KalishniKat

Torpedo Hit Ratio

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

13 posts in this topic

What is a decent torpedo hit ratio? Because I swear I can't hit anything no matter how hard I practice and try. I've got an 11% with Gaede and most of my kills have been by torpedoes but it seems more dumb luck that anything else. The torpedo lead seem useless as those torps will inevitably miss. My follow ups if I vary the angle may hit, but most of the time, in situations that seem like a perfect scenario the BB just turns a little and is unscathed. I guess there something to it that my feeble game playing abilities just can't grasp. 

You are right in the ballpark on your torpedo hit rate. The only way to be certain of increasing your hit rate is to get closer to the target which has its own drawbacks.

I honestly don't pay attention to it. You can use torps for other purposes other than actually hitting something. That'll throw that figure all outta wack.

I honestly don't pay attention to it. You can use torps for other purposes other than actually hitting something. That'll throw that figure all outta wack.

This.

On the flip side you can be a low-to-mid tier Russian DD and never shoot torps unless you're guaranteed a hit, and that'll throw the numbers off the other way.

Like MB hit ratio it depends on the ship, 8% is good in the shiratsuyu but awful in the Scharnhorst. 11% on the Gaede sounds pretty good, there are plenty of websites that can give you ship averages.

Normally around 8-12%.

Each volley of torps (from the ships I play) is normally 8-10 in total, so even landing two torps is considered a "good" torpedo salvo. 

BBs have high hit rates for torpedoes. I think some BB player complained a while back that they didn't have any torpedoes so WG nerfed everyone else's and gave them high hit ratio ones!

WG have even discontinued the 2 ships (DD) whose hit ratio was higher; BB must be awesome!

Only joking! :P

To be honest, with the tech tree torpedoes, the best I can do is 2 torp hits per spread, but most of the spreads miss, even when fired on a broadside BB 5.5km away.  The only exception to this is the Kamikaze R which has the faster torps, where sometimes I can get 3-5 hits per spread.

yeah, honestly, scoring anything higher than 10% THR is difficult, unless you are in yolo range, or you are a good manual drop CV player.

You can get a 4/4 hit against broadside battleships, but the torps can't travel any further than 5km, otherwise they spread out too much.

Keep in mind that in any given spread of torps, even when fired on narrow spread, the torps may be more than a ship length apart at their range limit. So if you fire from a three tube launcher, you have two misses, from a four tube launcher, three misses. The closer you are the more torpedoes in your spread can hit.

You can increase your density by changing your aim point from one launcher to the next so that they interleave. But the math still means most from a given launcher will miss.

Firing from close in will give you much higher hit rates. But as you will probably be sunk earlier you won't get as many launches in a battle. Only you can decide if a target is worth trading your ship for. There is a reason destroyers frequently do not see the end of the battle.

Keep in mind that in any given spread of torps, even when fired on narrow spread, the torps may be more than a ship length apart at their range limit. So if you fire from a three tube launcher, you have two misses, from a four tube launcher, three misses. The closer you are the more torpedoes in your spread can hit.

You can increase your density by changing your aim point from one launcher to the next so that they interleave. But the math still means most from a given launcher will miss.

Firing from close in will give you much higher hit rates. But as you will probably be sunk earlier you won't get as many launches in a battle. Only you can decide if a target is worth trading your ship for. There is a reason destroyers frequently do not see the end of the battle.

That is an idea for another thread...

Comparing how wide that white cone is on various ships and average resultant gaps in torpedo spreads at certain distances.

I know this width can be figured out using trigonometry, but this will require mined data.

Thanks guys. I love the game, but I'm probably not that good at it despite my efforts. At least now I know I don't suck as bad as I thought at torpedoes. I guess I'll just keep working on it. :)