Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wulfgarn

Notser on lower tier manual drop 0.6.3

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

36 posts in this topic

The more WG faps around, trying to fix CVs, the more I realize that the game would just be better if they were removed entirely.

The real CV seal clubbing problem is strafe and this happens in every tier. When executed properly it is an I win button completely destroying everything in its path.

When people jump into their favorite BB at these tiers, Seal Clubbing is fine.

When people jump into their favorite low tier Cruiser, Seal Clubbing is fine.

When people jump into their favorite low tier Destroyer, Seal Clubbing is fine.

When people jump into their favorite low tier Carrier, Seal Clubbing is suddenly not fine...

M2bZq.gif

When people jump into their favorite low tier Carrier, Seal Clubbing is suddenly not fine...

M2bZq.gif

To be fair, A Hosho/Zuiho is way more capable than a Nikolai.  And way more frustrating to newer players.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The more WG faps around, trying to fix CVs, the more I realize that the game would just be better if they were removed entirely.

​Then they might as well remove USN crusiers and even USN battleships. Every problem currently in the game and one of the main reasons for the DD stealth nerfs is the low CV population as both Mighty Jingles and Noster have stated.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake

​Then they might as well remove USN crusiers and even USN battleships. Every problem currently in the game and one of the main reasons for the DD stealth nerfs is the low CV population as both Mighty Jingles and Noster have stated.

And destroyers. First had to nerf their torpedoes, now having to nerf stealth fire. Apparently they're unplayable, and should just be removed. Then there's no real point for cruisers to exist, so we might as well remove them. Then there's no reason for battleships to have a rudder, might as well remove that.

And destroyers. First had to nerf their torpedoes, now having to nerf stealth fire. Apparently they're unplayable, and should just be removed. Then there's no real point for cruisers to exist, so we might as well remove them. Then there's no reason for battleships to have a rudder, might as well remove that.

That's what it feels like its coming too lol. Everyone thinks every class is OP but their favorite, it is ridiculous. Individual ships may be underpowered / overpowered to their same tier contemporaries, I have yet to see one class that can completely dominates the other​. There might be scenarios that favor another class over another, but on most maps (Ocean exempt) that can nullified by using the terrain to create advantages.

Removing cvs is not the answer, as they would cause more issues. Both the videos I linked go in depth as why.

The cv isn't the problem, it's the talent or experience level of the captain driving it. Because the ship in the right hands is so OP, if the opposing captain is less skilled, the game is already over. Any other line of ships can have an afk and effect the outcome less. In my past two z-23 games (within the hour so my blood is still hot) the combined score of our teams cv totals vs enemy were, Greens 1 ship sunk, 13 planes shot down. Reds, 4 sunk, 33 planes shot down. 400% & 253% increased performance. In games like this, it solely depends on if your cv driver is good or not, the remaining 11 don't matter. I had two awesome games, sinking 7 total ships. Because our cv drivers were worthless it cost me personally at least 4-6k xp, close to 400k in credits, and 16 flags were used.

An afk BB can still spot, use secondary's, shoot down planes, absorb damage and occupy the enemy for a period of time. A bad cv is an auto loss.

M2bZq.gif

CVers earned the hate they get

CVers earned the hate they get

Ummm... Really? How? By playing well? By having to have skill? Oh, wait, that's what other classes are supposed to have.

You're just salty. Salty seaman. Salty Battleship.

The cv isn't the problem, it's the talent or experience level of the captain driving it. Because the ship in the right hands is so OP, if the opposing captain is less skilled, the game is already over. Any other line of ships can have an afk and effect the outcome less. In my past two z-23 games (within the hour so my blood is still hot) the combined score of our teams cv totals vs enemy were, Greens 1 ship sunk, 13 planes shot down. Reds, 4 sunk, 33 planes shot down. 400% & 253% increased performance. In games like this, it solely depends on if your cv driver is good or not, the remaining 11 don't matter. I had two awesome games, sinking 7 total ships. Because our cv drivers were worthless it cost me personally at least 4-6k xp, close to 400k in credits, and 16 flags were used.

An afk BB can still spot, use secondary's, shoot down planes, absorb damage and occupy the enemy for a period of time. A bad cv is an auto loss.

