You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Strom

Why do people play a wargame only to run and hide from a fight?

46 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

I have noticed that like world of tanks, players always like to hide in the back, rarely be aggressive.  Now I know it is in the nature of the game that a player will 95% of the time target the ship (or tank) that is closest to them.  Which makes aggressive play impossible with uncoordinated teammates in random battles.  I played Clan Battles because it was a massive increase in player skills compared to random battles.

BUT, there is no need to play a cruiser that hides behind BBs or islands or move out of range, for BBs to hug the edges of the map.  For Destroyers to hide every........Oh right they are supposed to do that! Never mind most DD players are doing right :).    Lately I have been in a string of battles that my teammates  keep thinking NOT to take control of ANY zones seems to be the way to win.  That running from the other side seems to be a tactic.  Well in real wars yes yielding ground can be a tactic, but face it folks we ARE playing a game.  We do not REALLY die like my father's friends who served in WW2.  Today he will not eat crab as he did body duty on Iwo Jima.  Why do we still have this horror of "Can't support other players because I might scratch that fancy new paint job and suddenly realise I died in my chair playing a game?

It is not just in Wargaming games that I see this behavior.   I belong to the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and there, with live combat I see groups yield ground and exhibit this same behavior.  

Just remember it is a game! Your not going to die!  So next game support your fellow cruiser, battleship, destroyer and yes even the Carrier :)  You will do more damage as a group together in an area then trying to solo a fight.  Pick another ship and stay with them fire at the same ship they are and you will see that you CAN get into a fight and truly have fun!  So you get sunk! Big deal!  Do not be afraid to support your friendly player.

Beta Testers
1,529 posts
1,148 battles

B..but muh pixel paint on muh pixel boat will get pixels scratched off if I get close! And if mug pixel paint gets pixel scratched, then I'll never be a unicorn!! I don't care that I have to pay the same service cost whether I have to repixel muh pixel paint or not! I can't get it pixel scratched!!

• Cool 1

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

You answered your own question. Closest target gets focused down, sometimes by enemies they cannot see nor fire back against. Torps also punish people that push hard.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

Why do people play cautiously? Because getting deleted isn't fun, get burned to the waterline isn't fun, and getting caught in a torpedo storm isn't fun. People play cautiously because it's usually the correct thing to do. You can complain about that all that you want, but it doesn't make them wrong or you right. Why don't people contest the points? Bad situational awareness, and not paying attention to the mini-map. It might seem complicated, but it really isn't. Other than the one or two guys that you'll see streaking off into an empty quarter at the start of a match, most players that end up out of position were in the right position initially, but then stayed there too long and did not progress with the flow of battle.

• Cool 2

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

I never figured out how so many people figured they should hit the "Battle" button so they could run and hide. 

Because the emphasis with the game is stats. Players are judged and sometimes ridiculed because of their stats. Everyone's afraid of failure based on the stats and how they'll look to others?

No. 
  • Cool 1

Members
2,765 posts

I play my T1 cruiser like a cross between a sub and a DD. I'm not well liked because of my tactics of surprise and ambush. I'm supposed to sail out into open waters, shoot one boat while being killed by 3,4, or 5 boats.

If a swat team is assaulting bad guys, what would you think of one of the team running out into the open, shooting at one bad guy while being whacked by 4 bad guys? Would you consider that correct methodology?

I play to win, and my team has the best chance at winning if I am alive to the end of the match. Shooting boats is a means to the goal: WINNING. Shooting boats is NOT the goal.

Members
1,515 posts
8,453 battles

I never figured out how so many people figured they should hit the "Battle" button so they could run and hide.

No.

hcm2920905091a774e1008.gif
Edited by Hangoverhomey

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,557 posts
15,232 battles

You can be cautious without playing scared. Taking cover is different from hiding and hoping someone else will do something. Combining fire power is not blindly following other ships in hope that you will not be focused.

Edited by chewonit

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

I've actually seen people, in chat, go into full panic mode about fear, being scared and not wanting to die... and they did not appear to be in jest but actually afraid, scared... So for some players I think it takes a while, a whole lot of games to finally break through their personal barrier and actually engage the reds aggressively. 

