Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
11C2Papa

German or US BB?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

68 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

At tier 7 on German, tier 5 on US line. Have premium BB's for both to train crews. Trying to figure which to focus on, so far leaning towards German, love the 7km+++ secondaries at tier 8 and up. Just looking for suggestions and why people like them or don't like them. I have been more of a CA/CL player - support/snipe etc, but like the durability of BB's, plus landing citadels in a BB is so satisfying. Thanks for any input and suggestions!

Edited by 11C2Papa

Not sure if this is a joke thread, because no comparison between the two.  German line clearly superior - Bismarck one of the most fun BBs out there.  Spend your time grinding here, you can always circle back to US line...

Not sure if this is a joke thread, because no comparison between the two.  German line clearly superior - Bismarck one of the most fun BBs out there.  Spend your time grinding here, you can always circle back to US line...

Not a joke. Like I said, leaning towards the German line from what I have researched, just want to see if there is an argument for the American line. 

Patriotism if your an American is really the only reason

HAHAHA, that is a good answer! Especially considering some of the states I have lived in....Colorado, Texas, Wyoming, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama. I did live in Germany too though.... Edited by 11C2Papa

Not a joke. Like I said, leaning towards the German line from what I have researched, just want to see if there is an argument for the American line. 

German line soooo much more fun, I stoped US at Iowa, sold it - do have a Missouri - do not have real desire to grind to Montana.  Have Kurdfurst, kept Bismarck - great ships, fun play, if you want to play with torps on a BB without paying for a premium - can do that - want insane secondaries, can do that, want to hunt smoke hiding ships in BB, can do that

Edited by Panzer1113

The German line is better, but the US has the best premiums.  Texas + Arizona + Alabama + Missouri  is a heck of a combo to play with one shared commander.   Remember also that they are going to release a tier 10 premium Japanese BB soon. 

Edited by Zim_Xero

The German line is better, but the US has the best premiums.  Texas + Arizona + Alabama + Missouri  is a heck of a combo to play with one shared commander.   Remember also that they are going to release a tier 10 premium Japanese BB soon. 

Tier 10 IJN will be purchased or a contest of some sort?

Do both for fun; that's what I did. The Colorado up has nice +7km secondaries if you add the perks.

German line is easy mode. USN line will teach you armor angling, damage control efficiency, and 'swing your tushy out, fire, and get it tucked back in fast!' before the German line will...

That or you'll grow frustrated about dying so much and go to the German line anyway.

Tier 10 IJN will be purchased or a contest of some sort?

It will cost Free EXP like the Missouri.  Probably will cost 1 million.   If you convert it at 25 to 1 ratio thats about $160.00 dollars.  If you buy doubloons during a 10% bonus period and wait till conversion ratio is 35:1, the cost will be about $100.00

Of course its a 'free' ship if you play long enough to actually rack up that much free EXP without using it.

Actually, the U.S.N. is equal. For example, if an NC goes bow-on to a Bismarck then the Bismarck is pretty much screwed. He had two choices, 1: keep firing with all your guns and risk taking heavy damage or 2: go bow-on in return and be forced to only shoot with the four 15" guns against the NC's six 16" guns firing Super Heavy Shells still capable of doing heavy damage to another tier 8 going bow-on. NC just as good as Bismarck and even better depending on the situation. The Bismarck is just more "idiot-proof" than the NC and the NC has a higher skill cap.

Actually, the U.S.N. is equal. For example, if an NC goes bow-on to a Bismarck then the Bismarck is pretty much screwed. He had two choices, 1: keep firing with all your guns and risk taking heavy damage or 2: go bow-on in return and be forced to only shoot with the four 15" guns against the NC's six 16" guns firing Super Heavy Shells still capable of doing heavy damage to another tier 8 going bow-on. NC just as good as Bismarck and even better depending on the situation. The Bismarck is just more "idiot-proof" than the NC and the NC has a higher skill cap.

well said, and true. The German line, which I've grinded up to the Freddie is easier to play, but the US line is excellent when played as Edselman states. The Colorado has been buffed into a pretty good ship, the guns are nasty, The NC is ferocious with its guns. The scenario painted by Edselman happens quite often, at least to me it does. And I win those with my NC, and now with my Alabama - which btw is a beast! I make Bismarcks turn away and run for cover from my Alabama (virtually same guns as NC). When I land a couple shells and rip 12K from them at a time, they get ascared!

