Ken_1962

The Sad State of In Game Chat

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

146 posts in this topic

Hi, I need to vent about the sad state of in game chat. I recently had a game in one of my IJN t8 Cruisers. I did 160 hits, 66k+ damage and got credit for two sinking’s although that is a team stat in my opinion. I finished second in a losing effort, one of only two ships from my team to survive.

When I peek at chat and someone is spewing report my ship name. I ask what I did wrong and he said my winning percentage was a cancer. Now first I know I am not one of the elite players nor claim to be. I do hope maybe one day to be but not yet. I present the stats not as a validation that I am anything other than trying to do my best. Second, the victory percentage is a worthless stat it means nothing about any player’s abilities it merely means that the teams I have played with have one “X” percent of the battles. I am but 1/12 of that equation.

Now some background and history for the kids out there I am yes born in that year. My first video game is the original one pong. I am an original geek and been into computers since before many of you were even an egg in your mothers ovaries. My system is custom and robust to say the least far beyond normal gamers’ systems. Therefore, geek is an understatement.

In my day, we were taught to respect our elders something lost on this generation. Being called a “cancer” when I am merely trying to have a good time doing something and have obviously spent the time to grind through up to tier 8 CA’s is worthy of degree of basic human respect. I also watch many videos from top players trying to learn and improve my game each day.

If you feel the need to have to put down other players when (by the way they were sunk already), well heck next time tell me up front you are the greatest thing to happen to WOWS since the microchip. I will not even bother to play because heck you should be able to win it all on your own. If not, frankly shut up no one wants to hear your filth.

First, because I don’t rush in and rather study my options is not a flaw it is called wisdom something that comes from living life and learning from its mistakes? Like most kids whom I assume this person was they are in too much of a hurry to do what most people, my age would prefer to do all night. Life is best savored and enjoyed and well just goes better when properly thought out.

Frankly, WG take chat out it is the cancer of the game! It is full of vial mouthed people of about as many intelligent words as their IQ. If it wasn’t for the more mature players like me that have a few bucks to spend on the game it wouldn’t even make enough to afford development. Now if it is possible for people to treat each other with a degree or respect and decorum then maybe it should stay but I am not holding my breath anytime soon for that to happen. Dudes it is a game after all not world peace in the balance. So just grow the blank up and you might learn something about life before it is over.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Post It note over the in game chat.

If someone says something about your performance and it bothers you, it's called criticism, there is usually some truth to it. That's why it bothers you, if it didn't affect you it wouldn't even be an issue. So... Take the criticism and learn from it, get better and then the next time someone says something to you in regards to the issue tell them to [edited]off.

Edited by slak__

Just gotta grow a thicker skin and ignore guys like that.  Not worth getting rid of chat entirely just because some people have to blame everyone else for their inadequacies.  And as Apaosha alluded to, get good at putting people on 'ignore'.

Edited by Battleship_Dunkerque

The chat's not the problem—it's the people, right? So, don't take out the chat simply because there are times where someone is being toxic.

If it truly bothers you, ignore the chat or mod it out.

The rest of us having fun using it.   

while i feel you, i have to say that removing chat from the game is one of the stupidest things they have ever done (it i possible to turn it off right now in the games UI) and if they removed it FROM A TEAM BASED GAME it would be the stupidest crapever. we need the chat because its necessary to communicate to increase your chances of winning.

i understand your dislike, but unfortunately these people are a small minor percentage of the population that are best ignored rather then posting rants about them. mute them and move on. for the most part the people i run into in the game are good people, but these ones are just a small but vocal minority who have a superiority complex.

on another note, your winrate is fine, as it is long as your learning from it. the guy sounds like an [edited], and reporting for that is some pretty messed up crap, but he is just a vocal minority, so mute him and move on please.

I know some have suggested the post it notes solution and don't get me wrong I have meet some wonderful people and some rather amazed by a 50+ gamer I'm not to worried about being reported the game states defend that well enough it is just why be a jerk to a perfect stranger? The world is full of enough hate and if there is to be peace may it start with me. Spoken like the dad of a soldier.

There's a mod to remove the team chat - I suggest you use it and lower your stress level.

I gave up on chat etiquette a LONG time ago - with a giant majority of potato players rushing up the tech tree and ruining upper-tier play, I typically just do what I can while I'm in there and bail if that battle has no feasible way to win.

Post It note over the in game chat.

If someone says something about your performance and it bothers you, it's called criticism, there is usually some truth to it. That's why it bothers you, if it didn't affect you it wouldn't even be an issue. So... Take the criticism and learn from it, get better and then the next time someone says something to you in regards to the issue tell them to [edited]off.

Um - no.  He had a stellar game. The criticism was bitter bilge.  Being bothered by criticism may mean you have thinner skin than some, but it hardly endorses the critique.  My suggestion is for the OP not to worry about it.

1- you aren't that good. win rate doesn't mean that much to many factors to it...other stats tho. over 4k games and you don't average 30k damage? 

2- how old are you? 

2A -- if 30+, seriously dude? 

3- life goes on it's only game chat you're a big boy, should be able to hand anonymous people on the internet. 

Edited by scruffycavetroll

Thanks guys for the validation. Your right I am sorry to say to sensitive, lol. I actual keep a log and each day try to make my game improve I am disabled so spend the lack of life on the game as to have something to do. You are correct it is a necessary part of playing better like knowing where your team is going. 

