Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

USS Prinz Eugen

30 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

I doubt that I'm the first person to think of this, but I haven't seen it mentioned here before. People often bemoan the fact the Prinz Eugen is a pretty bland ship, with no character of her own to speak of. I'm sure that the majority of the people on the forum know that the Eugen actually survived the war, was awarded to the US as the USS Prinz Eugen, before being expended as an A-Bomb target at (I belive) Bikini Atoll. Not exactly an illustrious career in US service, but still. What if the Prinz Eugen came with a second free premium camo that had her sailing under an American ensign, and able to train American captains? This would make her stand out as the game's first/only dual training ship, and would give her something unique without having to resort to something like radar or the like. 

Obviously WG can simply leave her as is, but they've done a pretty good job of maintaining the quality of the game's high tier premiums, and it's unfortunate to see the Prinz Eugen as being the only real ugly duckling of the lot.

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,307 posts
23,632 battles

I actually really liked it. Until the Missouri came out it was the best credit earner in the game. Now after the buff from this patch Is really very good. As far as your idea goes it could be fun you could add the USS Nagato to that as well.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

I actually really liked it. Until the Missouri came out it was the best credit earner in the game. Now after the buff from this patch Is really very good. As far as your idea goes it could be fun you could add the USS Nagato to that as well.

Nagato never carried a USS designation. Prinz Eugen did officially receive that name when captured.
  • Cool 1

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

I would rather she had more value on her current line, the reason I dropped $50 to begin with, I already have plenty of USN Prems to grind out USN Captains with. I want PE to not be a turd on her current line, not be essentially even more of a turd on the USN line as I already have better USN options...

[HGTWN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
98 posts
3,097 battles

She needs something regardless but the ability to train KM or US captains interchangably would be pretty cool.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

Only if she suffers a constant damage over time effect as her crew slowly dies from severe radiation poisoning. Cause that's the only time she's "served" as an american ship ;)

Members
4,886 posts

She needs something regardless but the ability to train KM or US captains interchangably would be pretty cool.

there is a certain 4 letter word that begins with s and ends with t for such boats :trollface:
Edited by bad_arcade_kitty

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Well, the Russian server is (rumored to be) getting a Nurnberg reskin premium as the Admiral Makarov... so it wouldn't be the first time they did something like that.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

yeah but the Nurnburg actually served.  the "USS" Prinz Eugen didn't.  I don't think it would be right.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

yeah but the Nurnburg actually served.  the "USS" Prinz Eugen didn't.  I don't think it would be right.

This is true, though there's already a fair amount of "what if" in WoWs, so this isn't completely unprecidented in that regard.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

This is true, though there's already a fair amount of "what if" in WoWs, so this isn't completely unprecidented in that regard.

I'd rather have US designs, with high velocity guns.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

I'd rather have US designs, with high velocity guns.

That's fair as well, though I don't know that a national variant skin for the Eugen is mutually exclusive to new US designs making it into the game.

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

USS Prinz Eugen also lost the guns from her A turret, so thats not exactly favourable. 

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

USS Prinz Eugen also lost the guns from her A turret, so thats not exactly favourable. 

Well, the Imperator Nikolai was never actually completed, but they seem to do alright in game. :teethhappy:

I know that this is a bit of a stretch (though the game has already made a few larger leaps of faith), but I was trying to think outside of the box a bit on what WG could do to give the Prinz Eugen a bit of sizzle, to make her more than a Hipper reskin without piling more consumables or buffs onto the ship. 

Members
441 posts
8,477 battles

From the reports of the US crew, she was lucky to make Bikini. She was a mechanical nightmare.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

From the reports of the US crew, she was lucky to make Bikini. She was a mechanical nightmare.

To be fair US sailors also practically destroyed Sakawa. It's more likely the fault is with the sailors, not the ship.
  • Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

What if the Prinz Eugen came with a second free premium camo that had her sailing under an American ensign, and able to train American captains? This would make her stand out as the game's first/only dual training ship, and would give her something unique without having to resort to something like radar or the like. 

The big package could include a unique flag.  A blue flag with a red (or orange) mushroom cloud.

The unique expendable?  Glow in the dark.

• Cool 1

[TSF_1]
Beta Testers
447 posts
19,583 battles

Only if she suffers a constant damage over time effect as her crew slowly dies from severe radiation poisoning. Cause that's the only time she's "served" as an american ship ;)

Not true. She was sailed from Germany to the US West Coast by her German crew, under the command of a USN Captain. A USN crew was on board doing an evaluation of her technologies that were different in several areas from US practice. When she reached the West Coast, the German crew returned home, and the USN crew continued operating her to finish the evaluations. She had better optical rangefinders than either the US or Japan, and her servo controls for turrets and fire control directors used Magnetic Amplifiers to drive the big motors, instead of Amplidynes, driven by banks of  thyratron tubes. The German servo control system was more reliable, and not as likely to be damaged by the shocks from the guns firing.
  • Cool 1

Members
56 posts
7,561 battles

In case a single vote helps, i like the idea alot and would buy it. I own a dual nation training tank on WOT console and consider it a favorite.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this