lipiru

Unpopular Opinion: Colorado is a strong ship

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

40 posts in this topic

Had 50 battles in the Colorado, very impressed by this ship. A true brawler. 

Pros:

Guns: good accuracy, hard hitting shells, over match all same and low tier BB bows. 

Protection: Strong armor, strong heal, low citadels.

Small turning circle, and it is a short ship

Good AA.

Torp reduction 37%

Cons:

Speed

Low HP (partially mitigated by armor and heal)

However if you take a central position, you are a big threat to almost all ships on the map. I used to stop at the NM during the US BB line grind since I have heard a lot of bad things about the Colorado. Now it appears to be a true gem in the US BB line, I would say it is the 2nd strongest BB tier for tier in the line, just behind the NC.

lipiru

It's mostly bad because of the grind to the hulls. However, she is good.

She was a strong ship before the rise of the Kriegsmarine. I liked her and never thought she was bad. Ok but then I never sniped with her at long range.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Opinions vary?

And stats don't seem to agree with your assessment...

0qNMiDz.png

Edited by ObviousAlt

Opinions vary?

And stats don't seem to agree with your assessment...

That is why I said it is unpopular opinion :D

She doesn't compete with her peers, but she's still a solid battleship that will punish the other classes.

Her biggest weakness is the slow speed compared to the other tier 7 BB's. It takes a lot of patience but once you are comfortably within her range she rocks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mine is that the Omaha is a amazing ship and my favorite tier 5. I think she might even be the strongest as long as your not a dumpster player. Just sit behind islands all match and farm damage like it's nothing. I have people in game telling me that she's terrible and made of cit's but i'm sitting over here wreaking it almost every match. So easy and yet the average stats on her are terrible. Oh well it just makes it easier for me to bump up my stats then.

Edited by scerviche178

I certainly find the Colorado better than the Nagato. The IJN weeb in me loves the Nagato, but not so much the in-game performance. The Colorado is more reliable in every way, on the other hand.

The Colorado is a good ship if it reaches the battle in time, and the battle doesn't change places on the map.

Colorado IS a strong ship! The problem is most people won't let go of how bad she was prior to her guns getting buffed.

My experience with the Colorado says it's the best sniper battleship outside of the Izumo, Yamato or, at times, the Montana.  Dispersion is often more like a cruiser than a battleship.  Doesn't mean it still doesn't have full [edited]dispersion like every battleship gets but my god the thing has been amazing at range.

The Colorado is a good ship if it reaches the battle in time, and the battle doesn't change places on the map.

And that's on the user.

Loved playing the Colorado and selling it is still a regret. With that said, the Colorado wasn't bad before KM BBs, but after KM BBs it was measured against the Gniesenau and Scharnhorst and found wanting (rightly so). I can't really comment on it's state now because I sold it before KM BBs were introduced but I can imagine it still holds up well, but falls behind overall.

It's much better than people give it credit for. I think at high ranked levels last season it probably did better than the Scharnhorst. I don't think random battle stats accurately reflect Colorado's potential in that format (stats are easily misinterpreted anyways).

It's a great ship, I'm glad I bought her back during that sale a couple weeks ago.  One of my recent favorite moments was getting into a kiting brawl with a Bismarck and Scharnhorst; they were chasing me and slowly gaining, with the Scharnhorst trying to swing wide to get at my flank.  Ultimately I sunk the Scharnhorst and gave the Bismarck a good workover before he finally sank me, only to die to my allies' gunfire soon after.

That and the double strike double CQE I posted a while back.

Mine is that the Omaha is a amazing ship and my favorite tier 5. I think she might even be the strongest as long as your not a dumpster player. Just sit behind islands all match and farm damage like it's nothing. I have people in game telling me that she's terrible and made of cit's but i'm sitting over here wreaking it almost every match. So easy and yet the average stats on her are terrible. Oh well it just makes it easier for me to bump up my stats then.

Omaha is amazing.  If she didnt get Tier7ed every 1/3 game she'd be amazing.   

It's so-so.  The gunnery and ability to turn are the saving graces of the ship.  It used to be far, far worse at launch before her buffs.  It was even worse with the old +/-3 MM spread.  Yes, Pre-buffed, Stock Colorados were facing down Yamato and 2 TB Strike Midways.

For the tier, omaha honestly isn't bad, however that's only for the tier. When it used to be +2/-2 at tier 5 she was good top and mid tier, and (as with now) rather weak when uptiered. 

And that's on the user.

Other t7 battleships don't have the same problem

Colorados guns are the best at the tier. Like others have stated - if she keeps her distance she can really lay on the pain.

When I ground her out, I hated her speed and squishiness when bottom tier.  In season 6 ranked, I played Fiji exclusively, and I loved to see Colorado's on the enemy team.  I just ate them up, and there was nothing a Colorado could do to counter.

And yes, their guns hit hard.  But to a fragile cruiser, ALL BB guns hit hard.