Um - no.  He had a stellar game. The criticism was bitter bilge.  Being bothered by criticism may mean you have thinner skin than some, but it hardly endorses the critique.  My suggestion is for the OP not to worry about it.

So...

You only take one game at a time?

Sometimes doing well in game can show you what you did wrong in the three matches prior, my point is that someone said something that hit a nerve. It hit the nerve hard enough that OP felt the need to come on here and share his feels...

1- you aren't that good. win rate doesn't mean that much to many factors to it...other stats tho.

2- how old are you? 

2A -- if 30+, seriously dude? 

3- life goes on it's only game chat you're a big boy, should be able to hand anonymous people on the internet. 

Never claimed to be great yes far beyond 30 besides for someone to win someone must loss

Thanks guys for the validation. Your right I am sorry to say to sensitive, lol. I actual keep a log and each day try to make my game improve I am disabled so spend the lack of life on the game as to have something to do. You are correct it is a necessary part of playing better like knowing where your team is going. 

It's fun having something to improve on, right? 

Personally, I love the chat in this game. Generally, people are very nice here, and there's normally no problems. In fact, every now and then you can get one of those battles which were awesome solely because of the people in chat.

And if someone's being a toxic idiot? I just ignore what they're saying. No need to give them the satisfaction of a response, or consideration. 

Edited by RivertheRoyal

Never claimed to be great yes far beyond 30 besides for someone to win someone must loss

My point is never take game chat, regardless of game seriously.

Add me and we can div one day and i'll try to help. I'm OK...i don't play this game overly serious and neither should you. 

Welcome to the Internet?

Seriously OP. You're a computer nerd and this is your first taste of in-game chats?

Wait until they go in-depth about your mom. I always tell them mom would enjoy it since she would be like 75 if she wasn't dead.

In my divisioning, I'm the "kid" and I'm only a couple years younger than you.

Use chat to your advantage to provide the team information, ping the map, call out targets. You can ignore players you don't want to listen to. TAB, right click their name, and mute chat.

Welcome to the Internet?

Seriously OP. You're a computer nerd and this is your first taste of in-game chats?

Wait until they go in-depth about your mom. I always tell them mom would enjoy it since she would be like 75 if she wasn't dead.

Use chat to your advantage to provide the team information, ping the map, call out targets. You can ignore players you don't want to listen to. TAB, right click their name, and mute chat.

I know rite? 

Sometimes it's fun to just go with it and troll them. Like "you should get cancer" reply: "I'm actually a large tumor with arms sitting at the chair playing" or something like that....just have fun with it. 

I was merely trying to point out that some basic respect for one another of all abilities is necessary for the games to grow.

Some ships like CV for example have good sized learning curves. It needs new players and do you want 10 year old's or a diverse audience? Remember not to many 10 year old's can pay $49+  for a ship that is what pays WG staff no staff game dies that simple.

Maybe they can learn something from someone who has played games for a lot longer as I am sure I can from them. If it sounded like wining it was not intended to be merely an observation and may be even a generational issue that I am not blind to the fact that my age is a handicap here. This is actually a depart for me most of my previous gaming is more like Total War so I am trying to make my old fingers keep up. 

Amen brother, same here. Keep on chargin

I know rite? 

Sometimes it's fun to just go with it and troll them. Like "you should get cancer" reply: "I'm actually a large tumor with arms sitting at the chair playing" or something like that....just have fun with it. 

to good :-)

I was merely trying to point out that some basic respect for one another of all abilities is necessary for the games to grow.

Some ships like CV for example have good sized learning curves. It needs new players and do you want 10 year old's or a diverse audience? Remember not to many 10 year old's can pay $49+  for a ship that is what pays WG staff no staff game dies that simple.

Maybe they can learn something from someone who has played games for a lot longer as I am sure I can from them. If it sounded like wining it was not intended to be merely an observation and may be even a generational issue that I am not blind to the fact that my age is a handicap here. This is actually a depart for me most of my previous gaming is more like Total War so I am trying to make my old fingers keep up. 

FOr the most part, people don't say anything. But it's the internet...what do you expect? 

And that is warranted.

But...

Sadly respect is lost in translation through the internet. Put on some music, toss a post it over the chat and use the f keys when you aren't feeling the idiots on the internet, that's what I do..

So first I want to acknowledge that people are the problem, not chat. Chat is an invaluable tool in battle, and the team that has the best communication tends to win more often. As such, I'm really against the option to turn off chat.

People need to be better educated on how to report people in chat for mis-behavior.

Welcome to the Internet?

Actually I have been on the Internet since before there was one - pre AOL even! I am merely trying to help lift the level of awareness that sorry to say you never know the other person place.

Trust me when I say that the age thing doesn't matter to most people here on the forums. In fact, the standard age distribution is fairly spread out here, with peaks in the late teens, and over past the 40's. We have our fair share of codgers.  

A bunch of us know what you're trying to do but this does not change the futility of it. You came in and got it off your chest... .1% of people or less who the message actually applies to are even going to see your post and of those who do an exponentially smaller percentage of them will give a [edited]. It's unfortunate- but that's where we're at. 

Maybe consider hiding your stats and taking them off the table completely. Beyond that put people who are harassing you on ignore in game... tune them out. Find some mature div mates to help spread the load a bit and distract you from the negativity. 

Good luck.