StoneGullet

Duguay-Trouin Fan Club

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

38 posts in this topic

We don't have a French Cruiser forum yet so I'll post this here. I am a big fan of this tier IV ship.I have yet to do below 45k damage in it. I find this ship a beast. The playstyle really clicked for me. I am keeping this new seal clubbing tool. I hope I am not the only one who enjoys the work of art.

I have found it's AP to be hit or miss and it's ballistics are terrible but it's HE is amazing. Great DD hunter and it's range is crazy. Just can't wait for speed boost...

I've done terribly in it. I just can't get the French ships to work for me.

When I'm in one, I get citadeled to kingdom come.

When I'm shooting at one, I can't citadel them.

I'm up to T6 and so far Doogey is the best-for-Tier of the French cruisers. 

Well...it took me awhile to get a handle on this one... total glass cannon. Good guns, as far as HE, hit or miss AP. REALLY good torps! If you get busted in the open, you are toast. She just can't take a hit. This may sound funny, but I feel like I'm driving the Atlanta's long lost French cousin. She is best on maps with lots of cover, so you can use the angles to torp from. I do like the cat fighter, and I can deal with Langleys and such pretty well. My best game so far:

shot-17.04.23_14.52.26-0773_zpsylsspw6m.

I dunno... I went up against one toe-to-toe in a Kaiser and the most I could do for damage was 2k. He ended up winning. Any time I hit that boat with something that would citadel almost any other boat, it either overpens or does negligible damage. I wonder if WG made them harder to cit. as everyone was saying how weak their armor was going to be.

I am averaging 48k average dmg after 3 matches. (stock hull grind  to fully upgraded)  very easy ship to farm dmg.      

Right now on warships today I got 66% w/r 49k average damage and a 1290 wtr in the ship. My favorite t4 cruiser.

I've only played one game I her... But it was pretty good for a first game, given I was totally stock. Just short of 30k damage, 3 kills. HE is solid, and the AP is monstrous against other cruisers.

I'll add my name in here. I'm a fan. I wanted this boat specifically due to her history at Casablanca and Ko Chang. She is a blast to play! I am a VERY good Phoenix and Kuma player but she beats these easily.  I do enjoy clubbing planes, and her AA is a bit weak and on the short-ranged side.

My captain:  Level 1 (PM, DCCA) Level 2: (EM) Level 3: (DE) Level 4: (CE) for 11 points. My wish list includes AFT and JOAT. I created 6 MN captains when the line was announced, and had one 19-point on the Dunkerque and have since ground up a second. I will continue grinding up my D-T captain and keep playing her. Low tier is where its at in World of Warships. 

Note: I highly recommend DCCA. Two floatplanes will do some solid work against Langley and Hosho planes, and help spot torpedoes and DDs. Also, I'm on the fence with CE. She's so big, and not stealthy, and low-tier you are ALWAYS spotted, so CE is kinda marginal. I may re-spec for lower-tier skills or AFT.

Edited by Fox_Cruiser_Algerie

Just wanted to post a really, really nice game I had today. This is NOT my high-damage game, that would be yesterday. I managed 102k damage dealt in a loss that was very hard to swallow. this game was a similar story with a better outcome. We ended up being down 4-8 ships. I got the last 5 kills in a row to carry the match to a win. 7 of the 9 citadels were in a single volley against a broadside Phoenix. This is my fifth ship with a 7-kill game.

DuguayCarry.png

DuguayCarry.png

Edited by Fox_Cruiser_Algerie

Just wanted to post a really, really nice game I had today. This is NOT my high-damage game, that would be yesterday. I managed 102k damage dealt in a loss that was very hard to swallow. this game was a similar story with a better outcome. We ended up being down 4-8 ships. I got the last 5 kills in a row to carry the match to a win. 7 of the 9 citadels were in a single volley against a broadside Phoenix. This is my fifth ship with a 7-kill game.

DuguayCarry.png

Congrats. I only have 1 7-kill ship: Ranger.

So, the problem I seem to be having is that I play the French Cruisers too aggressively. I need to hold back. Somehow, I'm gonna retrain my brain to do this.

8 matches and 60k average dmg.   yah, it is bit OP.    and all I have is 6 pointer  for captain.  :D

Edited by centarina

I don't have any French skippers trained up - so I'm driving hard the two 19 pointers I do have, building up some free Skipper XP.

I read and watched a number of reviews - and the broad consensus seemed to be that the French cruisers were pretty squishy.

So - I did what any kill hungry skipper would do - I sallied forth from port in a number of "cruiser deletors".

Nassau, Konig, Molotov, Scharny, Nagato, Bismarck, GK - all have been crewed, provisioned and sailed, in the last week - out to welcome the French cruisers to the WOWS octagon.

What I have found, however - is that French cruisers aren't all that squishy, at all.  In fact - though I've had some time to play, recently - and have racked quite a few devastating strikes, this last week - I can't think of a single French cruisers I've managed to one-salvo-delete.

I've hit a number of citadels, to be sure - but even though there have been squadrons of French cruisers, many that showed me full broadsides - I've found them to be remarkably resilient. 

I'm very much looking forward to starting up that line!

My "last" game in it was a monster. 65k damage, confederate, 8 citadel hits. Unfortunately no end of battle screenshot because I had the end-of-match crash bug. I'll probably sell it because I own the Nikolai and all, but it's still pretty good.

It's a tremendous ship, absolutely love it.  It is all of the fulfilled potential that the tier 3 cruiser could have been.

I spent a long time in the Tier 3.  didn't think i would like the Duguay with how much I enjoyed her predecessor.  But...  Well, finally broke down and moved my way up to her, took her out on a suicide run that actually turned profitable. 

She's squishy, HE shells are trouble for you but man she's capable

https://wowreplays.com/Replay/35225-vonKaiser-Duguay-Trouin-New-Dawn

CaVGPpu.jpgL0Gw6tC.jpg

Edit to add video

Edited by vonKaiser

Solid ship.  I actually enjoyed pushing through it and I think it will be one of those ships that I don't sell.

DT is  really solid,  hating  the T5 though.    it just is so fragile that if I show tail at all, I seem to get citadeled.   

Almost certainly has a broken damage model.

The only time I've been able to citadel one with a BB was near 14km. Otherwise you are far better off just shooting HE since 90% of your shots will be overpens for 1-2k per salvo.

Absurdly strong considering how good the damage output is.

Almost certainly has a broken damage model.

The only time I've been able to citadel one with a BB was near 14km. Otherwise you are far better off just shooting HE since 90% of your shots will be overpens for 1-2k per salvo.

Absurdly strong considering how good the damage output is.

Well that's because the thing has a serious lack of armor.  Unless you hit it JUST right those shells are going through it like a hot knife through butter

Well that's because the thing has a serious lack of armor.  Unless you hit it JUST right those shells are going through it like a hot knife through butter

I don't think it's that simple. After watching a couple of my replays, it seems to take a high proportion of zero-damage pens.

If the damage model is working as intended, then I would expect it to get nerfed considering its guns seem to be best in tier (or nearly).

I took mine out for its second game last night. It was going pretty well, even if it was down to two CLs holding a flank vs two BBs and two CLs (all involved were tier IV)...

And then I got detonated.

The Duggy's a good ship but I didn't keep her since I already have 2 excellent tier IV Cruisers, Yubari and Phoenix. (I consider Phoenix to be the best tier IV Cruiser)

I've played the French line up to La Galissionare,which I'm far from impressed with, and I like the Emile Bertin the most.