Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wulfgarn

How is Shimakaze after patch?

93 comments in this topic

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Is it any better for you? Hitting more often with torps? Notice any difference? 

Just curious on your experiences. 

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
454 posts
10,431 battles

Pretty good for me getting 6-10 torp hits per a match now, the turret buff was also something that was very needed now the guns don't turn like a battleship

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,557 posts
15,232 battles

Can't tell. The few matches I had were not good but for different reasons. Lost one match before I even got into position because the other flank completely crapped the bed and took us down to 0 in like 5 minutes. It was amazing. :)

Other matches were either CV buzzing all over or 5 radar ships on the red team. Not much I could do. Hitting lower than usual actually.

I was still using non-TA 12km fish. I will try adding TA since now it will have the same RT as F3 with 1.6km extra range.

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

Just like it was before the patch.  Except when kiting away from people and shooting, my guns mostly keep up with my wiggling due to the traverse buff.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I was able to do quite well with Shima in 0.6.3

I can only assume it's much better at doing its job of flanking and getting to broadsides of BBs

[O7]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
12,327 battles

Killjoy still can't make it work, so there's that

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,046 battles

They would have to buff it A LOT to compete with the other DDs. Easier to do the obvious and nerf Fletcher/Gearing while also reducing USN smoke duration. That would put all IJN DDs on equal grounds, but with how WG likes their USN bias I doubt that would happen. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,557 posts
15,232 battles

They would have to buff it A LOT to compete with the other DDs. Easier to do the obvious and nerf Fletcher/Gearing while also reducing USN smoke duration. That would put all IJN DDs on equal grounds, but with how WG likes their USN bias I doubt that would happen. 

That will only make them all suck the same. What need to be done is to make IJN DDs more competitive against other ship types. 

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Sure, let the torpedo-boats have guns on par with the gunboats.

..That doesn't seem to make sense, does it?

Members
1,080 posts
5,785 battles

I had some nice broad side hits on few ships, erased a Bismark from full hp, however I cannot tell if they were due to buff or due to player's lack of attention. Still trying to train up a second captain for Shimakaze to have a TA to test 9.6 km torpedoes.

Edited by Vaitmana

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,046 battles

That will only make them all suck the same. What need to be done is to make IJN DDs more competitive against other ship types. 

The problem is, is that the Shimakaze is not actually in a bad spot in terms of ship balance. The other T10 DDs are just better. Z-52 is arguably a better torpedo ship in most situations, Gearing is just better at pretty much everything except for speed and shell arcs. Shimakaze does not even need that much to be balanced on its own. At this point a buff to its concealment to make it as good as Yuugumo's would suffice. Why play Shimakaze when all the other destroyers play their role better? You see the same problem with T8/9 premiums overtaking researchable ships in power when they play the same role.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

The problem is, is that the Shimakaze is not actually in a bad spot in terms of ship balance. The other T10 DDs are just better. Z-52 is arguably a better torpedo ship in most situations, Gearing is just better at pretty much everything except for speed and shell arcs. Shimakaze does not even need that much to be balanced on its own. At this point a buff to its concealment to make it as good as Yuugumo's would suffice. Why play Shimakaze when all the other destroyers play their role better? You see the same problem with T8/9 premiums overtaking researchable ships in power when they play the same role.

Except stats completely contradict your statement. 

As of now, Shim is performing better then the Gearing. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

Gun handling is more comfortable. Torpedo difference seems negligible; I can't tell whether the .2km of spotting distance is making a difference, or if I'm just shooting them at less observant players. To be fair, that change was supposed to affect whether enemy DDs are able to dodge them on reaction or not, and I haven't been in that situation enough times to know.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Except stats completely contradict your statement. 

As of now, Shim is performing better then the Gearing. 

In damage or in win rate?

Naturally a destroyer whose job is killing destroyers will do less damage than a destroyer whose job is killing battleships and being murdered by other destroyers.

In 1-day stats (since the patch has only been live for 1 day) Gearing is beating Shimakaze in winrate and damage.

[CRMSN]
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

In damage or in win rate?

Naturally a destroyer whose job is killing destroyers will do less damage than a destroyer whose job is killing battleships and being murdered by other destroyers.

