Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sabot_100

Radar Jamming

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

56 posts in this topic

I have seen on many threads where many DD player want a Radar Jamming consumable. Probably not on WGs radar for things to add (see what I did there) but I had a couple of questions.

First, how it would work?

1. Nullifies all radar that you are in range of. Interesting team dynamic if it nullifies ALL radar including friendly radar.

2. Only makes you invisible to radar. Less help (or hindrance) to the team.

In either case, the duration should be less than the duration of the radar consumable and might make you flicker in and out instead of complete nullification (sitting still in smoke=BAD). The radar ship would get an RPF-like indicator showing the direction of the jamming ship.

Second, even bigger question is what you would be willing to give up. WG is very unlikely to give you another consumable slot so you would have to decide if the jammer is more important than one of the consumables you already have (anybody want to forgo "Repair Party"?). Really big question if you are operating at tiers where radar is not ubiquitous. 

That's what we need. Counters to counters to counters.

Radar has been my bane as a destroyer. It has exactly 0 counters.

Break line of sight? haha, nope, radar~

Sitting behind an island? haha, nope, radar~

Generally being a destroyer and skirting detection radius? haha, nope, radar~

It's honestly just a trump card at this point, and there shouldn't be any such thing as trump card mechanics.

OWSF was counterable, radar is not. There needs to be a counter, and a proper one at that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm pretty sure radar jamming did not become a technology until the 60s.  So how would World War II destroyers carry this?

Furthermore, it isn't that difficult to nullify the use of radar anyway.  Stay away from ships that have radar, and you're fine.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

It's honestly just a trump card at this point, and there shouldn't be any such thing as trump card mechanics.

OWSF was counterable, radar is not. There needs to be a counter, and a proper one at that.

Really the counter is to wait. If you survive for 30-40 seconds while under fire, you're good.

Sounds silly with a counter of a counter.

Smoke was a counter to being spotted.

Radar (and hydro) were counters to smoke. Hydro is less game changing as it is shorter range.

Why not have a counter to radar?

Still the question of what you would give up.

Furthermore, it isn't that difficult to nullify the use of radar anyway.  Stay away from ships that have radar, and you're fine.

So if you are in a torpedo boat and the red team has lots of radar ships, you just hide in the back? 6.3 just made cruisers even more accurate so getting spotted is even deadlier.

So if you are in a torpedo boat and the red team has lots of radar ships, you just hide in the back? 6.3 just made cruisers even more accurate so getting spotted is even deadlier.

If you run the concealment mod the cruisers are not more accurate than they were before.

Radar has such a short duration that we don't need this.

it also has such a short cooldown that we do.

That's what we need. Counters to counters to counters.

Sounds silly with a counter of a counter.

CjK3fBo.jpg

chP2fXv.gif

Smoke was a counter to being spotted.

Radar (and hydro) were counters to smoke. Hydro is less game changing as it is shorter range.

Why not have a counter to radar?

I find it particularly interesting that you'd list and acknowledge Hydro's weakness without even mentioning Radar's.

adar has such a short duration that we don't need this

As radar ships proliferate, tag-teamming radar becomes more likely (especially in ranked). This gives more than enough time to kill DDs within range. It can take forever (at least it seems that way when under fire) to turn around and run the 2k+ to try and disappear. If the enemy is already heading in your direction, your survival chances go way down.

As radar ships proliferate, tag-teamming radar becomes more likely (especially in ranked).

Which ties up 2 ships, trying to take down 1. And where is the rest of your team during?

I'm pretty sure radar jamming did not become a technology until the 60s.  So how would World War II destroyers carry this?

Actually there was a were WWII methods to jam radar, only problem is there is No Way for DD to use Radar Jamming, only Aircraft were able to do it by dropping metallic chaff into the air to confuse the Radar. 

As radar ships proliferate, tag-teamming radar becomes more likely (especially in ranked). This gives more than enough time to kill DDs within range. It can take forever (at least it seems that way when under fire) to turn around and run the 2k+ to try and disappear. If the enemy is already heading in your direction, your survival chances go way down.

Last I heard only X ships and Missouri have Radar right?

Last I heard only X ships and Missouri have Radar right?

Tier 8+ VMF CA, tier 8+ USN CA, tier 8+ RN CL, Atlanta, Belfast, Black and Missouri.

Radar isn't your problem. Study yours and others replays to see what you are doing wrong.

Which ties up 2 ships, trying to take down 1. And where is the rest of your team during?

great point 

Radar isn't your problem. Study yours and others replays to see what you are doing wrong.

I do study my replays, often in fact.

I'm not a great player and I'm constantly trying to improve.

But in cases where radar ends up getting me killed, 9 times out of 10, it feels like it should not have, if this game was even a smidgen more realistic.

Not specifically a dig against the OP, by why do I get the feeling peeps who complain about radar are trying to fight in open water, smoke or not?

Even if you're a destroyer getting radared from behind an island, if you're positioned so multiple ships can't target you, then stay behind the island until it expires; problem solved. If you're getting tag-teamed; then you shouldn't be there; run away like Sir Robin; like Lert said as well; if two ships are trying to kill you, doesn't that mean one of your allies isn't being shot at? What the heck are they doing in the meantime?

I do study my replays, often in fact.

I'm not a great player and I'm constantly trying to improve.

But in cases where radar ends up getting me killed, 9 times out of 10, it feels like it should not have, if this game was even a smidgen more realistic.

Maybe you should re-evaluate how you end up getting caught by radar without a pre-plan escape route or contingency plan 9 times out of 10. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0