NoZoupForYou

Interview with Sub_Octavian (WG) - Talking Balance, Power Creep, Premiums and more

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

30 posts in this topic

We covered a lot of ground.  A ton really.  He gave some great insight.  Wish I could write his answers here in addition to the video but I'm at work at the moment.  It's a good listen though :)

Looking forward to watching this when I get home from work.  Thanks, Zoup.

Also posting as a reminder to watch later.

Sub_Octavian's open communication with his playerbase is greatly appreciated (couldn't care less about what happens with Reddit), and it's also refreshing to see Flamu isn't the only CC with whom he'll do live interviews. :great:

Watched the whole thing about an hour and half ago. I don't like that WG wants to take away standard battles from certain maps. Standard battles are better then Epicenter...

Domination is my favorite mode... Wish I could play that 24/7.

Great interview Zoup and Sub_O! Thank you both for the time and effort you put in on this. You both addressed some questions that I think the community had, whether or not some may like the answers remains to be seen. Can't make everyone happy, but at least you (Zoup) putt the ball on the T and Sub_O knocked it out of the park with regards to explaining in detail, what he could (NDA/gag-order/etc.)

:honoring: to you both

I like standard battle.  Sometimes the whole capping business is stressful.  It's enjoyable to just chart your own course around the center line and begin the mayhem.  Though I would like some factional warfare for once.  Or some co-op mode that gave decent rewards.  Random battles is where the credits are at, and it gets old.

Because they are working on the controls for both BB and CV. If you've noticed, controls for each occupy much of the available screen and in some cases, keys do different things for each ship. As interesting as it would be to drive one I wouldnt want to use most of the keys on my keyboard to do it!

I enjoyed the interview a lot.  The big question I wish that zoup would have asked Sub_O, is how much do they think clan content is going to impact the population available for standard match-making?

It was a good listen, thanks for doing the interview Zoup!

As for standard battle, I do enjoy it from the perspective of how it changes team movement.  Domination usually splits into two groups to cover caps, Standard the fleets that win tend to stay together.  I would love to see a battle mode with spawns starting at a closer range but with an initial cyclone.  Things that would shake up the routine.  I hope we see more weather effects soon. :yes_cap:

Just..... don't try and pronounce foreign names.

You can't do it.

Those sounds are phonemes that don't exist in English. All you're doing is making everyone uncomfortable.

Source: I have an unpronouncable foreign name

can we have it in text? i absolutely hate listening to stuff...

also he has no shame if he tries to explain that it's not the case that some premium ships like leningrad are miles better than their free sisters like minsk

Also posting as a reminder to watch later.

Sub_Octavian's open communication with his playerbase is greatly appreciated (couldn't care less about what happens with Reddit), and it's also refreshing to see Flamu isn't the only CC with whom he'll do live interviews. :great:

The hubris of this forum is amazing; the WoWS subreddit is much less toxic than this place.

I wonder why wows doesn't have converted bb/cv ise

Image result for ise class battleship

Because WG hasn't figured out how to use hybrid carriers yet.

Tone was in the game for a bit, but was removed.

All in all, nothing much of interest

Settled statistics.... That means, nothing will change before months

Game-play.... well, not much on that actually. Nerfing and boosting ships is not game-play. So they introduced a mechanics to cure OWSF (which did not cure it), adding a huge penalty to DDs, which makes the overall game-play much more passive. We see more russian DDs in game now, less cap contests, one sided games...And no comment.

But it is good because an OP cruiser is now balanced !!!!

I must say I am disappointed by the questions that don't seem to hit what really matters (who cares about premiums honestly.... what about game-play and promoting Team-play !).

But to end on a positive, the idea of having an in-game chat to be able to communicate with someone outside the battle is indeed a great idea. 

Edited by PicknChew

But to end on a positive, the idea of having an in-game chat to be able to communicate with someone outside the battle is indeed a great idea. 

Well if you are in a Clan you are normally on Team Speak or similar chat software. That would make using in game chat rather busy but having options are good I guess.

Well if you are in a Clan you are normally on Team Speak or similar chat software. That would make using in game chat rather busy but having options are good I guess.

yes you are right.

But I think the idea is to have some "texting" with people not in battle. So you can Div after you finish more easily

Edited by PicknChew

Good to hear that the PVE missions are coming but I for one am losing interest in the game due to how rinse and repeat it is.

The hubris of this forum is amazing; the WoWS subreddit is much less toxic than this place.

That's because it's absurdly moderated and full of bots.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:24 AM, NoZoupForYou said:

We covered a lot of ground.  A ton really.  He gave some great insight.  Wish I could write his answers here in addition to the video but I'm at work at the moment.  It's a good listen though :)

One, I'd like to thank you for posting this. Second I'd like to comment on some things; "gimmick" is not a good word to use as it applies a handicap of sorts and not in a positive way.  An appropriate term would be "niche" which emphasize a particular role or capability. Perfect example is in WoT british tanks have high accuracy high penetration guns and Soviet tanks have low accuracy, low penetration high alpha damage cannons; there is no difference in consumables between national tank lines. This also should be the case with ships.

In regards to maps, I am surprised and difficult to believe encounter game mode was more popular than bastion. The sole problem with bastion was the gdmn observation towers could not be attacked; leaving capping ships exposed. Otherwise I sincerely enjoyed the game mode and would like More strategic significance to capturing a base; aka AI airfields and repair stations.

In regards to to the dynamic music, it really robs the player of certain tracks . wows has a great deal of good tracks and they are restricted from the player simply because he hits something or takes a hit: not fare.

I am surprised nobody touched on the topic of WGs plan to limit damage con. Limiting such a consumable would have drastic effect even on the Russian servers. Limiting damage con would have catastrophic effect at lower tiers where most ships have less than 30k. 

Otherwise keep up the good work.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:49 PM, DSTROYERTHESECOND said:

Hey

I wonder if it would be possible to use it as a normal BB but use the aircraft portion as if it had say 2 dual catapult fighter aircraft, so 4 fighters in the air at once, with maybe 2 additional fighters in reserve when the launched aircraft are shot down.  There would be no torp planes or dive bombers as the mechanics are so different but it could make for an interesting premium, that would have an interesting capability and yet with the big guns, act just like any other BB already in game.  Just a thought.

Pete

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, DSTROYERTHESECOND said:

I think they should work just like cruisers scout planes work but instead of one it be a squadron of planes up at a time and the player just not have control of them. it would work the same way scout planes and fighters work giving the bb more protection from attacks. CVs of course still have the option to strafe them out of the way. just makes CV play a little more interesting.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:34 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I wonder if it would be possible to use it as a normal BB but use the aircraft portion as if it had say 2 dual catapult fighter aircraft, so 4 fighters in the air at once, with maybe 2 additional fighters in reserve when the launched aircraft are shot down.  There would be no torp planes or dive bombers as the mechanics are so different but it could make for an interesting premium, that would have an interesting capability and yet with the big guns, act just like any other BB already in game.  Just a thought.

Pete

I could see bombers working,  have them work like World of Warships Blitz or simplify it even more.  Clicking the button launches the bombers and then clicking it on a target orders them to attack that target.  Torpedo bombers...could work but I wouldn't want to see more then two torpedo bombers launched in that fashion and the auto-drop would have to be adjusted.  I think it could be a cool gimmick but it would require some balancing issues to make sure it isn't over powered.  Still,  it would give certain ((Very rare)) ships an advantage against BB's and make AA a bit more relevant.