MaxRocket17

Dunkerque

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

105 members have voted

1. 1. Is it even remotely enjoyable?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So... the Dunkerque is available again. :rolleyes:  It isn't the Richelieu but it's as close as we'll get for a while. We might get French BBs after the Russian freighters, Albanian patrol boats, and Swedish frigates to be honest.  No review has been made for a while and a lot more ships have been introduced so, is the Dunkerque worth spending real money on... now?

Edited by MaxRocket17

One of the few premiums that I absolutely regret for not picking up in time. Say whatever you want about her competitiveness, she's gonna be unique and enjoyable to play. You shell fly both reasonably accurately and fast, an unique trait among tier 6 battleships, which alone is enough to justify all your investment in her. You are fast, and you have the turret placement to allow you to use that speed the full potential without hindering her firepower. 

I think the words Best BBQer in the world would best describe Dunkerque. Her HE shells are way OP and can set more anything on fire if you know how to aim!:playing:

Like the Duca, it came with an easy mission to boost a commander up skyward in a hurry.

Since the Dunker was the only French ship at the time.

Now, you have the Duca to work up a RM captain -- before the release of Italian ships.

She's tanky as hell when bow on, reasonably fast when repositioning is needed, and her HE shells are monstrous.  The only thing working against her is MM, which guarantees she'll see bottom-tier about 70% of the time.

One of my absolute favorite ships. A citadel machine.

She's one of the most fun ships in the game, and tier for tier (imo) one of the best BBs in the game. She got a very 'meh' review when she first came out, and was said to be a poor pick in competitive games.

Oh how wrong that assessment was :D

Dunkerque is ludicrously fun. It can citadel any broadside at the tier from moderate-range (even New Mexico, which I find hilarious [12-inch shell v. 15-inch armor]), and its accuracy means that you won't just see 1 citadel on what you're shooting. 2, 3, 6, 8.... and it has the fastest fire-rate of any battleship at the tier, which makes it able to dish-out a lot of damage in a relatively short window. Also, because of its high fire-rate (for a battleship), you're more likely to incapacitate enemy guns, and KEEP them incapacitated, than other battleships.

Downsides are that you most certainly have to switch to HE when shooting at destroyers, because your AP overpenetration damage just doesn't add-up like the American AP overpen damage, and it has a terrible TDS. Also, the detection range is bad.

Armor's a little on the weak side, but you can fix this by maneuvering and using islands to your advantage.

In my first Random Battle with her, after some Co-ops, I was violently accused of being overly cautious by the whole team, shooting from long distance and getting results too.  But my Dunk was the only ship left in the end ( until torped by the only surviving enemy... ). I sank 2 cruisers and a DD but 'lost' the game for the whole team.... Nasty comments too. Put me off Randoms for a while. Yuk. Get a life.

But, I was very aware of the fragility of the Dunkerque and needed to learn to use her properly, so the comments were understandable ( sort of...).

Now, with all upgrades mounted my Dunk rocks. I can hardly bring myself to use another ship at the moment. Love my DunkTank.

Edited by Player_0472365113

I'm a Dunkerque fan but short of the FDG, her dispersion can be maddening. Play something like Montana or Warspite and then come back to Dunkerque, you really feel like the difference between 50 and 100k damage is a roll of the dice.

I was unsure of dunkek when i first purchased her, but for being a few dollars cheaper than the other T6s during her first sale, i was like meh worst that can happen is i shelve her for a potental buff, but naw, after playing dunkek shes my favorite CA to play( t6 moskva) and ive done some crazy crap in her, like knife fighting an NC and winning while we both had roughly 80% hp to start. but yea when it comes to BBs her and warspite are my top two for funsies.

Edited by Destroyer_Atlanta

I was unsure of dunkek when i first purchased her, but for being a few dollars cheaper than the other T6s during her first sale, i was like meh worst that can happen is i shelve her for a potental buff, but naw, after playing dunkek shes my favorite CA to play( t6 moskva) and ive done some crazy crap in her, like knife fighting an NC and winning while we both had roughly 80% hp to start. but yea when it comes to BBs her and warspite are my top two for funsies.

You joke, but it basically IS a T6 Moskva without AA or a large zone of Concealment.

It will citadel New Mexicos and Colorados, and can take massive bites out of German Battleships, even when your shots go into the belt.

You joke, but it basically IS a T6 Moskva without AA or a large zone of Concealment.

It will citadel New Mexicos and Colorados, and can take massive bites out of German Battleships, even when your shots go into the belt.

heck yea, i had a match in her 2-3 days ago where i triple citadelled a fuso from like 16k away in my first salvo of the match, was FeelsGoodMan

Just this weekend decided to spend the doubloons and purchase.  Very happy with the purchase, enjoyed the few games I played, was up tiered a lot, but was competitive.  Dispersion can drive you a bit crazy, but I would recommend 

heck yea, i had a match in her 2-3 days ago where i triple citadelled a fuso from like 16k away in my first salvo of the match, was FeelsGoodMan

I just realized that your Avatar was General Townes from C&C:Generals:Zero Hour. The only USN general I liked unmodded besides Alexis Alexander.

I just realized that your Avatar was General Townes from C&C:Generals:Zero Hour. The only USN general I liked unmodded besides Alexis Alexander.

yea hes one of the few i liked unmodded as well, although some of the modpacks gave him crazy crap. like laser "artillery" , and enhanced fusion reactors with 175% extra power output.

Hello guys. I have this ship and am hoping to get a build for the future ship the Richelieu. Can someone recommended me a good build that would most likely work for that. I know we don't have stats for it yet but what do you expect to be a good build for it.

Hello guys. I have this ship and am hoping to get a build for the future ship the Richelieu. Can someone recommended me a good build that would most likely work for that. I know we don't have stats for it yet but what do you expect to be a good build for it.

Well, given that the Richeliu hasn't been released, then I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to give you any insight on this matter.

It's not just that we don't have the stats for Richeliu. It's that we don't have anything.

Well, given that the Richeliu hasn't been released, then I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to give you any insight on this matter.

It's not just that we don't have the stats for Richeliu. It's that we don't have anything.

you are correct it hasnt been released but unless WG pulls WG shenanigans, once thing we can be sure of is the Richeliu is going to be worse at turning than NC as an example because shes a good 85ft longer than NC with with similar draft/beam. or simlar length as bismarck but less beam, so the length to beam ratio is off, shes also going to be a slow turner, if not poor ruddershift, wide turning circle. Its stock hull AA will be crap since its AA was almost non existant until she was refitted in the US in 1943, so thats another. Edited by Destroyer_Atlanta

There's really nothing wrong with the Dunkerque in the right hands, its just different from everybody else because it requires a playstyle not yet seen at tier 6. Going bow-on all the time and not needing to turn otherwise does make sense since all the guns are forward mounted. It brings a different playstyle into the game.

I just bought a Dunk. What I like is the trajectory of the shells. Easy to aim the flight path reminds me of Hindenburg.

Recently had a viewer request a Dunkerque video.  I don't do well in her but she's more then capable and a good ship to learn the bow tanking methods that will become necessarry once you reach Tier8-10 in the USN BB line.