You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Doomlock

Color Pics of Japanese Submarines. (Image heavy)

Which colorized photos do you want to see next?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Choose below!

• Japanese Destroyers 1 (1900-WWI)
    • Japanese Destroyers 2 (Minekaze, Kawakaze, Kamikaze, and Mutsuki)
    • Royal Hellenic Navy (Greek Navy)
    • Royal Thai Navy

8 comments in this topic

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,220 battles

Hi guys! The poll showed you guys want to see submarines added to WoWs in color so that's what we are going to see today. New poll above for the next series. As always, the pics are from:  http://blog.livedoor.jp/irootoko_jr/ Due to the number of pictures, the post will require a comment.

Let's get this show on the seas!

SiIoef4.jpg

We start off with the Type A Kō-hyōteki-class midget submarine, HA-19. She is hauled up on Oahu beach during salvage ops by the US. She grounded on December 7, 1941 attempting to enter Pearl Harbor during the attack and was discovered the next day. She is restored and on display at the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg TX.

gWHcm4n.jpg

The sub, Ha-201 at Sasebo, May 28, 1945. She was one of the high speed coastal boats constructed to defend Japan against the inevitable Operation Downfall, the invasion of the Home Islands. Only 9 were completed before Japan's surrender and all were decommissioned and scuttled after the war.

QicIYW6.jpg

I-3 at Yokosuka, 1930. She was a Type J1 sub and was the start of Japan's large 'cruiser subs' built before the war. I-3 was ambushed by USN PT boats and sunk by PT-59 and PT-44 on December 10, 1942 off Guadalcanal.

0fK9Cr4.jpg

I-7, at Kure Naval Port, May 31, 1937. I-7 and her sister I-8 were the largest subs built by the IJN before the war broke out. She sunk 3 ships, the Dutch merchant ship Le Maire, the RMS Glenshiel, and the USS Arcata. She was damaged by USS Monaghan (DD-354) at Kiska on June 21, 1943 and was later scuttled on July 5, 1943. Her sister I-8 is a little infamous for the war crimes committed by her crew under the captain Tatsunosuke Ariizumi.

eBLPaYN.jpg

I-26, on sea trials at Hiroshima Bay, October 1941. She was one of the Type B1 cruiser subs, and the class enjoyed good success early on in the war. One of her sisters, I-19, is well noted for firing one of the most successful torpedo spreads of the war, firing 6 torpedoes at USS Wasp (CV-7), hitting her with 3, sinking her; the other 3 went on for another couple kilometers and struck USS O'Brien (DD-415) and USS North Carolina, sinking the destroyer and damaging the battleship. I-26 herself, crippled USS Saratoga (CV-3) with one torpedo on August 31, 1942; and on November 13, 1942 she sunk USS Juneau (CL-52) with the loss of all five Sullivan brothers (The birthplace of the Sole Survivor policy).

pW0fq1Z.jpg

I-38, on sea trials at Sasebo, January, 1943. Sister to I-26, her service was not as spectacular and on November 12, 1944 near Yap, she was sunk by USS Nicholas (DD-449).

nMrGwJf.jpg

I-18, at Sasebo, 1940. She was one of the Type C cruiser subs that served the IJN during WWII. I-18 sunk the Norwegian merchant ship Wilford, the Dutch merchant ship De Weert, and the RMS Mundra. She was sunk by USS Fletcher on February 11, 1943 off Guadalcanal.

aw5DjMz.jpg

I-45, at Sasebo, December 29, 1943. She is a Type B Mod. 1 cruiser sub, externally they looked the same as the I-15-class, but they were built from high-tensile steel and had simpler diesel engines. She was sunk by USS Whitehurst (DE-634) east of the Philippines.

pjXtGt9.jpg

I-54, at Tokyo Bay, 1944. The first of the Type B Mod. 2 cruiser subs, her service only saw the damaging of USS Santee (CVE-29) before her sinking at the hands of USS Gridley (DD-380) and USS Helm (DD-388) east of the Philippines. Her sister I-58 on the other hand made her way into history when she sunk USS Indianapolis (CA-35) on June 30, 1945.

