Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KDEstroy

Why would anyone play destroyers?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's clear that destroyers were meant to rely on their stealth, speed, and torpedoes, but recent patches have hit destroyers really hard. First the RN CLs with their crazy radar, then radio location finding, then the stealth firing nerf... destroyers are currently close to unplayable. With radar ranges longer than torp ranges, and the gun bloom as long as its gun range, it is just about impossible for DDs to survive into late game and still carry out normal destroyer duties such as capping and scouting. And of course, the CVs are few and far in between, which means that destroyers can't hunt carriers, because they aren't present most of the time.

I don't see why anyone would play destroyers when they can play cruisers and flush out destroyers hiding in smoke. Or eve better, play a battleship and spend half the game at max range sniping at other battleships. Some people will argue that skilled players can still used smoke and islands to their advantage, but that is beside the point. The best destroyers in the game right now, the Russians and the Germans, don't rely on stealth, they rely on speed and guns. So basically, after the recent 6.3 sledgehammer, destroyer are just smaller cruisers. They lack an unique identity, and they are extremely unforgiving to play.

Edited by KDEstroy

Well... Gearing's still a good play. Kami R is still good... and obviously, the entire RU line of DD is still able... Germans I have yet to play... probably won't... my Gearing / Kami R and SheNoKnowMe are enough... oh yeah, I have two RU too. 

If you're wasting time hunting a carrier in a game with CVs present, you're playing the ship incorrectly... :facepalm:

Wrong.  Pretty much all of it, so I'm not going to tackle it line by line.

It's clear that destroyers were meant to rely on their stealth, speed, and torpedoes, but recent patches have hit destroyers really hard. First the RN CLs with their crazy radar, then radio location finding, then the stealth firing nerf... destroyers are currently close to unplayable. With radar ranges longer than torp ranges, and the gun bloom as long as its gun range, it is just about impossible for DDs to survive into late game and still carry out normal destroyer duties such as capping and scouting. And of course, the CVs are few and far in between, which means that destroyers can't hunt carriers, because they aren't present most of the time.

I don't see why anyone would play destroyers when they can play cruisers and flush out destroyers hiding in smoke. Or eve better, play a battleship and spend half the game at max range sniping at other battleships. Some people will argue that skilled players can still used smoke and islands to their advantage, but that is beside the point. The best destroyers in the game right now, the Russians and the Germans, don't rely on stealth, they rely on speed and guns. So basically, after the recent 6.3 sledgehammer, destroyer are just smaller cruisers. They lack an unique identity, and they are extremely unforgiving to play.

q3jVM2F.jpg

It is more challenging to play a DD, imo, with all the changes over the last six months or so. I'll give you that much.

But I've managed 75% wins in them today, and a little better than that yesterday. And pulled off a couple Krakens today, as well. So DD play is not exactly dead for me. I have some boats that I consider better than others, and tend to play those. But that has always been the case, really.

Respects,

Am

Because there fun, Because the game is Fun no matter what ship you play!!!!!!!

It's clear that destroyers were meant to rely on their stealth, speed, and torpedoes, but recent patches have hit destroyers really hard. First the RN CLs with their crazy radar (1), then radio location finding (2), then the stealth firing nerf... IJN and USN (3) destroyers are currently close to unplayable. With radar ranges longer than torp ranges, and the gun bloom as long as its gun range, it is just about impossible for IJN and USN (3) DDs to survive into late game and still carry out normal destroyer duties such as capping and scouting. And of course, the CVs are few and far in between, which means that destroyers can't hunt carriers, because they aren't present most of the time.

1.  Top 3 RN CL/CA get radar + the Belfast, in these forums it pays to be specific.

2.  If players want to spend 4 points on a situational skill, good for them.

3.  FT;FY 

DDs are the highest skill floor, highest skill ceiling class in game. They punish poor play but reward skilled play.

They need to reduce how long the gun bloom lasts on DD's I think, but other than that I see no real issue with them.

If you're wasting time hunting a carrier in a game with CVs present, you're playing the ship incorrectly... :facepalm:

well hunting a carrier in a game where CVs are NOT present is REALLY doing it incorrectly.

They need to reduce how long the gun bloom lasts on DD's I think, but other than that I see no real issue with them.

Yeah, now that I'm being shot at by 5 ships rather than 2 that would pretty much balance it. 

Actually, drop bloom to about 10 seconds and radar to 6 km and that would fix it. DDs would be balanced.

LOL Who seriously uses radar on their British cruisers? That's suicide not taking smoke.

Also, I'm doing destroyers better than ever. If you are constantly firing your guns and expecting to be stealthy as a destroyer, you are doing it wrong.

I'm going to use Yugumo to try to put the Detection Range in perspective. In 0.6.2 my gun range was 11.5 km with the upgrade to Gun Control and I had a detection of 9.4 km when shooting. In 0.6.3 they bumped my range to 12 km and detection to 12 km as well. Well I was less than comfortable with that so I thought, what can I do to make the ship feel better for me? So I looked at why it was feeling uncomfortable and realized it was very difficult to disengage due to the gun bloom duration (which I think should be shorter) and the extended range. Since I can't change the bloom I can control the range and dropped my Gun Control back to stock so my range went to 10.9 km. How did it affect my ship after 0.6.3? It dropped my gun range by 600 meters and increased my detection while firing by 1.5 km over 0.6.2. Okay this build feels more comfortable to me. Point being you can rant about the change or figure out why you don't like your DD and change the ship or captain skills (hey they discounted those after the change so you could). 

Radar is a pain, esp if a the reds have a good CV as well. The stealth firing is only a problem because of how long the DD is visible. If it was say four seconds, no big deal. Still find the RU good for gunboat play, the US for capping and mixed play fish/guns in that order, the IJN is not pretty much all cap/fish.

People play destroyers because they are THE most influential surface class when it comes to winning.

People play destroyers carriers because they are THE most influential surface class when it comes to winning.

Kamikazi R and USN DD line - both with concealemnt - are about the only DDs I now play, mostly just to keep things mixed up.

To anger BBs by setting them on fire with my Russians or torpedoing them with everything else.

did any really read this rant i stop after the first line when he starts crying about RN CL having radar...... ok when i see a RN cl take radar over smoke then you may have a leg to stand on but as it is now you dont

LOL Who seriously uses radar on their British cruisers? That's suicide not taking smoke.

Also, I'm doing destroyers better than ever. If you are constantly firing your guns and expecting to be stealthy as a destroyer, you are doing it wrong.

A division of AmericanDD/RN-CL? In a serious tone, it is a gamble. If you use radar, then you need an impressive situational awareness, need companions able to read when you need their help, and hope there is no other ship in the enemy team with radar.

Is the same as with the Kagero's torpedo reload boost. It is not as good as Shiratsuyu, and you sacrifice smoke. It is a gamble in Kagero too, but when used right, you never note the difference.

See this:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/119726-what-exactly-is-dd-role-after-063/page__view__findpost__p__2906746__fromsearch__1

After the patch I found that I have to be very passive initial 5-10 minutes. Especially soviets with their poor concealment I pretty much stick with the fleet. I found for the most part other classes are not harassing me so yey :):):)

In general don't use guns at the start. Torps only and don't go too far from fleet.

It is very sad as the start of a battle is super boring. I usually load some YT vids to watch while my fleet is slowly getting into range. I find there is very little for DDs to do now in the initial 5-10 mins.

Later on yes you can play as before once ships start shooting at each other and you are not getting focused by everyone.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0