not counting some tier 8 BBs.

The only hope for a Dunks when facing a Hood is that something else distracts it, HE is not cutting it against the huge heals of the Hood and AP against an even moderately angled Hood does not work.

Dunks needs a revision and  it is hardly Premium in the Meta and gameplay of today. 

Hood has made the Dunks life even harder, it quite easily beats it, and it is with Scharnhorst  and Gneisenau the one ship able to stay in pursuit and catch it, not counting some tier 8 BBs.

And it does come down to how good the opposing captain is.  As for T8 BBs, I've taken on Bismarcks in it and won.  There is no such thing as a sure win with any ship.  Currently I'm still getting used to the Hood and where to shoot it, but once I have that, won't matter.

The only hope for a Dunks when facing a Hood is that something else distracts it, HE is not cutting it against the huge heals of the Hood and AP against an even moderately angled Hood does not work.

Dunks needs a revision and  it is hardly Premium in the Meta and gameplay of today. 

I totally wrecked a Hood in my Dunkin Donut earlier tonight, I only used AP, it's super structure and nailing the flat side of it's bow while angled made the fight. It's a captain thing though because I absolutely destroyed a Dunk in my Texas not to long ago because the captain screwed up bad

And it does come down to how good the opposing captain is.  As for T8 BBs, I've taken on Bismarcks in it and won.  There is no such thing as a sure win with any ship.  Currently I'm still getting used to the Hood and where to shoot it, but once I have that, won't matter.

I love thrashing foolish Bismarks who think they're invulnerable. "Ha! It's only a Tier--- where did a quarter of my health go?"

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0