In 1-day stats (since the patch has only been live for 1 day) Gearing is beating Shimakaze in winrate and damage.

Both 

She only slightly ahead in 2 weeks stats in the Avg XP metric  (70 avg xp diff between Gearing and Shim) 

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

EZEoHae.png

Anyone want to guess which is which? Who is putting money on the Gearing being the evil grey line oppressing poor Shima sempai? Who are the orange and dark blue lines that could really use a little help? 

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

EZEoHae.png

Anyone want to guess which is which? Who is putting money on the Gearing being the evil grey line oppressing poor Shima sempai? Who are the orange and dark blue lines that could really use a little help? 

Wouldn't Gearing shoot more DDs than Khavarovsk, thus having less damage?

In which case Ship kill ratio or XP would be a better indicator, which everyone is about at the same range, except Shimakaze which is lagging behind, and Kharbarovsk which is running ahead.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Wouldn't Gearing shoot more DDs than Khavarovsk, thus having less damage?

In which case Ship kill ratio or XP would be a better indicator, which everyone is about at the same range, except Shimakaze which is lagging behind, and Kharbarovsk which is running ahead.

And yet nobody is talking about the Khab, just that evil Gearing that needs to be nerfed so the Shima can rule again. Trying to figure where that narrative comes from. 

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

And yet nobody is talking about the Khab, just that evil Gearing that needs to be nerfed so the Shima can rule again. Trying to figure where that narrative comes from. 

Personally I think every DD should be as powerful as Khab, and Cruisers respectively also powerful enough to delete them.

Most of those DDs should be able to take out a Battleship, if not a DD like in the case of Gearing whose strongest feature is knife fighting and capping.

In that regard, I think Gearing would be as powerful as Khabarovsk if she got better AA. Just powerful in a different regard than just raw power.

Gearing isn't an issue for Shimakaze, honestly I think she's in a good position right now. Gearing is avoidable and if you get caught by one you just got outplayed. I still think that torpedoes as a whole mechanic needs to be reworked because it's inconsistent and just weird, but Shimakaze is fine.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,829 posts

Why do the other DD's need to deal the same damage as the Khab ?

Khab has poor Concealment it can't play the objective that well.

Members
1,080 posts
5,785 battles

Why do the other DD's need to deal the same damage as the Khab ?

Khab has poor Concealment it can't play the objective that well.

lol, no, khabarovsk hardly ever is concealed anyway, and idk after its recent nerf, but before, khaba could play objective and easily erase any dd in cap that was opposing it.
  • Cool 1

[-K--]
8,172 posts
10,840 battles

lol, no, khabarovsk hardly ever is concealed anyway, and idk after its recent nerf, but before, khaba could play objective and easily erase any dd in cap that was opposing it.

Khab alone most certainly cannot contest caps as well as Gearing or even Shima. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,557 posts
15,232 battles

Khab alone most certainly cannot contest caps as well as Gearing or even Shima. 

Khab can certainly contest the caps. She just can't keep the caps if the red DD has any support. But preventing the other team from taking the objective is still playing for the objective.
  • Cool 1

Members
7,122 posts
26,433 battles

They fixed the wrong thing on the Shima. It's the reload that is the problem. What good is great concealment if you show up in a cap and your torps still need 35 seconds to arm. Gunfight your way out? Wait till the Gearing or 52 cap and clear out and then move in? The so called "buff" that give less than a second less reaction time....bleh...Shima still the same.

I mean it's comical, how can every BB, crusier and dd have faster reloads than the ultimate torpedo boat? Does that make sense?

Besides the Kami being a premium and rare the thing that makes it functional is....great ship concealment, and fast reload. It's big brother has only one of the traits and the worst in the game with the other.

Edited by Sweetsie

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

They fixed the wrong thing on the Shima. It's the reload that is the problem. What good is great concealment if you show up in a cap and your torps still need 35 seconds to arm. Gunfight your way out? Wait till the Gearing or 52 cap and clear out and then move in? The so called "buff" that give less than a second less reaction time....bleh...Shima still the same.

I mean it's comical, how can every BB, crusier and dd have faster reloads than the ultimate torpedo boat? Does that make sense?

I'm going to say you're playing it wrong...

Shima isn't a cap DD, it's a flanker.

Sign in to follow this