Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

The Big List of Premium Ship Candidates

69 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

I figured I'd throw some significant ships out there that have a decent likelihood of becoming premium ships either because they are unique in design or because they are historically significant. Please feel free to bring up any ships you feel deserve to be on this list!

USA

USS Boise: Brooklyn class light cruiser that was falsely praised, for propaganda purposes, for sinking more enemy warships than any other American warship during WWII. Had the silhouettes of all the ships she "sunk" painted on the side of her bridge.

Chesapeake Raider: popular nickname for the ex-battleship Wyoming converted into a gunnery training ship and armed with a main battery of 14x 127/38 dual purpose guns. Basically a battleship version of the Atlanta class AA cruiser.

USS Alaska: The lead ship of the USN's only class of what would be called a "battlecruiser" in European navies, though officially classified as a "Large Cruiser" in her own navy.

USS Wolverine: A Great Lakes paddle-wheeler that was converted into an aircraft carrier for use as a pilot trainer in the safety of the Great Lakes. Thousands of WWII navy pilots qualified on her flight deck including former president George H.W. Bush.

Great Britain

Dido class cruiser: Great Britain's primary class of AA cruisers (Like Atlanta) during WWII. Lots of different variations of the class for WG to chose from.

HMS Royal Oak: A Revenge-class battleship and the first battleship to be sunk during WWII

HMS Norfolk: British heavy cruiser that was involved in the sinkings of both the Bismarck and the Scharnhorst. A "Slayer of Giants" if you will.

HMS Agincourt: WWI British dreadnought famous for having more main battery guns (14) than any other battleship in history.

Japan

IJN Maya: A Takao-class heavy cruiser that, later in its career, traded a dual 8" gun turret for a significantly strengthened AA and secondary battery. Also, has a much larger bridge superstructure than our Atago in-game, this is because Atago and Takao had their bridge superstructures rebuilt to save weight and improve stability and Maya and Chokai kept their original bulky bridge superstructures.

IJN Ise: Lead ship of an improved class of Fuso class battleships. Could be presented in game either as a normal battleship or as a battleship-carrier hybrid.

Germany

Leipzig: Basically a Konigsberg class cruiser with it's turrets all on the centerline. Technically part of the same class as the Nurnberg but the differences between the two are substantial enough as to justify considering each ship to be a class of its own. Had a very active service life and proved impossible to sink despite being shot at, torpedoed, bombed and was even once nearly split in half by an accidental ram from the Prinz Eugen.

Emden 1925: The first major German warship built after WWI. Also, the first ship my Great Grandfather served on, so I'm slightly biased.

(Note: If both Leipzig and Emden 1925 make it into the game then every completed WWII class of German cruiser will be represented in the game.)

SMS Ostfriesland: Part of the Helgoland class of Dreadnoughts, the only class of German dreadnought not yet represented in the game, and also the first battleship ever to be sunk by aircraft as well as being a veteran of Jutland.

France

Edgar Quinet: The last, largest and most powerful class of armored cruisers built by France. Has a uniform main battery, rare among armored cruisers, so she can be relatively easily balanced and implemented in-game. Has 6 funnels. :P

Bearn: France's only operational WWII aircraft carrier

Other Countries

Viribus Unitis: Austro-Hungarian dreadnought. Arguably the most historically significant of the Tegetthoff class dreadnoughts which were the first dreadnoughts to boast triple turrets all in superfiring mounts.

Espana: Lead ship of Spain's only class of battleships ever built.

De Ruyter: Perhaps the most well-known Dutch warship of WWII, sunk during the battle of the Java Sea.

Sao Paulo: Part of the Minas Geraes class of Brazillian dreadnoughts. Served in both World Wars. Was lost in a massive storm in 1951 while being towed to Great Britain for scrapping. Has never been seen or found since, despite several efforts to locate her over the years, leading to many conspiracy theories emerging trying to explain her mysterious disappearance, which ranges anywhere from bein attacked by a Sea Monster to being abducted by UFOs for use as an interstellar museum ship.