BARgU5D.jpg

Ro-28, 1927. Ro-28 was a Kaichū-class sub that was a double hull, medium type sub. She was decommissioned before the war and was scrapped after.

Continued below...

• Cool 3

[HINON]
[HINON]
6,801 posts
5,220 battles

havq9JK.jpg

I-152/I-52, at Kure Naval Port, 1925; an Ise-class battleship can be seen in the background. She was a prototype of the Kaidai Type subs to follow her later in life. She served as a training vessel based at Kure at the outbreak of WWII; she was later made into a static hulk for the Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine Warfare School at Kure.

er8Qm97.jpg

I-153/I-53, on sea trials at Hiroshima Bay, February, 1925. She was the first of the Kaidai IIIa subs and had some success early on the war though most were simply training vessels by the time of WWII due to age. I-153 sunk Dutch merchant ship Mösi, RMS City of Manchester, and an unknown merchant vessel. She was decommissioned after the war and was scrapped.

to331yc.jpg

I-156/I-56. I-156 had good success during the war sinking either the Greek merchant ship Hydra II or Norwegian ship Hai Tung, RMS Kuantan, and Dutch merchant ships Van Rees, Van Riebeek, and Togian. She was decommissioned after the war and sunk as a target ship.

Aj9V6Se.jpg

I-159/I-59, on sea trials at Tokyo Bay, November 25, 1929. She sank the Norwegian merchant ship Eidsvold, an unknown merchant ship, and Dutch merchant ship SS Rooseboom. She was decommissioned after the war and sunk as a target ship. 

UAlf5yH.jpg

I-171/I-71, at Kobe, December 24, 1935. She was part of the Kaidai VIa subs, they had the fastest surfaced speed of any sub at the time of construction, though it was bettered by later IJN subs; these subs sunk two aircraft carriers and had the milestones of being the first major Japanese warship sunk in the Pacific war (I-70), and I-73 was the first warship kill by a USN sub during the war. I-171 sank USS General Royal T. Frank; she was sunk by USS Guest (DD-472) and USS Hudson (DD-475) west of Buka Island on January 30, 1944.

XwwSMVG.jpg

Now we get to the biggest of them all, I-400, at Sagami Bay, August 20, 1945. The I-400-class submarine aircraft carriers were the largest subs of the war, and the world until nuclear subs started being built. She had aircraft facilities for up to 3 sea planes, which were intended, first for a strategic strike against the Panama Canal, second a strike against the carriers anchored at Ulithi, and third and far worse, a bio weapon attack on the western seaboard of the US, killing tens of thousands, dubbed: Operation Cherry Blossoms at Night. Fortunately Japan surrendered before that plan became a reality. I-400 herself did nothing of note in the year she was commissioned and was captured by USS Blue (DD-744) and decommissioned. She was sunk as a target off Hawaii by USS Trumpetfish (SS-425).

eWkcVE1.jpg

I-401, at Pearl Harbor after capture, February 6, 1946. I-401 did nothing of note either, and surrendered to USS Segundo (SS-398). She was sunk as a target ship off Hawaii.

potizSP.jpg

And finally, I-402, at Kure Naval Port, September, 1945. I-402 was completed less than a month before Japan's surrender and thus saw no service. She was decommissioned and sunk as a target ship.

There we have it I hope you enjoyed! Again new poll above for the next series of pictures. And as always:

Fair winds and following seas captains! :honoring:

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

btw, if you want to know what those I-Ro-Ha stands for...

伊 (I): over 1000t displacement

呂 (Ro): over 500t displacement, but under 1000t displacement

波 (Ha): under 500t displacement

Members
5,589 posts
7,121 battles

Man, the last few are freaking HUGE!!

Thanks for posting!

Edited by Wulfgarn

[HINON]
[HINON]
6,801 posts
5,220 battles

Comment pictures are done.

Man, the last few are freaking HUGE!!

Thanks for posting!

You ain't seen nothing till you see the I-400-class.

Edited by Doomlock

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
17,826 posts
4,935 battles

Well!  An acceptable use of submarines on the forum.  Thanks!  This is quite a compilation.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Why were the Japanese into building such BIG boats that could go under the sea? To carry planes? Bigger is better?