BladedPheonix

WG should't have removed strafe for tier 4 & 5 CVs last patch.

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Howdy folks, hope you're all having a good weekend!

So I was playing in my Ryojo last night, grinding for my Hiryu, and I managed to get a lot of games where I was facing tier 5 Cvs and completely wiping the floor with them. what was the key factor in every game? I was strafing of course! The reason I'm discussing this is because, although I won every match when we had a tier 5/6 cv games, it felt like a hallow victory. There was no fun in constantly winning hen my enemy can't even perform on a level playing field. There were so many times that the enemy Bouges could have strafed my torpedo bombers and not only save a friendly ship, but maybe even could have turned the tide of the match! I also noticed that when Bouges even did manage to pin down my fighters and get their bombers through, their bombs never hit anything! i can't imagine the frustration tier 5 CV players are going through right now when they face tier 6 CVs, I can only assume it is a total  nightmare!

WG if you wanted to get rid of seal clubing, you should have only removed manual torpedo drops.auto dive bombing at low tiers almost never hits and players can't perform defensive air tactics to defend their fleets. You've basically made tier 4 and 5 CVS useless. Next patch, please strongly consider reintroduce at least strafing for tier 4 and 5 CVS, so that new CV players don't give up because they know that will never win against  a tier 6 CV!

I'm not the only 1 who thinks this! Aerroon (a player from I think the EU?) posted a video about this 4 days ago! Link posted below

What do the rest of you all think? Should WG allow tier 4 and 5 CVs to be able to at least strafe again?:unsure:

please comment and discuss below

until next time,

I'll C'ya on the Sea!:honoring:

edit: spelling errors:hiding:

Edited by BladedPheonix

My Dive bombers have decent hit rate with auto drop bombs, of course I send all bombers to attack a target at same time so they get a lot of ordinance dropped on them lol.

Personally Strafe should either be removed or modified for all tiers. One mistake and the enemy wipes the floor with you and they are able to do this several times, make it all ammo and it will be super powerful but at the price of having to return to the CV for rearming.

Wow.  Ive been winning with CVs but rarely play them cause its boring.  Today is the first day I ever heard of strafing.  Also heard you can manual bomb drop... didn't know that either.  Why doesn't the game interface mention it.  Either they should put it in the game (including command interface) or take it out.

Personally Strafe should either be removed or modified for all tiers. One mistake and the enemy wipes the floor with you and they are able to do this several times, make it all ammo and it will be super powerful but at the price of having to return to the CV for rearming.

Sounds like what non CV players feel about manual drops, one mistake and your back to port, even if your mistake was being spawned on the edge of the area with little friendly AA around.

Personally the straffe mechanic needs to removed from the game. It is unrealistic and does not even make sense. Strafing ships, perhaps to suppress AA, yeah, that would make sense. But strafing planes, that is silliness. 

Sounds like what non CV players feel about manual drops, one mistake and your back to port, even if your mistake was being spawned on the edge of the area with little friendly AA around.

Yeah, I am not much of a CV player but think about the mechanics and how powerful it is particularly when the user gets several strafes before have to rearm. You will also notice I did say removed or modified, the current form is an I win button just as open water invisifiring was in its own way because few ships were able to get away or close the range to unmask the invisifiring ship. They could have done that change differently but it was needed.

The issue with strafe now is that it is so unpredictable.  In carrier view, you can not tell when the opponent is setting up for a strafe because they can just have their fighters locked on to your bombers then transition immediately into a strafe.  There is also the issue of how far the strafe reaches.  Often times, your planes will be shot down a almost a km away by a strafing fighter group.  It is also often times hard to see a strafe come through as a lot of the time, the enemy fighters aren't even shown shooting.  If you can see the fighters shooting and you vector your bombers through that path is one thing, but when it looks like the fighters aren't even shooting yet actually are is another thing.  In a strafe the fighters should always be shown shooting, or at least they used to be.

On the offensive side of strafing is the issue of the fighters not actually following the path.  If you have your fighters turn into a strafe, they will often severely over compensate the turn and rather than have a straight line like an "I" you can get strafes that look like "S" were they miss everything completely.  