Ning Hai: Chinese light cruiser of WWII era. Sunk, captured, refloated and recommissioned by the Japanese navy in 1944.

Varyag: Russian protected cruiser. Perhaps the most famous Russian warship of all time (don't know how on Earth she isn't in-game yet) with a long and interesting service life. Participated in several battles and served in both the Russian and Japanese navies.

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 4

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles

Greetings all,

----snip----

Varyag: Russian protected cruiser. Perhaps the most famous Russian warship of all time (don't know how on Earth she isn't in-game yet) with a long and interesting service life. Participated in several battles and served in both the Russian and Japanese navies.

Come on now.. a fictional ship can be put into the game with whatever stats it is thought might be suitable..  a "real" ship is going to be limited by what it really did with proof as to the actual stats obtained and that wouldn't necessarily be a superpowered russian phantom :hiding:

Oh and HMS Glowworm and HMS Furious (before conversion to a carrier with her 18" guns in WW1)

M

Edited by MaliceA4Thought
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Isuzu, Wichita

[SALVO]
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

SMS Schleswig-Holstein

fired the first shots of ww2 in europe. 

Members
4,886 posts

oh, every day you learn something new

i haven't known that george bush was a pilot of "avenger" and was once shot down and saved by a submarine as the only survivor from his crew :ohmy:

also this whole list is biased to some capital ships etc stuff. where is muh glowworm and haida?

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

SMS Schleswig-Holstein

fired the first shots of ww2 in europe. 

​Excellent choice!

• Cool 1

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

also this whole list is biased to some capital ships etc stuff. where is muh glowworm and haida?

Hasn't Haida already been confirmed?

Glowworm is a good suggestion as well.

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

While the Wolverine is very cool, it doesn't even have aircraft handling facilities and can only make turns for 19.1 knots.  I mean one strike isn't going to make positively influence the match and you won't be able to run from well, anything.  

I wouldn't mind seeing the SMS Blücher in game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,187 posts
15,766 battles

Greetings all,

I figured I'd throw some significant ships out there that have a decent likelihood of becoming premium ships either because they are unique in design or because they are historically significant. Please feel free to bring up any ships you feel deserve to be on this list!

Interesting list but you forget one very interesting ship, the as planned BC USS Lexington.

Now a small challenge, what ship am I using for my profile picture? You are about the only person on the forum that has a chance of getting this right.

Edit: you also missed the Perth's partner in the opening weeks of the war, the USS Huston. That is a package I would leap at.

Edited by BrushWolf

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

While the Wolverine is very cool, it doesn't even have aircraft handling facilities and can only make turns for 19.1 knots.  I mean one strike isn't going to make positively influence the match and you won't be able to run from well, anything.  

I wouldn't mind seeing the SMS Blücher in game.

First tier 2 aircraft carrier? :P

Another great Armored Cruiser candidate! Perhaps the most powerful armored cruiser ever built, famous for her participation in several battles including the Battle of Dogger Bank as well as being accidentally bombed by a German zeppelin that misidentified her as a British battlecruiser.

[PIR8S]
Members
103 posts
7,318 battles

How did you miss the USS Enterprise CV-6 "the Grey Ghost" that participated in more naval engagements against the Japanese than any other US ship, had 20 battlestars, and was one of only 3 CVs commisioned before WWII that survived the entire duration. She also served for over 6 months as the only operational US CV in the pacific with the slogan "Enterprise Vs. Japan" being painted on the flight deck. She is one of the most Famous Ships in US naval history, let alone just during WWII. She more than deserves to be made into a premium cv. also, still waiting on the Naval legends video on her wargaming :sceptic:

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,143 battles

That was a cool video of the Schleswig-Holstein. Love real footage documentaries like that. All of these ships have a cool and unique history, only my wallet doesn't like this thread.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Now a small challenge, what ship am I using for my profile picture? You are about the only person on the forum that has a chance of getting this right.

