You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Valdez_Raptor

Is it just me or is the fire/water contest horribly off balance?

19 comments in this topic

Members
509 posts
14,519 battles

I know it says in the contest description to ensure balance they will suspend registration to one side for a while, but is it just me or did Wargaming drop the ball on this?  I joined the water team, I will state this now, I joined because I like water and the color blue.  I am often ice builds in games, so that was my bias.  

That being said, I was happy water was winning but saw we were winning 3-4 categories at one time 5 for a little bit then knocked back down, but with their balance water team seems to be not just being beaten a little bit but utterly crushed.  

At the time of this posting, battles won a 9% lead.

6.5% lead in ships sunk (this was our longest held lead)

8.7% lead in damage

9.6% on ribbons

9% on exp.

I noticed when the game logged me out on the webpage that fire option was closed.  Yay but at this point the damage is done, they closed water registration for too long.  I won't say it be nice to be winning, but it be nicer at least to have a somewhat close battle.  I already have a kimakaze R.  I am not in it for that, but having a fun contest?  Sure that be nice.  I barely feel like I should play more than normal because its so lopsided and I didn't decide this till today/yesterday.

What do others think?

So far the only thing I could possibly think to make it more equal is a 'compensation' modifier.  Example is if say there are 12 fire people for every 10 water people that the water people get a 20% modifier (that degrades as more people join) to balance the overall stats.  So it makes it like its 12 vs 12 stat wise but its too late for anything like that.

Edited by Valdez_Raptor

[POINT]
Beta Testers
384 posts
6,545 battles

Considering it doesn't really matter who wins, I don't see the point in worrying, and it would seem like more active players are in Fire, since so many people rushed and filled water so much at the event start.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,911 battles

I kinda think the same way as well.  It seems that Water is going to lose no matter what in this round.  There's no way Water can catch up.

[MPIRE]
Banned
1,662 posts
27,586 battles

Can somebody explain this Elements thing to me when it comes to the actual teams?  Is there some kind of bonus if your team wins?  I'm not seeing anything about a reward for being on the winning team on the description.

[CO-OP]
Members
5,197 posts
43,292 battles

If a team wins a round, all its members who earned at least one coin during the round will receive an additional reward: 5 special camouflages in the element's colors. Only coins earned for efficiency in any of the contest categories are considered.

Members of the winning element who earned at least one coin will receive a special achievement, a commemorative flag, and an exclusive camouflage package! Only coins earned for achievements in any of the contest categories are considered.

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

I kinda think the same way as well.  It seems that Water is going to lose no matter what in this round.  There's no way Water can catch up.

Probably lose all three, since it's consistently losing more ground in the current round.

Unless WG 'fixes' it.

Members
1,267 posts
9,468 battles

For a quick look at the status of the match between Fire and Water, where do you look? I can't seem to find a link for it?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

Can somebody explain this Elements thing to me when it comes to the actual teams?  Is there some kind of bonus if your team wins?  I'm not seeing anything about a reward for being on the winning team on the description.

There is no bonus I am aware of.  It's just fun bragging rights over your buddies/rivals/enemies.  Some folks are talking that way too seriously.

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

The event may be somewhat of a failure as far as the teams go, but to be fair I don't see how that could have been prevented. You want to give people the choice but then you also want to keep some form of balance, these are not 2 goals that fit together well.

I don't think Wargaming deserve the hostility some people direct at them, they're trying something out, Trying implicitly implies a chance of failing. If it does fail miserably as some of us predict, they'll likely try something different next time, if every time they fail they get nothing but boat loads of ship from the community we'll probably end up with no events at all in the long run.

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,062 battles

Don't worry, boys.  Yes, Fire was OP, but it has now been fixed.

I just got back from vacation, and joined Water.

The tides will now turn.

See what I did there?

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,882 posts
2,681 battles

I love the delicious irony of Team Water people complaining about the teams being rigged, since several top clans tried in the very beginning to rig the contest for Team Water.

• Cool 1

[WREKR]
[WREKR]
Members
455 posts
21,301 battles

Considering it doesn't really matter who wins, I don't see the point in worrying, and it would seem like more active players are in Fire, since so many people rushed and filled water so much at the event start.

Yeah nothing to worry about.

Interestingly enough, I had been planning on joining Water team, but when I came to register around noonish EST last Thursday, Fire team was behind so I joined that instead.

Members
337 posts
957 battles

Maybe you water guys have a bunch of trash players? i mean you all did jump on the water train really quickly. Have fun with your potatoes.

• Cool 2

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles

All I know is that I saw a lot of water fist bumping and bravado at the start and now they're getting their asses handed to them on a flaming platter. 

Just sayin...

• Cool 2

[IN3PT]
Beta Testers
1,703 posts
6,511 battles

I'm suspicious that water's early lead garnered it an undue amount of attention from bots and perhaps more casual players looking to glomp on to the "winning" side

Add to that any regulars who saw the top clans pushing for water and reflexively choose fire to be contrarian (that's at least how I chose fire) and there might be a "quality gap" in the bulk populations(if not at very top) that favors fire.

That or it's because we have slak_. With him, team fire's meme arsenal is so far beyond anything water can hope to manage that we're winning purely on superior morale

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

Pretty sure this contest design is bad because it's doubly demoralizing. The level of grind required for the personal reward is very high (filthy casuals who just barely get the 37k container every day need not apply /s), and the collective scoring gives a very poor sense of personal agency (you don't feel like your own effort has any effect on the bar).

Personally, all I'm getting from this contest is a feeling of being burned out.

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

flaming platter. 

WP

Pretty sure this contest design is bad because it's doubly demoralizing. The level of grind required for the personal reward is very high (filthy casuals who just barely get the 37k container every day need not apply /s), and the collective scoring gives a very poor sense of personal agency (you don't feel like your own effort has any effect on the bar).

Personally, all I'm getting from this contest is a feeling of being burned out.

I played more than usual this week, I still haven't broken 200 coins, People have to stop looking at it as if everyone was supposed to get the ship tbh, that clearly wasn't the intent of the event. Not every mission, not every event is meant to be completed by everyone, if everyone could do it than it'd be little more than a participation prize and thus far less desirable.

The fact that there are other things in the coin shop is also a pretty clear indication that not everyone is meant to burn their whole earnings for the event on that ship. I for one will be happy with 2-3 speed boost modules to slap on DDs and perhaps the french cruisers if I decide to grind them out.