You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
fallanger

USS ALABAMA

24 comments in this topic

[SSG]
Members
32 posts
11,972 battles

I thought the Alabama was rubbish, having seen and heard about its abysmal guns and armor...did it get reworked?

[PSV]
Members
536 posts
22,434 battles

I believe the citadels were lowered.

It's definitely not rubbish. For a BB it's very responsive - which is kind of funny because it has an awesome torpedo belt. It likely won't need it a ton though as it dodges torps better than comparable BBs.

The guns are very hard-hitting, but accuracy is an issue especially at range. I haven't found the accuracy too bad though.

Bow-on it is extremely tanky, like the NC. The big weakness (other than the side citadels) is it has some very thin armour in the back. If you're unlucky and running away you can take some nasty hits.

Members
858 posts
1,811 battles

Basically they just lowered the citadel so it wasn't way up out of the water, a change that they've said will carry over to Iowa and Missouri also.  Maybe already did, I don't have any of those ships so I couldn't tell you for sure.

[F-U]
Members
240 posts
3,458 battles

There has been so much coverage on the Alabama in its final form, use the search function, go to Youtube, check Reddit

[RLGN]
Members
19,403 posts
36,273 battles

I thought the Alabama was rubbish, having seen and heard about its abysmal guns and armor...did it get reworked?

Never heard anything like that; mostly that it was a length-challenged version of North Carolina; and that there was nearly a digital riot when it was first rumored to be going only to supertesters.

Too may people had been to see the actual ship and wanted it I guess; to even let something like that pass...

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

Alabama is a fine ship. Very enjoyable to play. Very happy they dropped her citadel as I'm very confident playing this ship.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
894 posts
3,949 battles

heard about its abysmal guns

Really abysmal? 0.1 difference from NC is abysmal? Zero point one? My god then some ships in this game must be unplayable.

Members
858 posts
1,811 battles

Really abysmal? 0.1 difference from NC is abysmal? Zero point one? My god then some ships in this game must be unplayable.

If you listen to The Great Shamu, every ship in the game is completely unplayable and utter trash, only excepting the uber-l33t ships he anoints.
  • Cool 2

Members
2 posts
20,745 battles

My experience with BB60 has been great. Need to use it's mobility. I can keep moving and put the hurt on enemy.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

I am glad they fixed the credit earning bug it had with co-op 

Members
2,246 posts
2,602 battles

Alabama is amazing.  Likely the best T8 BB in the game right now.

Not even close.

Bismarck is the best by a long, long way.

Alabama is a fine ship though. The guns are just a bit lackluster, but other than that she's good as gold.

[GNSQD]
Alpha Tester
2,746 posts
2,246 battles

Not even close.

Bismarck is the best by a long, long way.

Alabama is a fine ship though. The guns are just a bit lackluster, but other than that she's good as gold.

How are you using Alabama's guns? It may seem strange but I actually prefer the 16"/45 guns found on NorCal and Alabama over the 16"/50 guns of the Iowa and equivalent T8 BB guns. They strike at an angle that just feels right for a semi-aggressive BB push.

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,155 battles

70k average damage and dancing through walls of skillz can never be wrong

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles

Grats, she's fun to play but a cursed ship for me. Doesn't help that I play to aggressively.  And while I heard she has and armored stearing box protecting her aft citadel she is far squishier from behind. Her torpedo beats and torpedo bombers beats are on point.  Like a fast colorado

[REVY]
Members
9,749 posts
7,317 battles

Alabama seems alright to me...

CT3tzau.jpg

Edited by Sventex

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

I believe the citadels were lowered.

It's definitely not rubbish. For a BB it's very responsive - which is kind of funny because it has an awesome torpedo belt. It likely won't need it a ton though as it dodges torps better than comparable BBs.

The guns are very hard-hitting, but accuracy is an issue especially at range. I haven't found the accuracy too bad though.

Bow-on it is extremely tanky, like the NC. The big weakness (other than the side citadels) is it has some very thin armour in the back. If you're unlucky and running away you can take some nasty hits.

• The citadel was lowered
  • Turn times are based on realism, and the fatter ships generally have better turn times IRL.
  • I haven't really found accuracy to be a major issue compared to the North Carolina. They're roughly the same. They're not snipers, but they're not German BBs.
  • The armor in the back isn't showing up correctly in the model viewer. There is a ton of armor back there you're not seeing.

Basically they just lowered the citadel so it wasn't way up out of the water, a change that they've said will carry over to Iowa and Missouri also.  Maybe already did, I don't have any of those ships so I couldn't tell you for sure.

The Iowa, Missouri, and Montana still have the raised citadel. The Alabama and North Carolina are the only post-Standard USN BBs with the correctly modeled citadel.

In LWM's tests the results were fairly negligible.

If you listen to The Great Shamu, every ship in the game is completely unplayable and utter trash, only excepting the uber-l33t ships he anoints.

I was kind of annoyed with his initial review of the Alabama disregarding her simply because of the .1 difference in Sigma. They're very similar in accuracy and the Alabama's torps belt and armor scheme mean she's better protected. If you factor in her turn time she's able to further angle and deflect shells that the North Carolina simply couldn't respond too. He only likes what he likes though, and that's really true of anyone. Everyone should keep that in mind. Just because something works for one CC and not the other doesn't mean the other CC is bad or that the ship will work for you. Try to buy Premiums that match your play style and watch reviews of people using them that way to maximize your value.

The idea that her guns were abysmal was really a false idea thrown out there by some body that didn't like her for reasons I can't really explain. The armor was flawed initially, but was resolved through dev communication here on the message boards that included some lengthy discussion about how the armor was being modeled and what our favored solution was to get her as close to realistic as possible.

After the outrage sparked by her initially being a ST only ship, and the further fiasco of the citadel being incorrectly modeled I think War Gaming really wanted to listen and do right by the community. I applaud S_O and other's being on here and listening.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
284 posts
12,969 battles

It had it's citadel lowered to that of the North Carolina. Yes it does have less accurate guns than those of the North Carolina, but still quite useable and enjoyable. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite ships with it's great AA, maneuverability, hard hitting guns, and fantastic torpedo protection. Has decent credit income. 

Edited by Misfit87

[WOLFB]
Members
1,119 posts
46,769 battles

I have both the bis and Bama. While the Bis has great secondaries, I prefer the main guns of the Alabama!