Ha! Easy! That's the J.B. Ford! The oldest surviving ship on the Great Lakes and survivor of the 1913 storm that claimed her sister ship. There was a movement to turn her into a museum ship but the discovery of large amounts of asbestos put an end to that, now she sits in Duluth waiting for scrap prices to go up. :(

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

Isuzu, Wichita

Isuzu would be a terrible ship to include in-game. She would basically be a Kuma, except the entirety of her anti-surface armament consists of three 127mm twin turrets. That's it.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Looks like a Great Lakes freighter

SS Edmund Fitzgerald?

Edmund Fitzgerald was red, my friend, also nearly twice the size of the ship in the picture. ;)

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Great Britain

Dido class cruiser: Great Britain's primary class of AA cruisers (Like Atlanta) during WWII. Lots of different variations of the class for WG to chose from.

That one.

And any of the "Other Countries", game could use more flavor.

Plus Battlecruiser Lexi.

Edited by slak__

[SOUP]
Members
9,391 posts

HMCS Haida and the Hyuga. I also wouldn't mind seeing some more Chinese ships floatin' around

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Isuzu would be a terrible ship to include in-game. She would basically be a Kuma, except the entirety of her anti-surface armament consists of three 127mm twin turrets. That's it.

She trades gun caliber for one extra gun per broadside and superior rof. I think she'd be perfectly fine.

Edit: so she also loses two torpedo mounts... but gains a far superior AA battery in return.

Edited by dseehafer

[HINON]
Members
2,642 posts
7,936 battles

County Class Cruiser HMAS Australia or Modified Leander Class HMAS Sydney would be nice to see

Edited by 212thAttackBattalion

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,187 posts
15,766 battles

Looks like a Great Lakes freighter

SS Edmund Fitzgerald?

Great Lakes freighter but definitely not the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Ha! Easy! That's the J.B. Ford! The oldest surviving ship on the Great Lakes and survivor of the 1913 storm that claimed her sister ship. There was a movement to turn her into a museum ship but the discovery of large amounts of asbestos put an end to that, now she sits in Duluth waiting for scrap prices to go up. :(

Edmund Fitzgerald was red, my friend, also nearly twice the size of the ship in the picture. ;)

More like three times, the Fitzgerald topped out at about 30K tons load and the JB Ford probably had trouble reaching 20K tons totals displacement. I figured you would get it with your love of the lakes ships, I also figured I would use a picture from happier times. She looked like a tug boat next to the modern ship that was docked for the winter in the same slip. It would be nice to see her become a museum ship but the cost would be astronomical.

Edited by BrushWolf

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

This list is disappointing, I really look forward to proposed designs or designs that didnt make it into the water for whatever reason. Ships that are interesting and different from what is in game already and never got the chance to really float. 

Things like 14" quad NC

North_Carolina_Quad.jpg

Kongo replacement:

kongo_replacement_battleships_by_leovict

etc

There are tons of designs that were really considered in spring styles and other places that would be interesting to see in game. 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Great Lakes freighter but definitely not the Edmund Fitzgerald.

More like three times, the Fitzgerald topped out at about 30K tons load and the JB Ford probably had trouble reaching 20K tons totals displacement. I figured you would get it with your love of the lakes ships, I also figured I would use a picture from happier times. She looked like a tug boat next to the modern ship that was docked for the winter in the same slip. It would be nice to see her become a museum ship but the cost would be astronomical.

I was referring to length rather than displacement, but that works to. :rolleyes:

Speaking of Fitz's loaded displacement... empty, the Big Fitz weighed 13,632t and the most she ever loaded was 27,842t... so on that trip she displaced 41,474t in total!

While losing J.B. Ford to the scrapper is disheartening, the foundation that was trying to save her has now redirected the funds that would have gone towards the J.B. Ford towards purchasing the younger S.T. Crapo to be turned into a museum ship. S.T. Crapo is a worthy choice for a museum ship as she is the largest purpose built Cement carrying ship EVER built ANYWHERE!

Image result for st crapo

Edited by dseehafer

Sign in to follow this