Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

The Hindenburg Dilemma

9 comments in this topic

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

Hindy is a great ship and a lot of fun...and, being a Tier X, is always Top Tier.  I can understand now why so many people just free exp their way through entire ship lines.  It's not that the ships are bad, per se, but they are a pale shadow of the Tier X apex.  If you are confident enough in your game ability, why wouldn't you just skip straight to the top? 

I guess that's really the "high tier" or "Tier X" dilemma.  

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

I think you will get some argumentation on that as the gameplay at top tiers can be a little cautious and anemic at times--so I was warned, and it can be true but many battles are as good as anywhere else. That said I think many find that the tier VI-VIII sweet zone of tiers offers the best challenges and play, without the usual crippling costs of higher tiers.

And as you point out the ship matters. I'm enamoured with the Zao just now but the Moskva is truly lethal once you have concealment maxed out. Hosing BBs with HE 22.6 kms away in a cruiser is novel, and effective. The Hindenburg I have not found my mettle with but she's obviously a fine ship.

[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

Because I enjoy every ship and I dont' have enough free XP to jump from T1 to T10 on a line.

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

Because there are other fun ships to play along the way? It's not because the Hindenburg is great that the Roon or the Hipper will be less fun to play with.

The more content the best, I will skip the ships that I don't enjoy if I can and play the ones I like until I get bored.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

Hindy is a great ship and a hell of a lot of fun to play. That being said, Roon and Hipper/Eugen are also really good ships (especially after today with their bow armor buff).

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Thats why in the past WG tried to make tier 10 expensive to play so people have reason to play another tier. I mean personally if I had prem camo on my tier 10s and combined that with my premium account from WOT gold I could earn xp and silver to just free xp whatever I wanted. No need to play anything else. But thats not me, I enjoy the journey to tier 10 and like playing multiple different ships, so just having a couple tier 10s wouldnt be as enjoyable for me. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

High Tier play is very standoffish and anyone that sticks their ---- out on the chopping block gets whacked immediately.  Its' kind of frustrating, TBH.

Below Tier VIII+, guys are more willing to close range a bit more because their weapon ranges aren't all so long.

10km torps are far less common.

Not all DDs have 5.9km or less stealth yet.

The potency, reach of all guns are not at their highest as at VIII+

Etc.

You can also probably attribute that willingness to close with targets in Non-High Tier matches as "not knowing any better," i.e. that Nagato that insists on charging my Scharnhorst.  Nobody wants to stick out at high tiers.  Only DDs have the chance to do so without getting insta-obliterated / focus fired.  Even then, it's dangerous for them with some greater dangers.  Radar, longer ranged Hydro, nothing but the longest ranged Secondaries, long range gunnery, etc.

A good example on the state of high tier are numerous German Battleship Build Threads.  I know some of you guys already know what I'm about to say...  But we get repeated comments along the lines of:

"I've ran Secondary Builds on my German BBs every previous tier.  But it's not working out at Tier IX / X.  What am I doing wrong?"

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RCNW3]
Members
2,002 posts
26,525 battles

Can't say that the German cruiser grind was a bad trip. Think I enjoyed every ship.  Use free exp on Missouri or on the upcoming tier 10 IJN BB... or on the normal stock hull grind. I have a few tier 10 Hindy/Zao/Gering/Kurfurst, all have been pretty good - but one of the worst parts of the grind is the stock hull experience.  This is the point where the free exp is most valuable, to upgrade the ship to playable levels.  

Edited by Panzer1113

Sign in to follow this