Blademaster95

French Cruisers

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

58 posts in this topic

Ok so what is the scoop on the french cruisers? I have heard alot of reviews about how bad they are lol. The top tier ship looks underwhelming, and tier 6 through 10 honestly dont seem that impressive. Is this line even worth doing? 

I'm having fun so far playing them, and they did buff them after the negative reviews

There is a great deal of WG cheating with the Fre Cruisers.

Amazing how many shots miss them entirely.

All the good multi-shooter ships now amazingly miss.

Amazing how they manage to survive when they should be sunk.

Anyone think WG is playing the next favorite card with them?

What a stinking joke.

What a stinking joke.

Wait, so you're alleging a hidden shell dispersion increase when aiming at French ships? 

Is there any history of such a thing being done before or is this just pure reaction to RNG not favoring you for a few battles? 

Wait, so you're alleging a hidden shell dispersion increase when aiming at French ships? 

Is there any history of such a thing being done before or is this just pure reaction to RNG not favoring you for a few battles? 

It's as though you've never read one of his posts before...

It's as though you've never read one of his posts before...

I'm not sure if I have. I honestly don't commit most user names to memory. :D

In between the IJN and the RN. No smoke, decent HE and AP, respectable torpedoes from T3, lousy armor and good speed and manuverablity. They fit as is and will hold their own once players get the hang of it. At Friant and working to Duguay-Trouin in six battles total. Expect to get to La Galissonière and Algèrie in about 30 battles, as T7 is about as far as I will go in this line.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In between the IJN and the RN. No smoke, decent HE and AP, respectable torpedoes from T3, lousy armor and good speed and manuverablity. They fit as is and will hold their own once players get the hang of it. At Friant and working to Duguay-Trouin in six battles total. Expect to get to La Galissonière and Algèrie in about 30 battles, as T7 is about as far as I will go in this line.

I agree. They just seem like solid longish range gun cruisers. Simple and obvious.  Edited by bacononaboat

Skip the T5 and T6 imho. Both are garbage ships. Crap armor, crap guns with a painfully slow reload time and nowhere near enough maneuverability to make up for it. Sure, they have the speed but it doesn't matter because you cannot turn out of most shells in my experience in Emile. No one i have talked too has anything better to say about the T6. 

Skip the T5 and T6 imho. Both are garbage ships. Crap armor, crap guns with a painfully slow reload time and nowhere near enough maneuverability to make up for it. Sure, they have the speed but it doesn't matter because you cannot turn out of most shells in my experience in Emile. No one i have talked too has anything better to say about the T6. 

How many games does it take to get past T5 and T6 without fxp, with premium, xp camo, and xp flags?

The tier 5 was pretty solid. I really enjoyed it and kept it. Tier 6 was "ok" but felt like a gimped tier 5 that saw higher tier ships. I hated the tier 7.

What a stinking joke.

​I don't think some people noticed the fact that the HE and AP have different shell velocities. (at least on the friant so far) So that makes aiming kinda awkward when you're trying to min-max your HE/AP useage. The spaced armor (that's actually a thing right?) actually does work aat the most troll times. You could have a french CL dead to rights broadside but your shells will only pen the first layer and count it as an "overpen" or shell shatters.

Sounds like he's not looking at the other side of the coin here. Both playing and shooting at I don't see any issues.

Edited by Vekta408

The CAs (starts at T7) are pretty good.

I love the T8 in particular; it can equip Hydro, Speed Boost, and Catapult planes for some really aggressive rushes.  It also can outfit double Rudder shift modules and be an outright pain to hit (getting called out as a hacker for matrix dodging in a large cruiser was new).

The T9 forces a trade-off between Catapult Plane or Speed Boost, so she loses out some on plane scouting capability, but being able to push near 40kt (straight-line) on top of double rudder modules allows her to remain flexible.  I'm still getting used to her, but her great blend of RoF, traverse, shell speed/arc, and shell damage makes her a great all-rounder.

How's the La Galissonniere if anyone's gotten there yet? She looks like she might be a good ship but she appears to have a huge citadel.

