• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

231 posts in this topic

Hello!

( ive only been playing since November, so i could be off about this )

Since the last Ranked season ended, ive notice a large number of people who have the Live by the stats mentality. The reason i bring this up is because the last match i just played, a teammate had pulled up our entire teams stats and singled me out because my stats in my Sims werent that great. He had them all pulled up in less than 30 seconds into the match.  I hadnt even said anything in chat. I didnt do anything to provoke him. He went on about how '' you need to learn how to play your ship ''. Aaaaaand he went on and on and on. Ill be honest, im not the best player, but im getting better with time. Even if the stats dont look like it, i think im doing better.

I mostly play BBs, but have a few DDs and CAs ( im on T8s in USA, T7 in Germany, and T6 in Japan. )

So now i ask you, Why is this a thing? Ranked is over for now. Why does he ( and others ) have to give myself/team grief just because im not doing well with this ship in CASUAL battle. Now if this was in a ranked match, he would be justified( not really ) in giving me crap about me and my ship. But its not, its casual. Plus in my opinion stats in this game are dumb. Why is it such a big deal?

Im here to have fun. But, It all really depends on RNGesus and if im having a good day. But Its not always a good day and well... you know RNGesus... 

ok Mini rant over. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you and Good Hunting Sailors!

Don't worry about it IMO. I had Missouri player from Popular clan call me some names because I used HE in my NC (him being a bow on and angled)  when it was down to me and Grobe against him and a Kutov hiding behind a mountain.  Burned him down to 330 hp before he (Irony) burned me down.  Some want damage stats.  I like to play to win the match.

1) Stats allow people to see how well they play the game relative to others, to find areas for improvement, and to track their progress over time. And yes, people care about PvP Randoms: Ranked uses very specific ship tiers, people play only few "meta" ships (if they play at all), and Ranked battles are not available most of the time anyways. 

2) Some people use stats to flame others. This isn't because player stats are available; it's because these people are jerks. Remove stats, and these jerks will complain about something else.

3) You can block messages from a user while in game. Tab -> ctrl+ right click -> disable messages from a user. This also is helpful when someone is spamming chat with shortcut commands or with map pings

I have no idea lol. What makes someone think they can lecture someone about their gameplay without even seeing them play? What makes them think doing it at the beginning of a match is good either?

I'll always say that if someone has something constructive to say during a match, then try not to take it personally and consider if the advice they are giving is valid; you can always ask on the forum after. Otherwise try not to let individuals like this person bother you. :honoring:

3) You can block messages from a user while in game. Tab -> ctrl+ right click -> disable messages from a user. This also is helpful when someone is spamming chat with shortcut commands or with map people pings

Oh i know, i have to use that alot. almost every other match it seems.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't worry about it IMO. I had Missouri player from Popular clan call me some names because I used HE in my NC (him being a bow on and angled)  when it was down to me and Grobe against him and a Kutov hiding behind a mountain.  Burned him down to 330 hp before he (Irony) burned me down.  Some want damage stats.  I like to play to win the match.

Anybody who complains about being HE-spammed by other BBs is a wimp who can't handle the fact that other people have a brain, nothing more.

I keep tabs on my own stats as a metric of personal improvement.  I always try to keep raising the bar for myself, and I use stats to see how far out of practice I get after the typical breaks from the game.  I only bring stats up of any form in-game to dismiss claims of being a bad player or to get the sub-50% WR troll who keeps bashing the team after his death to shut up.

Edited by TenguBlade

I'll always say that if someone has something constructive to say during a match, then try not to take it personally and consider if the advice they are giving is valid; you can always ask on the forum after. Otherwise try not to let individuals like this person bother you. :honoring:

Thats the stupid part, he wasnt even being constructive. he was only bashing me. I dont mind constructive criticism, hell i want it. if it will make me a better player, ill take all i can get,

Posted (edited) · Report post

2) Some people use stats to flame others. This isn't because stats are in game; it's because these people are jerks. Remove stats, and these jerks will complain about something else.

And this is the duplicitous edge we walk. Show your stats, and if they're sub par like mine, they will ALWAYS single you out and ridicule you in front of everyone on both sides (Had this happen about 5 times), hide your stats and they call you a coward. There is no winning.

My favorite thing to do with these people is to tell them stats don't matter at all. God does that piss them off!

Edited by Zero_Kelvin

Pretty much boils down to the mirror argument, with a dash of "no class". They don't have the same goals as you, they're there to get big numbers and/or win. The stat-shaming is an expression of their frustration; some can keep it to themselves, some can't.

Just because it's random battles doesn't mean you shouldn't be trying to win. I hate the argument that you can just play like crap because LOL ITS CAUSAL XD

NT6LVHM.jpg

Perhaps reply, "If you're such an elite player, perhaps you should quit wasting your time kicking my teeth in and go sink reds.  Or are stats so unimportant that they take a back seat to giving me grief?"