The USN hits harder, but because WG under-modeled their armor so poorly, and made pretty much all their interior spaces the equivalent of brown paper bag'd TNT tinders, it therefore punishes bad play and bad luck absolutely mercilessly, really horrendously.

The German line is easy mode. Due to WG's power creep and dubious design choices in modeling/creating ship behavior, you can be a complete idiot in a german bb; showing broadsides, messing up position, etc etc and still not get smacked down like the hand of god knuckleballed you - like happens to you in the USN line.

If you want BBs, and want more rewarding play, go USN. If you don't want to think about it, play with one hand and fap with the other, go german.

Edited by Hillslam

I sort of have to disagree with that sentiment of the German BB's being the easy mode; then again I'm maining Scharnhorst/Gniesenau in regards to BB's, and both tend to follow alot of the same tactics as the T8-10 USN BB's, where I have to work on angling and not exposing too much of my sides.

The main difference I see is in regards to an engagement, the USN has the advantage once you get past 15 km due to accuracy, whereas once you get closer the Germans will punish you, especially once you get into secondary range. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and in honesty the only reason I focus more on the Germans over the USN is simply because I prefer playing the Axis power lines more than the Allies (IJN/DKM cruisers FTW!)

Both lines are solid. The only problem is the horrendous citadel armor on the Iowa and Montana. Once they fix that, I expect their damage numbers and win rates will go up significantly.

Personally there is no comparison, US BBs all the way.  Nothing I enjoy more than sinking German BBs, like the Bismarck and Bayern in a US BB, or even better, a Dunkerque.

But yes, go the US line, it will force you to learn how to play BBs and not adapt bad habits which German BBs teach you.

Both are very rewarding lines.  Germans are excellent brawlers but suffer at range (mostly) while the Americans are more midrange support.  There's obviously exceptions, but it just kind of depends on what type of play you're after.

So I have Montana, GK and Yamato.

Between USN & KM

Tier for tier I'd say American is best until you hit T9, then it's a matter of preference.  The Iowa grind was one of my favs, but now I'd drive my FDG over Iowa most of the time.  With that, MM will screw you more in USN ships, a CO in a T9 match just sucks.

Like others have said, learn to BB with USN because German is too forgiving on positioning and will promote bad habits.  Until T9 German's have tiny guns, so, there's the trade off.

btw, GK is a damn fun beast for a non-unicum like me.

I'm up to tier 7 with US and tier 5 with German.so far I've liked the US better for me.I'm digging the Colorado and it's beastly guns.lol

Have the GK and Yamato.  Woking up the USN BB line and at the Iowa right now.  German BBs are strong at close range and pretty fun to play.  However they teach u of bad habits of going broadside.  They still eat a lot of penetration damage but guess not as bad as getting citadel.  So far though I enjoyed the NC and also picked up the Alabama.  Both are strong ships and can hold their own. Also it teaches u how to angle and map awareness such as when to turn or should u turn.  Showing broadside in a BB in general is a bad move.   But so far I think it is a matter of preference.  But skill level wise USN BB takes more skill to play it well.  

However they teach u of bad habits of going broadside.  They still eat a lot of penetration damage but guess not as bad as getting citadel.

I do a lot of that damage as they are trying to get in close.  By the time they finally get into effect range against my US BB, they're usually down to 10k of health or so and can't run away, even if they have the superior speed.

I've gone up to the Bismark and the Iowa and I can say that I am loving the USN BBs while kinda hating the german ones. The dispersion on German guns is horrendous and you can't seem to hit crapwith them. I generally always feel better on USN BBs because they have better dispersion/guns. I really think it's a matter of taste/preference since they're both solid lines I just can't really get going in the german one, while the USN on has been a real pleasure.

I have a Missouri I have no desire to have a Montana. I am on the Der grosse in the German side of things. I am liking it a lot since I got the upgraded hull and 420mm guns. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0