It's a bad mechanic.  Personally I would rather see the interaction that lower tier fighters have when strafing higher tier bombers.  The strafe never completely wipes, but leaves the bombers at 40-60% of their original numbers and because the fighters are lower tier they have more ammunition to strafe more.  Of course, removing strafing all together or giving it meaning in someway other than melting planes would also be accepted.

Strafe should be removed for the game, period. It's a broken "gimmick" mechanic in a vain attempt to balance a game that is inherently unbalanced.

AT THIS POINT, DO YOU THINK WARGAMING DEV'S ACTUALLY THINK ABOUT THE CHANGES THEY MAKE TO THIS GAME CONCERNING CARRIERS?

Personally the straffe mechanic needs to removed from the game. It is unrealistic and does not even make sense. Strafing ships, perhaps to suppress AA, yeah, that would make sense. But strafing planes, that is silliness.

Strafe should be removed for the game, period. It's a broken "gimmick" mechanic in a vain attempt to balance a game that is inherently unbalanced.

strafe vs planes = butt stupid. strafe vs ships sounds good... would make AS builds a bit more fun and rewarding.

Sounds to me like the 'Strafe' mechanic requires a complete reassessment & rework.

WG removed strafe ability from T4-5 CV to prevent high level CV player to actually play at low tier because it ruin experience for new player but also because the AA is almost inexistant at low tier . Now why these person play CV at low tier ? It's because reward sucks and at T8 and above you start loosing money (unless you run ALL signal and camo with premium account) but also because the AA is becoming more and more deadly. You just have to press a single button and you can neutralise a ship. Unlike other ship, CV have a limited amount of aircraft and once all their aircraft are down...well you can just ram (in other word kill yourself) .

To me getting rid of strafe at low tier is stupid and will not make the new CV captain better. If they really wants to get rid of seaclubbing then they have to apply some change on the reward AND on some GAMES MECANIC. Seriously, in order to have a "decent reward" as a CV player you have to do a Kraken, Confederate, High Caliber and some Devastating Strike. And even if you manage to do all these things, your base XP is the same as a cruiser who have done a Devastating strike and 80K Damage (probably around 1500 XP). A cruiser who would have done the same things would have a minimum of 2200 base XP. Same things about credit . An Hakuryu/Midway would have lost ton of credit if not running Premium account and all camo+signal flag while a Yamato would have made what ? 350 k credit for the same things ?. 

About the game mecanic i do understand how frustrating it is to be targetted by a CV but i also know how it feel as a CV player to see your entire squadron being taken down by a single cruiser with a single button. Maybe some change could be done with AA but i don't have any idea for the moment. But actually if the reward is changed and CV have same reward as other ship, i think it would solve the seaclubing issue.

I will join the "chorus"? of carrier captains glad to see strafing removed from T4-T5 carriers.  I think it should be removed entirely because it adds so much randomness to the results (e.g. get distracted for just a few seconds and an enemy fighter group can wipe out whole squadrons ) and that just unbalances the game.  The mechanic also prevents the escape of equal speed enemy aircraft- once you get into a straight line chase, but are just beyond the range where combat is forced, the chasing enemies can be given a strafe order where they ACCELERATE to catch up and perform the strafe.  Again, utterly unrealistic and unfair.  

It was added to layer on another 'skill' based ability for carriers.  Because...you know...commanding multiple squadrons and manual drops for bombers and scouting and map awareness and ship awareness and AA bubble awareness wasn't enough,  now lets add on another attack that we have to be keenly aware of lest we make ourselves completely open or lose out on entire squadrons.  

Had I my druthers,  I'd see it removed completely.  Barring that,  it needs a rework.  It needs a damage cap and a greater downside then temporary loss of control.  Its almost as bad as the instant delete button that is defensive fire.  At least you have to aim it, I suppose.

I recently started playing IJN carriers having mostly played all the other non-cv ships for about a year or so. I have seen the light and realise what everyone is complaining about. 

First of all, since manual aim for t4/5 cv's was removed that's ok. However I realised that, as an IJN cv player and you are faced against a US cv and they are AS spec, you are basically screwed. Sure you can try to snipe their cv, but your first strike will never kill them... that is if you make it past their TWO fighters compared to your ONE, and you will HAVE to sacrifice one squad of your fighters and maybe one squad of strike planes.

Also, there is no point in kiting US planes over friendly AA because t4/5 AA is atrocious, I've done this many times with my fighters engaged with US ones over friendly ships and I always lose the squad.