Too often though that breakthrough ends up in a solo yolo attempt... multiple times... then reaping what little rewards they can from that tactic, they settle back into a more comfortable zone of semi-camping to full-tilt camping. 

I still insist WoWS/WG could do more to train players the "right" or "appropriate" way to play the game, which would result in more players staying aboard and the game growing. Give limited time on "rail shooters" so they can practice marksmanship... that'd be a start. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

To paraphrase Patton, you don't win a battle by dying, you win by making the other guy die.

So sit back far enough to live, but not so far back as to allow the other guy to not die.

• Cool 1

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

I play my T1 cruiser like a cross between a sub and a DD. I'm not well liked because of my tactics of surprise and ambush. I'm supposed to sail out into open waters, shoot one boat while being killed by 3,4, or 5 boats.

If a swat team is assaulting bad guys, what would you think of one of the team running out into the open, shooting at one bad guy while being whacked by 4 bad guys? Would you consider that correct methodology?

I play to win, and my team has the best chance at winning if I am alive to the end of the match. Shooting boats is a means to the goal: WINNING. Shooting boats is NOT the goal.

I feel you are losing the point of playing a game when winning is all that is important.  Guess you are like Trump who pushed down, while skiing, his kids so he could win.  Games are to be fun as well.

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

They see content creators do it to get epic games, so they wait back for their meat shield now.

Map design favours sitting back. Aggressor forced to be exposed while turtles get to dish out clean shots.  Really map design is the biggest factor.  They cause funneling instead of flanking.

[RLGN]
Members
19,141 posts
35,181 battles

hcm2920905091a774e1008.gif

So, the downvote is exploding into a lot of... 'blue' votes? What does blue mean? Thought green was an upvote?

(-)

The WoWS comparison to WoT I see a lot is a mob of ships all hiding behind one island...

Like a bunch of heavy tanks all hiding at some corner, or a cartoon elephant hiding behind a ridiculously thin tree, they aren't fooling anyone, and they're just waiting to loose the game.

Members
2,765 posts

I feel you are losing the point of playing a game when winning is all that is important.  Guess you are like Trump who pushed down, while skiing, his kids so he could win.  Games are to be fun as well.

Believe me, I've had enough team mates that don't want to win as bad as they want to shoot another boat. Why they don't satisfy that longing in co-op is beyond me.  What is the point of playing a battle game pitting team against team, since WINNING the battle is apparently NOT the point? As to fun, who goes "YaY!! We lost, but I shot a boat to half health! Yay!"
Edited by theLaalaa

[PRVTR]
Beta Testers
417 posts
4,897 battles

Because the emphasis with the game is stats. Players are judged and sometimes ridiculed because of their stats. Everyone's afraid of failure based on the stats and how they'll look to others?

Very true, so many folks are so "Stat" oriented they are extremists.  In WoT I saw many a top player from the top clans stop playing if they lost more than 2 in a row so as to "Not destroy my stats"  WG has sadly developed that culture with the ranking boards.  They seem to not place that much importance in this game though.  Yet for "hardcore" players it is a habit hard to break I bet.  I have seen more than one player have instant access to another player's stats to ridicule a player in chat in the middle of a battle.  Many WoT clan players had 2 computers, one for stat info or what ever.   I was just trying to say have fun.  

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

What I would like to see is maps that make hiding behind an island a vulnerability.  Pushing to cap gets you cover, but if you sit there, enemy can get to a side.  So need to keep moving to prevent being surrounded.

Members
433 posts

Goodness, could it be because every single game you play is a variant of last team standing, where if you die your fun is over + your ship is locked until the game ends?

Nah it couldn't be.

Heaven forbid i get an imaginary scratch on my imaginary boat.

Members
887 posts
1,625 battles

Goodness, could it be because every single game you play is a variant of last team standing, where if you die your fun is over + your ship is locked until the game ends?

Nah it couldn't be.

Heaven forbid i get an imaginary scratch on my imaginary boat.

Also depends on the ship too.  Russian cruisers, push equals dead. Dead equals not contributing.  Again map design.  Park two BB behind island or catapault gun cruisers.  Get DD spotting.  Whoever moves out first might lose.  Seen it actually a fair bit.  One team does agress proper, but get hammered trying to position onto island or getting the cap.  Then turtle team moves out, recaps and kills.

