Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
phydaux42

"Brawler" BBs?

8 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
19,141 posts
35,181 battles

New Mexico and Arizona, but more because they're both armed with shotgun main-batteries than because of their secondaries. Angling helps them brawl better than tiny guns.

I've heard Montana can benefit from a secondary build, but don't know for certain, as I don't have one.

Members
1,515 posts
8,453 battles

I wouldn't bother with secondary builds with the usn bb's they are not brawlers. I go survivability/DC adrenaline rush and concealment builds, works well for me.

The guns are punchy and the armor is good when angled but HE spam/fires is a very big threat.

If you can cut down the amount of fire you are dealing with and also limit the visibility range of those cruisers who will spam you from afar, it allows you to get into an area of denial.   Your guns are god within this medium range, if you are anything in that range not paying attention, god help you.

[F-U]
Members
205 posts
3,248 battles

I wouldn't really recommend a full secondary build. You're better off going for an AA build since it travels much higher up the line and they're pretty similar. So BFT + AFT is pretty much an AA build, the only real difference between a full out aa vs a full out secondary build is manual aa vs manual secondaries, but I would suggest going for a hybrid build on usn bbs with some fire prevention or even stealth.

Members
147 posts
11,659 battles

German BBs for sure.   The Yamato is probably the only other BB that can spec for manual secondaries and have pretty good results.  My experience so far with USN bbs is stealth build and stay mid range and use their hard hitting guns.  

[TULIP]
Members
952 posts
12,669 battles

You just have to look at the specs on wiki or in port based on how you play.  I did 2nds buffs on NC & Iowa and maybe Montana and liked it.  I have 250+ signal flags for close quarters kills.  My USN BBs brawl it up and 2nds help the cause.

I've personally never spec'd manual 2nds on USN BBs, and think sacrificing accuracy for 2nds range is a bad move above T8.  NC is a great brawler, try it on that.  The lower tiers are so slow you have less control over getting close, of course I played them before the Germans were out.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

First off you got it wrong USN BBs are definitely not brawling battleships.  German Battleships of the Kriegsmarine are the Brawlers of thss game and no secondary builds don't really help much with US BBs.

No, he isn't.  The Standard-types are very good at brawling and largely depend on it to function well at the tiers they exist at - the only ships they shouldn't be brawling are German BBs.

The New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado are all very capable brawlers.  So too, are WyomingNew York, and Texas if you angle instead of bow-on rushing.  All of them have thick armor and the former three are very difficult to citadel due to how low those spaces are.  Their guns are very punchy and will demolish anything at close range.  The caveat with them, as I mentioned, is to avoid brawling with German BBs - being difficult to citadel is different from being completely immune to it as the Germans essentially are, and they usually outclass same-tier USN BBs up close in some way.  Gneisenau has lolpen power, stupid amounts of speed, and torpedoes; Scharnhorst has much higher RoF, along with the same high speed and torps as her sister; Bayern can lolpen you while you will not be able to return the favor; Konig has higher rate of fire; and Kaiser has individually-superior 12" guns to Wyoming.  That said, they can brawl basically anything else and win.

Secondaries are even less clear-cut.  No USN BB until at least T8 can even say that SBM2 is a viable choice.  New Mexico has a decent secondary bank, as does Arizona, but secondary builds yield very little reward for BBs below T7 and their range is meh - better now, but still somewhat short for my taste.  Colorado also suffers from somewhat-short range (but benefits more from a range build since she's more accurate than either of the T6 BBs) and most importantly doesn't have the HP to close into brawling distance, let alone last long in one.

NC is where the range build becomes totally useless, and you can spec for either AA or secondaries without really giving up anything of use from then on.  I've used secondary-build North Carolina on PT with some success, but since I didn't keep her on live, I haven't done so here.  Iowa is not suited to prolonged brawls with her speed - even after the citadel is lowered, the problem of the superstructure and hull yielding 10000+ normal-pen damage to just about anything doesn't go away, and this more than anything else is what cripples Iowa's defensive capabilities.  Secondary build is, in theory, no less viable for her than NC, but her playstyle won't allow you to get the most use out of such a build - AA build will have about as much use.  For Montana, I finally went secondary build (still kept APR2 over SBM3, and doing otherwise is not something I recommend) on a USN BB, but even so it's inferior to the others.  Higher RoF per side is more than made up for by the greater number of barrels other T10 BBs bring, and unlike the others, Montana has only 6km base range.

The 5"/54 guns, however, are excellent.  They have high fire chance, good accuracy, very good gun arcs on the mounts, and a base RoF of 15 RPM.  Montana also has very heavy armor and, despite the high citadel, can easily win brawls against many ships, even Yamatos.  The high citadel, however, is a massive weakness when going up against German BBs that cannot be citadeled, so as always you want to avoid them.  Des Moines and Baltimore are also ships you want to avoid picking fights with unless you're confident you can wipe them out in one salvo or nearly wipe them out.

Edited by TenguBlade

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

Des Moines and Baltimore are also ships you want to avoid picking fights with unless you're confident you can wipe them out in one salvo or nearly wipe them out.

Indeed, be careful if you let either of those 2 get into short range of a Baltimore or Des Moines with a high tier USN BB

agJeX2I.jpg

All 11 of those cits came against a very high HP Iowa and none of Iowa's friends could kill me fast enough before I claimed her as part of a losing effort.  Nose in like a shark and thrash her sides relentlessly.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this