​While I agree a good cv driver facing a bad cv driver dose increase your team's chance for success, It doesn't guarantee it. I have been shut down by decent crusiers, while their cv was AFK.

The issue is most teams don't play as a team, I usually see some team work early on from the enemy teams, with those potatos that isolate themselves. After killing those ships, I often see the enemy team relax and start spreading themselves out so I can pick routes between their AA auroras. That's what usually happens.

On the flip side, a crap top tier bb is almost worse then a crap cv, for as soon as hes dead, their goes like 20% of your teams HP pool.

Played two quick games with my seal-clubbing Hosho (16 point captain) after the update. Both games had two carriers per side, mixtures of Hoshos and Langleys.  First game my partner Langley and I wiped the enemy from the skies early and our team was still crushed.  Don't think I even landed 4 torpedo hits, and certainly had zero sunken ships.   Second game was a victory with more torpedo hits, but still only one kill.  Normally on such a victory I would expect 2-3 sinkings from my Hosho.

Observations: 1)the limiting to auto-drop only is a huge nerf to the effectiveness of the attack aircraft.  You get fewer torpedo hits because the drops are far enough away that they are easier to dodge, and at least for the Japanese planes, the torps no longer converge at range (for max damage against stationary targets).  I didn't fly any dive bombers, but the larger aiming circle has to cut their effectiveness, too.  The ability to use TWO TB squadrons to produce cross-drop patterns will probably mean the Japanese carriers will suffer less than the American CVs.  And that cross-dropping pattern is something the low tier Japanese CV driver will need to learn/relearn and get good at.

2)I think they eliminated the fighter strafe, too (It would not work when I sent the command, showing a little error symbol (?) near the cursor).  I'm quite OK with that, as I think the strafe is very unrealistic against aerial targets and can completely unbalance an aerial matchup with one skilled/lucky strafe.  Since I had a max-upgraded Hosho fighter squadron (5 planes and all the bonuses I could stack on them) I had no trouble wiping out <5 plane enemy fighter squadrons in dogfights.  Likewise, no enemy attack aircraft squadron lasted long against attack (and I was getting more attacks per sortie since I wasn't burning ammo by trying to pull off strafes).  So it appears from this limited data that while the nerfing of the attack aircraft is real, it has relatively buffed the lethality of well trained and equipped fighter squadrons. 

3) Wondering how this is going to work when there are 4 carrier games with Tiers 6 and 5 carriers involved.     

Edited by Rafinesque

So, let me get this straight: Wargaming buffs AAA over the months until carriers at Tier 6 and above regularly have most of their planes eaten for lunch if the player isn't both lucky and skilled. Naturally, this results in far fewer carrier players, and those who remain stick to tiers 4 and 5, where their planes have some chance of surviving and they might be able to contribute to a battle. Oh no - players wanting to play at lower tiers where they can be effective. The horror. Everyone should be forced to play at maximum tier all the time until they reach a point where they stink at the game so they can then quit. Great business model... right...

To "balance" this - carriers being useful at some tier and enjoyed - Wargaming removes manual drops and strafes from the low tier carriers. This not only ensures that they are also useless and no fun to play, it removes the needed training players would normally get making manual drops and strafing. By the time they gain access to those skills at a higher tier, they will suddenly also have to contend with far strong AAA, making it much harder to learn these critical skills.

Total failure, Wargaming. You managed to - again - kill CV play, but do it in a unique way that also hinders the development of CV skills. Nice double-whammy. May as well remove them from the game and rename this "World of Battleships."

So, let me get this straight: Wargaming buffs AAA over the months until carriers at Tier 6 and above regularly have most of their planes eaten for lunch if the player isn't both lucky and skilled. Naturally, this results in far fewer carrier players, and those who remain stick to tiers 4 and 5, where their planes have some chance of surviving and they might be able to contribute to a battle. Oh no - players wanting to play at lower tiers where they can be effective. The horror. Everyone should be forced to play at maximum tier all the time until they reach a point where they stink at the game so they can then quit. Great business model... right...