Pretty much boils down to the mirror argument, with a dash of "no class". They don't have the same goals as you, they're there to get big numbers and/or win. The stat-shaming is an expression of their frustration; some can keep it to themselves, some can't.

And this is the duplicitous edge we walk. Show your stats, and if they're sub par like mine, they will ALWAYS single you out and ridicule you in front of everyone on both sides (Had this happen about 5 times), hide your stats and they call you a coward. There is no winning.

My favorite thing to do with these people is to tell them stats don't matter at all. God does that piss them off!

hahah, those are my thoughs exactly. Every time someone tells me Level/Stats matter, i always think Stylosa once told me... LEVEL DOESNT MATTER. in this case stats, but it still works.

I can understand bringing up stats if you're, y'know, doing anything dumb, or giving bad advice. Then, they're using your stats as evidence to back up what they're saying. The fact of the matter is, your performance, or lack thereof, affects other people in the match. People who want to win. 

Just because it's random battles doesn't mean you shouldn't be trying to win. I hate the argument that you can just play like crap because LOL ITS CAUSAL XD

I know its casual and i try,but some times the cards are against you no matter what you play. But if i see someone who actually can work with me and i with him/her, we can use a little thing called Team Work and win the game. 

A) Comparing WoWS to tic-tac-toe?  Really? 

B) OP didn't say he plays like crap.  But he shouldn't get badgered because his win rate is under 60% and he's sailing a Tirpitz, either.

I can understand bringing up stats if you're, y'know, doing singing dumb, or giving bad advice. Then, they're using your stats as evidence to back up what they're saying. The fact of the matter is, your performance, or lack thereof, affects other people in the match. People who want to win. 

The Match had JUST started. i hadnt even had a chance to do anything right or wrong. Plus ive been having a few bad streaks in my sims lately. So what? Everyone has bad streaks now and then. 

I think Stats are best used for self evaluation. I've never shamed anyone based on stats, but I have erupted a few times over how people are playing. You should take such outbursts with a grain of salt, or report them when they're especially grievous. Don't let them affect you, and always seek to improve.

I'd also like to remind others that 1 person stat shaming doesn't make stats bad, it makes the person being a b-hole a b-hole.

Self improvement starts at quitting this game and getting more serious about life matters that really count.

Yes, I do this for fun.  It is a game.  It is a hobby.

If it becomes an obsession, then it becomes a problem.

NT6LVHM.jpg

Not sure that a casual player = a player that doesn't try hard or doesn't want to win.

I enjoy the game, I play it for fun and I don't go through a Rocky training montage before settling down to play.....but I do want to win; that's why I play this game. :honoring:

A) Comparing WoWS to tic-tac-toe?  Really? 

Judging by how bad most players are at this game i can come to the conclusion that tic-tac-toe would probably still be to hard for them.

Personally I chose sometime ago to make my stats private. Not that I'm ashamed of my play or win ratio but any info you can deny your opponent aids you in battle. How so you ask? Well if someone sees you have a 80% win ration in a certain ship they may adjust their play accordingly. In other words it's the same reason us ole gear heads called a good car that was fast down the 1/8 of mile but didnt advertise that fact a sleeper. Be the sleeper, an unknown never let the enemy know you. I have seen matches were players were singled out right off by the team because they were thought to be the biggest threat. Stats are not everything as they can be padded and they are so many factors that play into the whole picture. I would say anyone that's played over 1000 games and are in higher tier mainline ships have a pretty good handle on the game. Even a broken clock can be right twice a day so never underestimate anyone no matter what anyone says. Most of all have fun don't sweat trash talk after all its just a game.

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day so never underestimate anyone no matter what anyone says. Most of all have fun don't sweat trash talk after all its just a game.

Amen to that Sir.

Stats have a place in the game, especially if you want play it in a competitive element and teams / guilds / clans, etc. want to be able to select the best players, but people who proceed to lecture you on how to play the game before the match even begins need to get over themselves and get a life. It's an anonymous free to play pixel ship game and anyone and everyone can play it. 

Block them, or just ignore them.

The only time you will see me bring stats into anything "in game" is simply when someone starts hounding me for whatever reason. Even then I usually just ignore them and report them without saying a word.

gYPfe3a.jpg

Edited by Wulfgarn

Stats have a place in the game, especially if you want play it in a competitive element and teams / guilds / clans, etc. want to be able to select the best players, but people who proceed to lecture you on how to play the game before the match even begins need to get over themselves and get a life. It's an anonymous free to play pixel ship game and anyone and everyone can play it. 

I had 2 T7 ships at the begging of the last ranked season. i could have just went in and tried and probably failed. But i didnt play it, i didnt want to ruin the matches for those who are really good and let them down. So i sat it out. Maybe next season ill play it. 

Edited by Gen_Jack_Oneil