People turtle cause hate to say it, done right it works well.

Edited by Vaporisor

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

I have noticed that like world of tanks, players always like to hide in the back, rarely be aggressive.  Now I know it is in the nature of the game that a player will 95% of the time target the ship (or tank) that is closest to them.  Which makes aggressive play impossible with uncoordinated teammates in random battles.  I played Clan Battles because it was a massive increase in player skills compared to random battles.

BUT, there is no need to play a cruiser that hides behind BBs or islands or move out of range, for BBs to hug the edges of the map.  For Destroyers to hide every........Oh right they are supposed to do that! Never mind most DD players are doing right :).    Lately I have been in a string of battles that my teammates  keep thinking NOT to take control of ANY zones seems to be the way to win.  That running from the other side seems to be a tactic.  Well in real wars yes yielding ground can be a tactic, but face it folks we ARE playing a game.  We do not REALLY die like my father's friends who served in WW2.  Today he will not eat crab as he did body duty on Iwo Jima.  Why do we still have this horror of "Can't support other players because I might scratch that fancy new paint job and suddenly realise I died in my chair playing a game?

It is not just in Wargaming games that I see this behavior.   I belong to the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and there, with live combat I see groups yield ground and exhibit this same behavior.  

Just remember it is a game! Your not going to die!  So next game support your fellow cruiser, battleship, destroyer and yes even the Carrier :)  You will do more damage as a group together in an area then trying to solo a fight.  Pick another ship and stay with them fire at the same ship they are and you will see that you CAN get into a fight and truly have fun!  So you get sunk! Big deal!  Do not be afraid to support your friendly player.

what Guild/house??

Members
149 posts
14,509 battles

Well, mostly because people in this game are hypocrits, and we as humans have a tendancy to recognize patterns. 

I.E.

>You push up, expecting your team to back you up

>They don't, you get singled out and die.

>You do it a few more times, with the same result. So instead of throwing enough sh!t at the wall and hoping it sticks, you switch tactics

>You sit back, play it smart, because if the team isn't going to help you push, you aren't going to.

>Get b!tched at in chat for camping in the back like a "F*cking n00b"
>Get yelled at and told to push

>The pattern repeats.

The service reduction assisted A LOT in the camping aspects. But at Tier 9-10, you need to do massive damage numbers (Topping 150k in the FDG and Kurrywurst) to make any sort of profit. And if you get singled out, you can't do that. Then the game becomes more of a chore than an enjoyment. People need to realize that we are here to have fun, and win. And winning means working as a team and not letting each other get singled out.

But what do I know, right?

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

Well, mostly because people in this game are hypocrits, and we as humans have a tendancy to recognize patterns. 

I.E.

>You push up, expecting your team to back you up

>They don't, you get singled out and die.

>You do it a few more times, with the same result. So instead of throwing enough sh!t at the wall and hoping it sticks, you switch tactics

>You sit back, play it smart, because if the team isn't going to help you push, you aren't going to.

>Get b!tched at in chat for camping in the back like a "F*cking n00b"

>Get yelled at and told to push

>The pattern repeats.

The service reduction assisted A LOT in the camping aspects. But at Tier 9-10, you need to do massive damage numbers (Topping 150k in the FDG and Kurrywurst) to make any sort of profit. And if you get singled out, you can't do that. Then the game becomes more of a chore than an enjoyment. People need to realize that we are here to have fun, and win. And winning means working as a team and not letting each other get singled out.

But what do I know, right?

given the substance of your analysis, MORE THAN MOST!!!!!

[K0]
Members
132 posts
14,218 battles

I have been trying to hang back with the GROUP but I find that when the ENEMY finally shows up I am being shelled by ships that I haven't even seen yet.  I have called them GHOST SHIPS in the past, and that along with being OUT RANGED by guns is a frustration for me.  I am still having fun in TIER 1 but I must be getting close to hopping over into TIER 2.  I don't know how to check what level I am in ( Tier 1).

Played last night and couldn't hit a barn with a sledge hammer.  Night before I couldn't miss.  Weird !!

I have also, just for fun tried to sneak around the back side.  Usually I run into multiple ships and get slaughtered.