Having only strafe introduced to t4/5 would make it slightly more balanced in the sense that it will allow the IJN cv player to kill US fighters without having to directly engage and lose their squad.

That or buff IJN fighters, because right now it is ridiculously frustrating when you have t6 fighters (with fighter health increase upgrade on ship) in the zuiho, but they are basically worthless against t5 bogue fighters.

I can only imagine this disparity between fighter capabilities are exasperated at higher tiers.

or you could just give IJN cv's more backup planes, and slightly faster service time, or more fighter squads.

otherwise IJN fighters will never be able to 1v1 US fighters

I believe strafing should either just be removed all together for every tier or make it where it expends all the ammunition of a fighter squad, not 1/5 of it. Fighters are a nightmare even in tier 4 to 5 as Bogue's with fighter loadouts will just hound you at the expense of not doing any damage themselves. In tier 6 and onward, fighters and bombers alike meet dismal ends when faced by a competent CV player who gets a good strafe. I am not one of these players, and find my planes getting torn out of the sky in one swipe because of a lucky run. It honestly needs to go.

Except you only get one manual drop, and, if you miss, you gotta wait 1:45 + Flight Time to do it again. And, there's always back-of-the-map repositioning. T10 and T9 ships do this all the time.

I think that Strafe needs to be replaced by surface attacks. Rockets for USN/RN, and Surface-Strafing (the actual definition of the word "strafe) for the IJN.

So uh,  I want to report on this.  I was floating around in my Konig Albert earlier when a Hosho decided to target me.  I mean aside from the obvious "He sat in my AA bubble for over a minute trying to position his torpedo bombers while I ineffectually tried to shoot him down" I finally got to see the new lack of manual drops.  It was awful.  The Albert is an absolute turtle but even so I managed to dodge all but two of his torpedoes.  In two passes.  So sixteen torpedoes.  

Neither side of that was fun.  On the one hand having the weakest planes in the game be untouchable ((Even had a fellow BB assist with AA fire for the first run.  Not a single shot down)) is frustrating.  On the other hand,  it had to be frustrating for him to watch a lumbering T3 BB wobble in between his slow,  widely placed,  far-launched torpedo's with barely anything to show for it.  

Course the flipside isn't fun either.  Having planes deleted upon entering AA bubbles is not fun,  and having low tier BB's deleted by manual drops isn't either.  CV's are...kind of a mess right now.

I can only imagine this disparity between fighter capabilities are exasperated at higher tiers.

or you could just give IJN cv's more backup planes, and slightly faster service time, or more fighter squads.

no-004.jpg

Oh, yes, the disparity is totally exasperated at higher tiers, with the IJN having more and better fighters than the USN.

I recently started playing IJN carriers having mostly played all the other non-cv ships for about a year or so. I have seen the light and realise what everyone is complaining about. 

First of all, since manual aim for t4/5 cv's was removed that's ok. However I realised that, as an IJN cv player and you are faced against a US cv and they are AS spec, you are basically screwed. Sure you can try to snipe their cv, but your first strike will never kill them... that is if you make it past their TWO fighters compared to your ONE, and you will HAVE to sacrifice one squad of your fighters and maybe one squad of strike planes.

Also, there is no point in kiting US planes over friendly AA because t4/5 AA is atrocious, I've done this many times with my fighters engaged with US ones over friendly ships and I always lose the squad.

Having only strafe introduced to t4/5 would make it slightly more balanced in the sense that it will allow the IJN cv player to kill US fighters without having to directly engage and lose their squad.

That or buff IJN fighters, because right now it is ridiculously frustrating when you have t6 fighters (with fighter health increase upgrade on ship) in the zuiho, but they are basically worthless against t5 bogue fighters.

otherwise IJN fighters will never be able to 1v1 US fighters

They aren't SUPPOSED to 1v1 them.  If you want to go AS then they are supposed to 3v2 them.  Or 4v3 them later. Or balanced to balanced,  2v1 them.  At T5 the Zuiho has a massive advantage in seaward attack while the Bogue rules the skies.  Past T5 it all changes and the USN are never going to be as good as the IJN again.  IJN can do everything at once while the USN has to pick between either being okay at killing planes or being okay at killing ships.