So far I have made it to Tier 5 and it is a painful grind.

French Cruisers have paper armor, seriously like 15mm, you can be penned by DD HE it's that bad.

You get set on fire alot.

Your rudder will break alot.

You turn slow and wide for a light cruiser.

You can post above average damage and still lose because the last ships will run you down and pen you to death.

You can not carry even 1 versus 1 against a same tier cruiser, because of paper armor and slow reload. Example Omaha 8.0 reload, Emile Bertin 12.5 reload.

Moderate success comes from kiting and HE spamming ships for fires. If you have DE even better.

But I find every other Tier 5 cruiser is better than the French one.

Edited by BigJohnsonLogan

How's the La Galissonniere if anyone's gotten there yet? She looks like she might be a good ship but she appears to have a huge citadel.

When Flamu reviewed that ship during Public Test, he really liked it, then Wargaming nerfed it's rate of fire from 7.5 second reload to 10 second reload and he free exp the ship.

Hey

I started grinding the lower tier Brit cruiser line this weekend and have found the T1-T4 French cruisers to be easy to citadel; in fact I have had more citadels this weekend than in the last 6 months against everything else.  Looking forward to the mid-upper Tiers and see them in action.  They were a no-go for me; I'm doing Germans BBs/Cruisers/Low T Destroyers and now the Brit. Cruisers.  Wave the white flag for me on the French.

Pete

Im not really a cruiser person myself, so i have been hesitant, i love BBS. only cruiser i have is the tier 10 russian CA moskva. and i love it. I just got the tier 8 french cruiser, any thoughts on how she will be?

Hey

I started grinding the lower tier Brit cruiser line this weekend and have found the T1-T4 French cruisers to be easy to citadel; in fact I have had more citadels this weekend than in the last 6 months against everything else.  Looking forward to the mid-upper Tiers and see them in action.  They were a no-go for me; I'm doing Germans BBs/Cruisers/Low T Destroyers and now the Brit. Cruisers.  Wave the white flag for me on the French.

Pete

British AP is almost the perfect weapon against the low-tier French cruisers, their short fuses are brilliant against the thin-skinned French cruisers.

I love her. Created a custom skin for her, representing La Gloire in 1943.

La%20Galissioniere.png

Edited by USNA_76

I just got her last night.  3 matches in her, I think I am in love.  She has a much better survivability than my favorite RNCLs and the Penzacola.  Where Pepsi can dance and RNCL have smoke this one has toughness.  I once got into a knife fight with a Bayern.  Yeah I died, but I was alive for a whole lot longer than I would have been in one of my other cruisers.  Hell even my Mino would not be able to get that close to an equal tier BB.   Not sure about the citadel, but I have gotten my 'bell rung' in her a couple times, thing is unlike the Pepsi where that means death, or the RNCLs where that means 80% of your HP and you better have a heal ready, in this I look and its like, 'Oh, I only lost 1/3 of my HP".

Edited by Ujenele

I just got her last night.  3 matches in her, I think I am in love.  She has a much better survivability than my favorite RNCLs and the Penzacola.  Where Pepsi can dance and RNCL have smoke this one has toughness.  I once got into a knife fight with a Bayern.  Yeah I died, but I was alive for a whole lot longer than I would have been in one of my other cruisers.  Hell even my Mino would be able to get that close to an equal tier BB.   Not sure about the citadel, but I have gotten my 'bell rung' in her a couple times, thing is unlike the Pepsi where that means death, or the RNCLs where that means 80% of your HP and you better have a heal ready, in this I look and its like, 'Oh, I only lost 1/3 of my HP".

Thank you! From the input, I reckon that she's worth working up to.  :playing:

I recently got the Charles Martel, so I am hoping that the St. louis and the Henri the IV are as good as people say they are. 

only up to tier 3 but I'll give the tier 3 Firant a thumbs up. it's a little fragile, but at the same time, it's nice to have a more modern design as the cruiser at tier 3 instead of slogging through horriable WW1 designs for 4 or 5 tiers.