To "balance" this - carriers being useful at some tier and enjoyed - Wargaming removes manual drops and strafes from the low tier carriers. This not only ensures that they are also useless and no fun to play, it removes the needed training players would normally get making manual drops and strafing. By the time they gain access to those skills at a higher tier, they will suddenly also have to contend with far strong AAA, making it much harder to learn these critical skills.

Total failure, Wargaming. You managed to - again - kill CV play, but do it in a unique way that also hinders the development of CV skills. Nice double-whammy. May as well remove them from the game and rename this "World of Battleships."

I can't readily recall which Youtuber said it,  but one of them mentioned that they thought WG was trying to kill off the CV population until they could properly balance them.  The more I see from WG the more sense this makes to me.

I can't readily recall which Youtuber said it,  but one of them mentioned that they thought WG was trying to kill off the CV population until they could properly balance them.  The more I see from WG the more sense this makes to me.

​like all good conspiracy theories.... it sounds logical. *adjusts tinfoil hat.*

​like all good conspiracy theories.... it sounds logical. *adjusts tinfoil hat.*

No that's the thing.  You and I both know that it doesn't SOUND logical at all.  But with nerf after nerf and no clear timeline on the actual adjustments it just makes you wonder.  No other class has its advanced mechanics removed because of seal clubbing.  No other class has an automatic defense mechanism constantly buffed to counter them.  No other class is so heavily dependent on both stats and personal skills.

Yes,  I realize that they aren't trying to kill the class.  Its just a little frustrating.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It is logical to me, cause as long as cvs need fixing, people will slowly stop playing them till WG actually dose something to fix it. (removing manual drops was not the way to do it.)

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake

It isn't so much that they are trying to kill the class but with every change they make the class becomes less and less accessible to average players. So taking manual drop from 4 & 5 actually opens the class to new players but it also removes the best learning tiers for manual drop creating an EVE like learning cliff at tier 6.

It isn't so much that they are trying to kill the class but with every change they make the class becomes less and less accessible to average players. So taking manual drop from 4 & 5 actually opens the class to new players but it also removes the best learning tiers for manual drop creating an EVE like learning cliff at tier 6.

agree with your assessment.

I do agree that tier 4 & 5 random battles should have only auto drops because AA is limited on a slot of ships, manual drops at those tiers should be usable in co-op for learning purposes.

i agree with byebye. I recall a battle i had at lower tier with a German cruiser. I had equipped hydro to hunt dd's. I had the best AA hull you can get. did not mean bupkiss. Their CV literally fallowed me around and harassed me to no end. I literally had to beach myself on an island so he could not drop his torps right on top of me "because wthis arming distance anyway? lol" He then preceded to chase me around and tried to hammer and anvin kill me which i just dodged the first time. The entire time i could not shoot ships, dd's or even anything but run. He finally got me on his second run with a double point blank torp run..... tell me how i could not hate him? tell me how this is fair?  

i agree with byebye. I recall a battle i had at lower tier with a German cruiser. I had equipped hydro to hunt dd's. I had the best AA hull you can get. did not mean bupkiss. Their CV literally fallowed me around and harassed me to no end. I literally had to beach myself on an island so he could not drop his torps right on top of me "because wthis arming distance anyway? lol" He then preceded to chase me around and tried to hammer and anvin kill me which i just dodged the first time. The entire time i could not shoot ships, dd's or even anything but run. He finally got me on his second run with a double point blank torp run..... tell me how i could not hate him? tell me how this is fair?  

Nothing at tier 4 and not much at tier 5 has great AAA, though. It's supposed to be the Tier 1 for CVs.

After playing 5 or so games with my Bogue (default loadout), I'm starting to doubt removing manual drop changed anything, considering I can still smack Cruisers, Battleships, and sometimes even Destroyers around with my torp drops. Heck, if it wasn't for the fact that 5 and 6 is still considered low tier, I would be beginning to wonder if we even need manual drop to begin with (which we do because people aren't idiots at tier 7 and up). Then only difference is the remove of strafe, which ironically hurts the 3 classes more since there's no easy way to stop an alpha strike against anything now.

M2bZq.gif

Because at least you can see the enemy BB, CC, DD but you can't see the CV because it's off hiding behind an island fapping with one hand while auto dropped torps on your BB . . .

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0